2ndCitySox

David Dahl 2017 Outlook

On 3/7/2017 at 9:22 PM, tsh00k said:

High floor managers don't win fantasy championships.  If you watched Dahl play thoroughly, I think you would consider rescinding your "reaching due to Coors" comment.  Kid can flat out play baseball in all aspects.  With the added bulk, he could be a superstar.

At a certain point you have to start worrying if he is injury prone.  I think too soon for that, but it is in the back of my mind for sure

2 hours ago, Numark said:

At a certain point you have to start worrying if he is injury prone.  I think too soon for that, but it is in the back of my mind for sure

It's a rib injury.  I wouldn't be too concerned going forward, that is a huge relief over it being his back.

2 hours ago, Numark said:

He's also had his spleen taken out.  22-23 year old with core problems who plays a little wreckless ... don't think it's too early to start throwing that word there 

8 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

He's also had his spleen taken out.  22-23 year old with core problems who plays a little wreckless ... don't think it's too early to start throwing that word there 

I wouldn't consider a spleen injury his core.  Ab, oblique, lat, or back injuries always scare me though. 

Man I wish we were getting a preview of this guy, debating whether to keep him now...

Anyone heard news?

I kept him... don't care about the next two to three months. Thinking about the next five years. LOL @ spleen removal

Just now, mevins31 said:

I kept him... don't care about the next two to three months. Thinking about the next five years. LOL @ spleen removal

yeah in keep forever I wouldn't sweat it, mine is keep for 2017 only...

On 3/11/2017 at 10:40 AM, BeantownBashers said:

Anyone have an example of player who had a similar diagnosis and what the outcome was?

tried to google this and didn't turn up much. set google to search 'baseball rib "stress reaction"' from 1969 through january of this year (to exclude all the references to dahl himself) and didn't get any other baseball players with rib stress reactions. it was mostly medical PDFs, references to dahl that leaked through the date filter, and some talk about wacha's stress reaction in his scapula (shoulder) back in 2014. those articles say brandon mccarthy once had the same thing (of course what hasn't mccarthy had). 

anyway... both of them are still alive, although those were pitching arm injuries so it's kind of totally different

He says he feels like he could return to action and had an MRI yesterday as part of a re-evaluation. But I cant find the results of that test or any recent prognosis online whatsoever. Anyone hear anything this weekend?

Edited by cs3

Reportedly will be re-evaluated in a week. Basically in a holding pattern. I'm sure he's eager to get back to work and compete for a starting position.

Just bank on him missing the first two weeks and you won't be disappointed. 

2 hours ago, MrBrett said:

Reportedly will be re-evaluated in a week. Basically in a holding pattern. I'm sure he's eager to get back to work and compete for a starting position.

stress reaction seems like the kind of thing where you start feeling better and then they make you wait for another two weeks before you can do anything. that kinda sounds like where he is right now

which is good, but the real test is gonna be whether it flares up again once he starts playing again

If the NBA foot & shin stuff is anything to go by (Holiday, Beal, MKG) the season is a black box. He could play 160 or 30. Back him up in keepers and proceed with extreme caution in redraft.

Got to be tough on the kid. I'm sure he was hoping to have a great ST and give the Rockies no choice to atleast give him the majority of the playing time.

Edited by MrBrett

1 hour ago, wily mo said:

stress reaction seems like the kind of thing where you start feeling better and then they make you wait for another two weeks before you can do anything. that kinda sounds like where he is right now

which is good, but the real test is gonna be whether it flares up again once he starts playing again

Edited by MrBrett

2 hours ago, bdy1 said:

If the NBA foot & shin stuff is anything to go by (Holiday, Beal, MKG) the season is a black box. He could play 160 or 30. Back him up in keepers and proceed with extreme caution in redraft.

my hope here is that it helps that the sixth rib isn't really a weight-bearing part of the body in the same way your foot is

but in a way that just raises the question of how & why this happened to him in the first place

On 3/11/2017 at 8:04 PM, tsh00k said:

It's a rib injury.  I wouldn't be too concerned going forward, that is a huge relief over it being his back.

As a former college player, I would be very worried. My teammate had something similar, bothered him all year until he finally had 20 or so days off from swinging a bat

11 minutes ago, oldsoul said:

As a former college player, I would be very worried. My teammate had something similar, bothered him all year until he finally had 20 or so days off from swinging a bat

He was first scratched with the back issue on February 27th and I don't think he's taken part in any baseball activity since.  They are, and will continue to be cautious with him to make sure this thing doesn't linger throughout the season.

3 hours ago, oldsoul said:

It seems like it will be at least a 20 day break for him so hopefully he comes back by mid april close to 100%

2 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

In a redraft today where would you take him?

#250? #300?

I can't imagine him falling that low but his 2017 floor is in the dirt. "Two weeks" is meaningless. If he rushes himself back the way some kids do ("feels great!") he could go 150 AB at the Mendoza line. And he was already a little pricey for a second year guy.

OF5?

Wherever he feels like a bet to win, and not an investment to lose. I'm all in, in deep keepers, but redraft I'm looking at him like a Padres OF or worse.

Hope I'm wrong.

5 hours ago, jimbo504 said:

Is he worth a high waiver in a redraft?

Post this in the bench coach section as league size and team specifics drive decisions like this one. 

Well this thread sure has gotten dark regarding Dahl. 

I think there's zero chance of anyone drafting him in the 250-300 range. That's like Melky Cabrera territory