Dirty Little Birdie

New York Yankees 2017 Outlook

11 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

His excuse for not challenging that call was pathetic. The guy is a complete dunce.

disagree, hes a good coach...but this is a monumental blunder 

The game last night was terrific.  

Makes me think of a few sleepers for next year, like Greg Bird.  Getting a HR off Andrew Miller as a LHP is most impressive.  Announcer said only Odor has done it in the last 3 years.  Tanaka showed he can still pitch, the 15k performance against the Jays and now this performance against the Indians.  He's someone to consider for a nice sleeper pick for 2018.  

For the Indians, Jason Kipnis looks like he is fully healthy and can do some damage.  But power/speed combinations in the middle infield arne't as rare as they used to be.

Not a sleeper, but Carrasco looked so locked in, it may wise to reach for him if you miss out on the top 5 SP.

8 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Makes me think of a few sleepers for next year, like Greg Bird.  Getting a HR off Andrew Miller as a LHP is most impressive.  Announcer said only Odor has done it in the last 3 years.  Tanaka showed he can still pitch, the 15k performance against the Jays and now this performance against the Indians.  He's someone to consider for a nice sleeper pick for 2018.  

For the Indians, Jason Kipnis looks like he is fully healthy and can do some damage.  But power/speed combinations in the middle infield arne't as rare as they used to be.

Not a sleeper, but Carrasco looked so locked in, it may wise to reach for him if you miss out on the top 5 SP.

love me some greg bird

On 10/9/2017 at 11:13 AM, KingJoffrey said:

Carrasco has elite potential but health has always been a concern

GONNA BE SUCH A TOUGH SERIES AGAINST A TEAM THAT IS PLAYING FOR MUCH MORE THAN JUST A SHOT AT THE WORLD SERIES. THEY HIT THE CRAP OUT OF THE BALL LAST SERIES - HOPEFULLY THEY BLEW THEIR LOAD. LOOKS TO ME LIKE JUDGE HAS BEEN GETTING SQUEEZED A LOT WHICH HAS BEEN MESSING WITH HIS ALREADY MESSED UP HEAD. I THINK/HOPE HELL COME AROUND NEXT SERIES. I FEEL LIKE HE NEEDS TO GROW SOME BALLS AND LET THE UMPS KNOW HES NOT HAPPY WITH SOME OF THE CALLED STRIKES THAT HAVE BEEN CALLED AGAINST HIM THAT ARE CLEARLY A BIT OUT/INSIDE. THOSE PITCHES ARE WHAT IS REALLY SCREWING WITH HIM MENTALLY - ITS LIKE HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT CONSTITUTES A BALL/STRIKE ANYMORE. 

IF ANYONE IS WONDERING - VERLANDER HAS NOT PITCHED AGAINST THE YANKS SO FAR THIS YEAR (TO MY SURPRISE) AND OWNS A 3.87 LIFETIME ERA AGAINST US. MEANWHILE, KEUCHEL PITCHED ONCE AGAINST US THIS YEAR (A 6 INNING GEM WITH 9 KS) AND ALSO HAS A STELLAR 1.4 LIFETIME ERA VS. US. WE'RE REALLY GOING GO NEED TO STEP UP IF WE WANT TO WIN THIS SERIES. 

6 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

GONNA BE SUCH A TOUGH SERIES AGAINST A TEAM THAT IS PLAYING FOR MUCH MORE THAN JUST A SHOT AT THE WORLD SERIES. THEY HIT THE CRAP OUT OF THE BALL LAST SERIES - HOPEFULLY THEY BLEW THEIR LOAD. LOOKS TO ME LIKE JUDGE HAS BEEN GETTING SQUEEZED A LOT WHICH HAS BEEN MESSING WITH HIS ALREADY MESSED UP HEAD. I THINK/HOPE HELL COME AROUND NEXT SERIES. I FEEL LIKE HE NEEDS TO GROW SOME BALLS AND LET THE UMPS KNOW HES NOT HAPPY WITH SOME OF THE CALLED STRIKES THAT HAVE BEEN CALLED AGAINST HIM THAT ARE CLEARLY A BIT OUT/INSIDE. THOSE PITCHES ARE WHAT IS REALLY SCREWING WITH HIM MENTALLY - ITS LIKE HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT CONSTITUTES A BALL/STRIKE ANYMORE. 

IF ANYONE IS WONDERING - VERLANDER HAS NOT PITCHED AGAINST THE YANKS SO FAR THIS YEAR (TO MY SURPRISE) AND OWNS A 3.87 LIFETIME ERA AGAINST US. MEANWHILE, KEUCHEL PITCHED ONCE AGAINST US THIS YEAR (A 6 INNING GEM WITH 9 KS) AND ALSO HAS A STELLAR 1.4 LIFETIME ERA VS. US. WE'RE REALLY GOING GO NEED TO STEP UP IF WE WANT TO WIN THIS SERIES. 

True, and DiDi was 0 for 13 vs Kluber before last night....................

23 hours ago, rich22 said:

True, and DiDi was 0 for 13 vs Kluber before last night....................

GRANTED, BUT THEN AGAIN KLUBER PITCHED TO A TUNE OF A 12.4 ERA CUMULATIVE ERA THIS POST SEASON.....I DOUBT KEUCHEL AND VERLANDER WILL FOLLOW SUIT BUT HEY, I GUESS YOU NEVER KNOW. 

Cleveland really helped the Yankees win. Catcher interference right before DiDi's second HR. Then some very sloppy fielding in the t of the ninth. But the Yankees took advantage of every mistake. Quite honestly the Yankees had the better team also. 

5 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Cleveland really helped the Yankees win. Catcher interference right before DiDi's second HR. Then some very sloppy fielding in the t of the ninth. But the Yankees took advantage of every mistake. Quite honestly the Yankees had the better team also. 

Catchers interference was in a different inning.    They didn't score that inning

Edited by rich22

This may sound awfully simple, but, I think, if yanks split first 2, they win series.   

Edited by rich22

On 10/8/2017 at 8:52 AM, My Dinner With Andre said:

I think Girardi lost a lot of respect and credibility with not just the decision not to challenge but the decision combined with the subsequent explanation.

I think a lot of the media made a huge deal about this, but I don't think he would have won the challenge.

Should he have challenged? Maybe, but that is a different debate, but it's pretty clear that the ball changed direction and umpires have been given a directive NOT to change a call if there is even the slightest chance that the call on the field is correct, then it is upheld.  With that ball changing direction like it did, regardless of whether it hit the knob or the player, it would have created that doubt for the replay umps and therefore, I don't think it would have been overturned given how the league ruled on replays pretty much all season.  Even the slightest doubt and the call on the field is upheld.

Good job by the Yankees on recovering from that Game 2.  I was rooting for Cleveland, but there is a lot to like about this Yankee club.  Gardner's AB last night was about as gritty as they get.  I loved seeing the old war horse CC come out there and pitch his a** off. This team has some fight to them. 

There is, at least, one replay that showed it clearly hit the knob, and that's it.   Of course, the ball would change direction by hitting the knob of the bat.   I'm, almost certain, it would've been overturned.

Thoughts on rotation?   Hasn't been posted yet.

I'm doing Gray, Severino, Tanaka, CC in that order.    

Game 1......only choices are Gray on extended rest or Tanaka on 4 days rest.   I'm going Gray

Game 2........  Severino, 4 days rest, on Road (excellent) or Tanaka, on Road (very poor).   I'm going Severino

Game 3........Tanaka ......Great at home

Game 4........CC. 

They can go CC, on regular rest, in games 3, if they want him starting game 7

Edited by rich22

11 minutes ago, rich22 said:

There is, at least, one replay that showed it clearly hit the knob, and that's it.   Of course, the ball would change direction by hitting the knob of the bat.   I'm, almost certain, it would've been overturned.

There it is though.  There is the speck of doubt.

I read a quote from a replay official earlier in the year that they were told "unless they could bet their house on it, unless they were absolutely 100% sure that it was the correct call, that they should not overturn the call on the field."

I saw so many replays this year were I too was "almost certain" that it should have been overturned and it wasn't.

I think the very fact it changed direction there means that it clearly hit something.  There seemed to be no way from the replay to confirm whether it hit just the knob, or also grazed the hand.  I think we are going on the lack of reaction from the player, but that is irrelevant to the replay official.  Would they bet their house that it didn't catch part of the hand?  After watching a ton of baseball this year and seeing the plays that weren't overturned, I think it would have stood based on the way that so many other replays went this year.

5 minutes ago, The Czar said:

There it is though.  There is the speck of doubt.

I read a quote from a replay official earlier in the year that they were told "unless they could bet their house on it, unless they were absolutely 100% sure that it was the correct call, that they should not overturn the call on the field."

I saw so many replays this year were I too was "almost certain" that it should have been overturned and it wasn't.

I think the very fact it changed direction there means that it clearly hit something.  There seemed to be no way from the replay to confirm whether it hit just the knob, or also grazed the hand.  I think we are going on the lack of reaction from the player, but that is irrelevant to the replay official.  Would they bet their house that it didn't catch part of the hand?  After watching a ton of baseball this year and seeing the plays that weren't overturned, I think it would have stood based on the way that so many other replays went this year.

OK, but they seem to overturn calls on much less certainty.  The yankees won 75% of their challenges this year.   In my eyes, I'm certain it hit the knob.   I can't speak for everyone else, therefore, the "almost"

Edited by rich22

20 minutes ago, rich22 said:

Game 1......only choices are Gray on extended rest or Tanaka on 4 days rest.   I'm going Gray

Game 2........  Severino, 4 days rest, on Road (excellent) or Tanaka, on Road (very poor).   I'm going Severino

Game 4........CC. 

That's what I would go with.

I don't think they will try to press CC for 2 given his short leash and knee issues down the stretch. Tanaka for 2 starts given how he threw last game and that gem in Toronto seems like a much better 2-start option.

23 minutes ago, rich22 said:

Game 4........CC. 

going Tanaka then Severino games 1 and 2

really lost faith in Gray

CC game 3

Edited by rich22

13 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Caps lock - please turn it off. This is unreadable.

They just overturned that call at 3B and I thought that was very questionable.  I, actually, thought he was safe

Edited by rich22

7 minutes ago, rich22 said:

They just overturned that call at 3B and I thought that was very questionable.  I, actually, thought he was safe

same

7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

same

Maybe my glasses are pinstriped, but I still think he was safe.   LOL

Smoltz is one of the better announcers in the post season.  Very interesting hearing how he would pitch each batter. Then seeing it work out that way.

47 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Start spreading the news....Astros are going to the world series

Yeah. Its over. But 2017 yankees exceeded expectations dramatically. Good young talent heading into next year and that's not even including  Clint Frazier and Torres. Although I gotta be honest there have been a lot of atrocious at bats from the Yankees past 2 nights. They made Tinsel beard look like Koufax in game 1. That was just brutal to watch. And then they looked even worse against JV game 2. I would've much rather have had Clint Frazier on roster than Dead Head and Failsbury at the very least it wouldve given him some valuable playoff experience but oh well.