2ndCitySox

David Dahl 2017 Outlook

57 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Dahl still has a ways to go, so he needs to clear those hurdles first.  But we also have to be honest here. We know what Reynolds and Parra are. They haven't changed as players (as say compared to Yonder Alonso) . They may have had some hot streaks, but unless they stay hot by the time Dahl is ready (or if Dahl gets ready), then they are not huge factors for playing time. Tapia is more of a wild card, though his general lack of plate discipline and power likely make him an inferior option.  And then there's whatever is wrong with CarGo. It seems very likely playing time will be there. The question is can Dahl stay healthy to take advantage of it?

He has a bad shoulder

39 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

The Rockies are contending for the wildcard so I assume veteran loyalty goes out the window and whoever hits, plays.  They'll give Dahl a chance to show them he can pick up where he left off last season just as I am sure they will give Tapia regular ABs if he keeps doing what he is doing.  Why is it any more complicated than that?

Playoff teams don't have the same luxury when it comes to developing young players that losing teams do.  You can't be as patient when they struggle.  A manager will tend to go with the veteran unless the young guys show some consistency or game changing ability. 

Competition on the Rockies should bring out the best in whoever gets playing time.  Lets see who takes advantage.

30 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Playoff teams don't have the same luxury when it comes to developing young players that losing teams do.  You can't be as patient when they struggle.  A manager will tend to go with the veteran unless the young guys show some consistency or game changing ability. 

Competition on the Rockies should bring out the best in whoever gets playing time.  Lets see who takes advantage.

Well, yeah, my whole point was if guys like Dahl and Tapia out perform guys like Cargo, Desmond, Reynolds, Parra and give them the best chance to win enough games to make the playoffs, why wouldn't they continue to see regular outbats? 

7 minutes ago, Jericho said:

He's at least up to AAA now

This is your latest Dahl update on 

✵DAHL WATCH 2017

Total speculation, but with the way he's been hitting on his rehab, I think when they return home on 8/1 is a real possibility.

33 minutes ago, fistfullwales said:

Total speculation, but with the way he's been hitting on his rehab, I think when they return home on 8/1 is a real possibility.

they're not going to wait two weeks at this rate.

it will be sooner than that.

Still going to be a real mess for playing time. While CarGo may be the odd man out in a lot of ways, Parra is hitting like crazy now. Tapia is hitting. Reynolds is still hitting. Desmond has a big contract and is hitting. Clearly Dahl plays, but are we talking 4/5 games? Little less maybe? Best season for Rockies in a while, not sure they suddenly just bench one of the guys responsible for that in favor of Dahl... at least not until Dahl establishes that he's not just healthy, but also raking.

1 hour ago, oswald737 said:

Still going to be a real mess for playing time. While CarGo may be the odd man out in a lot of ways, Parra is hitting like crazy now. Tapia is hitting. Reynolds is still hitting. Desmond has a big contract and is hitting. Clearly Dahl plays, but are we talking 4/5 games? Little less maybe? Best season for Rockies in a while, not sure they suddenly just bench one of the guys responsible for that in favor of Dahl... at least not until Dahl establishes that he's not just healthy, but also raking.

I agree. I think it will be 4-5 games a week for him (which isn't bad for us guys with daily roster moves but sucks for weekly owners)

Regardless of how well he hits, you gotta imagine they will give him some off days to ease him back into playing. 

I have him in a daily moves, keeper league, otherwise he;'d be on the waiver wire for me.

I wouldn't be shocked if they activate him from the 60-day DL and assign / keep him to AAA in the short-term. That would actually work out nice for those with NA as a roster spot.

3 minutes ago, MasonBlue said:

I wouldn't be shocked if they activate him from the 60-day DL and assign / keep him to AAA in the short-term. That would actually work out nice for those with NA as a roster spot.

I definitely don't think they'll rush his rehab if the guys at the MLB level are hitting. They can let him get back into game shape (not just hit). If someone starts to struggle in majors, they can move fast.

just traded the guy.

suddenly I've changed corners from "he has elite pedigree. he is going to force their hand into playing time"

to

"the Rockies situation is crowded. They won't rush him back. Platoon coming."

Funny how your ownership changes the perception of a player :P

4 hours ago, oswald737 said:

and what if they trade for JD Martinez?

giphy.gif

If they trade for JD I imagine Tapia or Dahl is included in the package.  If not then one is likely going to be in AAA until rosters expand.  Dahl won't be rushed.  This is spring training.  Rockies will probably give him 3 weeks of action before deciding what to do next.

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

and what if they trade for JD Martinez?

giphy.gif

As a JD owner, I'd like to see this for the dong potential. 

Dahl being traded away from Coors would certainly hurt his value (HOT TAKE!!)

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

If they trade for JD I imagine Tapia or Dahl is included in the package.  If not then one is likely going to be in AAA until rosters expand.  Dahl won't be rushed.  This is spring training.  Rockies will probably give him 3 weeks of action before deciding what to do next.

Probably Tapia.  I doubt they would give up Dahl for a rental.

Beautiful!  :rolleyes:

by RotoWire Staff
(2 hrs ago) Rockies manager Bud Black reported Monday that Dahl (ribs) may not rejoin the Rockies this season, Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports.

Dahl recently began a minor-league rehab assignment with Triple-A Albuquerque and was presumably gearing up towards rejoining the big-league club in the next couple of weeks. It appears that the Rockies have other plans for the toolsy outfielder and are in no rush to usher him back to the majors. In an interview Monday, Black stated that "[Dahl] didn't have spring training. This fella has to get at-bats. So he will stay down [at Triple-A] for awhile to get some at-bats." Fantasy owners had hoped that the 23-year-old could provide value in the near future, but it sounds like this may be a lost season for Dahl.

1 hour ago, RTW10 said:

Beautiful!  :rolleyes:

by RotoWire Staff
(2 hrs ago) Rockies manager Bud Black reported Monday that Dahl (ribs) may not rejoin the Rockies this season, Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports.

Dahl recently began a minor-league rehab assignment with Triple-A Albuquerque and was presumably gearing up towards rejoining the big-league club in the next couple of weeks. It appears that the Rockies have other plans for the toolsy outfielder and are in no rush to usher him back to the majors. In an interview Monday, Black stated that "[Dahl] didn't have spring training. This fella has to get at-bats. So he will stay down [at Triple-A] for awhile to get some at-bats." Fantasy owners had hoped that the 23-year-old could provide value in the near future, but it sounds like this may be a lost season for Dahl.

outrageous-egregious-preposterous.gif

Rockies GM was on Sirius and said that Bud Black's comments were taken out of context.  Sounded like they aren't going to rush him, but expect him back at some point

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Rockies GM was on Sirius and said that Bud Black's comments were taken out of context.  Sounded like they aren't going to rush him, but expect him back at some point

yeah that didn't really make sense. he's already hitting in rehab, there's no way he needs to miss the rest of the year just because he didn't get spring training. the all-star break just happened

6 minutes ago, wily mo said:

yeah that didn't really make sense. he's already hitting in rehab, there's no way he needs to miss the rest of the year just because he didn't get spring training. the all-star break just happened

Not to mention, raking so far. And they're in the middle of a playoff race.