2ndCitySox

David Dahl 2017 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Can someone explain to me where Dahl is going to see playing time when Desmond gets back? Is Desmond going to play 1b? 

That was the plan laid out in spring.

7 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Can someone explain to me where Dahl is going to see playing time when Desmond gets back? Is Desmond going to play 1b? 

With Parra & Reynolds playing well, and assuming Desmond is activated at or before the same time as Dahl, I fear that they will option Dahl down to AAA. 

I don't think they will put Dahl in AAA. He's shown that he's already a capable major league. I can't see anything more than a few rehab games

2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

With Parra & Reynolds playing well, and assuming Desmond is activated at or before the same time as Dahl, I fear that they will option Dahl down to AAA. 

I'm hoping that Parra comes back to Earth in the next couple of weeks.  Best case scenario if Parra stays hot they leave Dahl on the DL for longer than they normally would have.

Screw all you dudes who want to sacrifice Parra's output. Screw you and the horses y'all rode in on.

(Says this Gerardo Parra via free agent pick-up owner)

19 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

I don't think they will put Dahl in AAA. He's shown that he's already a capable major league. I can't see anything more than a few rehab games

Potentially...but where would he play?  They could have Desmond play in the OF if needed and Reynolds at 1b.  As long as Reynolds & Parra are producing, there's no need to keep Dahl's arbitration clock going.  

I say this having Dahl in a few leagues.  I hope this isn't the case, but the possibility is in play.  

I don't see Parra keeping up his production thus far. Reynolds I'm not sure about. I think he maintains his power at least and that's going to be valuable at 1b for the Rox. 

I fully expect Dahl to be starting over Parra...but as for timing and when that happens it's tough to say. By memorial day. 

Desmond definitely throws things a bit. As a Rockies fan it's a good problem to have. We have an abundance of offensive options. I wouldn't discount a trade being made either. 

I think he's going to get Wally pipped.  Parra is playing great, Dahl has a limited track record.  Tough situation with so many good sticks.  But Reynolds will be back to bench and Dahl back to minors likely when Desmond is healthy and Dahl is healthy.  Parra homered off Kershaw.  He's locked in.

Edited by Cmilne23

Guys, I know this is fantasy but defense still matters. I'm a bit worried about Dahl too but not because of Mark Reynolds.

13 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

damnit im thinking of trading him now due to all this negativity 

Soooo. you would make a trade based on the opinions of 10-15 people on a message board?

Any naysayer at this point is forgetting how long the season is.

Reynolds is perhaps the streakiest hitter in all of MLB. To think he or a platoon guy in Parra will 'wally-pip' Dahl is silly. I like Parra  but hes had one-half a season of starter worthy performance in the past few years.

Dahl's biggest threat to playing time is his own health.

Edited by jamesisharden

16 hours ago, Chuckles said:

Soooo. you would make a trade based on the opinions of 10-15 people on a message board?

Yes. 10-15 people depending on whos doing the talking. After a while you come to know who on these boards knows what theyre talking about. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

18 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

I would.

But I'd do the opposite of what the posters suggest.

All the negativity indicates to me is that Dahl is ripe to be bought.

19 minutes ago, jamesisharden said:

Any naysayer at this point is forgetting how long the season is.

Reynolds is perhaps the streakiest hitter in all of MLB. To think he or a platoon guy in Parra will 'wally-pip' Dahl is silly. I like Parra  but hes had one-half a season of starter worthy performance in the past few years.

Dahl's biggest threat to playing time is his own health.

Exactly.

To quote the late Dennis Green: Parra and Reynolds "are who we thought they were"

26 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Yes. 10-15 people depending on whos doing the talking. After a while you come to know who on these boards knows what theyre talking about. 

I can see taking those poster's opinions into account, but ultimately they are just guessing too.

Just now, Wild Thing said:

Aren't 1-2 Rockie OFs getting traded this year?  Dahl will be fine in the long run

Aren't those OF'er's getting traded every year!!

Anyone have a good guess of time frame?

I read somewhere he is going to meet the team in San Fran to be reevaluated 

12 minutes ago, Pjam1110 said:

Anyone have a good guess of time frame?

I read somewhere he is going to meet the team in San Fran to be reevaluated 

yeah, i mean, that's the latest. really depends on what they see in the reevaluation. gotta wait for that