Rotoworld.com Forums

David Dahl 2017 Outlook

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

I think he's going to get Wally pipped.  Parra is playing great, Dahl has a limited track record.  Tough situation with so many good sticks.  But Reynolds will be back to bench and Dahl back to minors likely when Desmond is healthy and Dahl is healthy.  Parra homered off Kershaw.  He's locked in.

You just (inderectly) compared Gerardo Parra to Lou Gehrig. Please turn in your baseball fan card at the door.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

You just (inderectly) compared Gerardo Parra to Lou Gehrig. Please turn in your baseball fan card at the door.

It's a term widely used for backups who end up stealing the perceived starters job.  I don't think it's far fetched that Parra can take that job if he continues to hit well.  They did just ink him to a decent deal a year ago.

Parra was a guy playing 1B at the end of last year with Dahl/Blackmon/CarGo in the OF. And the Rockies still went out a grabbed Desmond with Reynolds rostered. Did they do that to work the 23 year old OF who hit .315 in his first 63 games out of the lineup? Parra has also struggled vs LHP in the past (keep going past the 2016 numbers). Now if Dahl doesn't hit and maintains the K rate then we're worrying.

Fun fact - Reynolds didn't play in 13 of the last 14 games. Dahl was playing. Parra was playing.

I'll have to see it before I believe it. Dahl should play everyday when he's healthy.

2 minutes ago, Stein said:

Parra was a guy playing 1B at the end of last year with Dahl/Blackmon/CarGo in the OF. And the Rockies still went out a grabbed Desmond with Reynolds rostered. Did they do that to work the 23 year old OF who hit .315 in his first 63 games out of the lineup? Parra has also struggled vs LHP in the past (keep going past the 2016 numbers). Now if Dahl doesn't hit and maintains the K rate then we're worrying.

Fun fact - Reynolds didn't play in 13 of the last 14 games. Dahl was playing. Parra was playing.

I'll have to see it before I believe it. Dahl should play everyday when he's healthy.

I attached Parra in both leagues that I have Dahl.  I'm firmly holding onto Dahl, even if he got sent to minors. These situations usually end up working themselves out. But Rockies are going have quite a conundrum if Parra is hitting say .330+ at the time of Dahl being able to play.  My guess is if Parra keeps hitting they'll just give Dahl a nice long rehab to give it time to shake out.

26 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I attached Parra in both leagues that I have Dahl.  I'm firmly holding onto Dahl, even if he got sent to minors. These situations usually end up working themselves out. But Rockies are going have quite a conundrum if Parra is hitting say .330+ at the time of Dahl being able to play.  My guess is if Parra keeps hitting they'll just give Dahl a nice long rehab to give it time to shake out.

That would be my guess too. I think he will be up eventually, but we aren't getting the AB's from him we once thought he would get.  

and above...Things change.  Reynolds wasn't on the roster when they signed Desmond.  They offered Reynolds a minor league deal and when they had that spring training injury run, enough spots opened for him to make the team.  

I believe they were ready to move on from Parra if he didn't show improvement.  They weren't too happy with him or the way he prepared himself (or didn't prepare himself) for games last year.  ...but, things change.  He's looked better so far.  Doubtful he plays vs lefties and he has to show he can do it on the road, which he was awful on last season.  Also, last year they had Walt Weiss as manager.  This season they have Bud Black.  I wouldn't look at what they did last season and assume they'll do it again.  

Considering all the injuries  i'm sure the Rockies and their fans feel pretty fortunate to have the current situation.  Even Reynolds who didn't have a contract can't be to upset when Desmond comes back and claims the majority of the playing time at 1st. Dahl on the other hand can't catch a break....

David Dahl

Dahl will join team on Thursday for evaluation

By Brad McKenney, Rockies Correspondent, Tue, Apr 11th 1:13pm EDT

David Dahl stayed in Scottsdale at the Rockies training facility after Spring Training to rehab his ailing ribs, but he will join the team in San Francisco on Thursday for reevaluation by the team's medical staff. (Denver Post)

Fantasy Impact
Dahl's rehab process is moving slowly and the Rockies are taking every precaution necessary to ensure the long-term health of their 23-year-old outfielder. Once he receives medical clearance, he'll spend time on a rehab assignment before making his 2017 debut. Mid-May looks like a reasonable timetable for his return to the Rockies.

Mid-May? That seems like worst case IMO. Say he gets cleared for rehab soon (from that update wasn't sure if he could be cleared starting Thursday in SF) but say he's cleared in week or so, I can't see mid-may as soonest he's back. I'm thinking early May. 

Knocking wood this is his only stint this year. Lucky he was hurt early enough to make adjustments. I hedged Dahl with Ozuna in a couple of keepers and am looking long and hard at dealing him as soon as he's playing again. Probably see what I can get in one but not the other.

4 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:
  1. sounds like he is feeling good
  2. scan coming this Friday

"It's going well. I'm progressing. Running, throwing, lifting weights," he said. "This is the type of injury that can keep coming back and be a nuisance the rest of the season. So we'll take our time and make sure it heals completely."

From the article. He wasn't supposed to be throwing last I checked in so it's nice to see he's resuming most activities.

April 24th isn't happening. I was wrong there. Get him swinging, and some timing work in simulated games/minors. It's warming up in Colorado....

40 minutes ago, radioflyer9 said:

What are we hoping to get out of Dahl? Top 30 OF? I'm assuming he'll bat 5th and Story 6th 

Maybe Top 30.  I can see Dahl going .270/60/15/60/15 when he comes back.

When the Rockies are fully healthy its 5th. Desmond, 6th. Story, 7th. Dahl, 8th. Murphy

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:42 AM, smuz1 said:

Maybe Top 30.  I can see Dahl going .270/60/15/60/15 when he comes back.

When the Rockies are fully healthy its 5th. Desmond, 6th. Story, 7th. Dahl, 8th. Murphy

When are the Rockies healthy? :)

Dahl was expected to compete with Gerardo Parra to start in left field, but injured his rip. Parra has played well in his absence. Dahl has resumed some baseball activities, even joining the team in San Francisco for a spell. He looked close, but the team pumped the brakes a bit on his recovery.

“Basically, what they did is they backed him off of activity because this is one of those injuries in the rib area where you can aggravate it,” Harding said. “So, he’s doing weightlifting, he’s doing as much baseball activity as possible, but they were keeping him from swinging the bat.”

According to Harding, Dahl will head to Arizona for a bone scan on Friday. Once he is cleared, Harding believes the outfielder will need 40 at-bats, either in extended Spring Training or in the minors.

Looking to be a minute.

On 4/17/2017 at 9:00 PM, radioflyer9 said:

What are we hoping to get out of Dahl? Top 30 OF? I'm assuming he'll bat 5th and Story 6th 

He's a really nice upside piece to have on the DL, and in a keeper/dynasty he is a gem

for this year I'd keep expectations tempered. The talent is strong, but the outfield playing time situation isn't entirely clear, and this injury has a tendency to linger or recur-- so it wouldn't be inconceivable to see him miss more time (hate to say it). Ideally though, he is fully healed and it won't be an issue.

Then there is the issue of getting his timing down, dealing with typical sophomore struggles and all that. 

But, there is certainly a scenario where Desmond comes back strong, Story starts raking, and the Rockies offense becomes the juggernaut of the league and starts scoring 7+ runs seemingly every night, and Dahl is right in the middle of it, scoring tons of runs, lacing RBI doubles in the gap, stealing bases here and there, bashing homers. That's the upside I couldn't pass up when Dahl was sitting there in the draft, stressed ribs and all... 

"Dahl received an MRI bone scan for the injured rib on his right side, a stressed bone that took him out of spring training in early March. The test “went very well,” according to a source, and Dahl will begin hitting soon, likely this weekend at extended spring training."

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/21/rockies-revving-ian-desmond-david-dahl/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports+(Denver+Post%3A+Sports)