crafty

Alex Bregman 2017 Outlook

11 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

Anyone nervous about a Sophomore slump? Will he play at 3rd or SS? Isn't Correa supposed to move to 3rd eventually?

naw, not like im going to draft turner, seager, sanchez, bregman, dahl, diaz, tailion and urias

o wait... sh*t  yea i am

dont know about position change but it seem highly unlikely it will happen this year

ss correa 3b bregman

No chatter on him - anyone know how he's looking in spring?

15 minutes ago, midlip said:

No chatter on him - anyone know how he's looking in spring?

u watch wbc game yesterday? couple hits i think one off king felix

dude is going to smash and is a steal where he is going around pick 90-100 

Edited by colepenhagen

On 1/6/2017 at 11:06 AM, Flyman75 said:

They underestimated his power because of how LSU taught/teaches its players to hit...especially in the era of college baseball in which Bregman played. LSU taught its hitters to have a more level swing and to keep the bat in the zone longer. Because of the NCAA's overreaction to the ball, HRs were harder to come by so teams like LSU coached their hitters to hit the ball in order to get on base...singles, doubles. When Bregman left LSU, he spent the 2015-16 offseason reworking his mechanics to add the power to his bat that was already in present in his potential capability. It worked. 

Bregman always had power. I believe he holds the Arizona HS single-season record for HRs...I think. LSU just coached it out of him for the sake of the team mission. Of course, that was really a departure from the classic LSU approach...swing up from the shoe-tops and try to hit everything out of the park. 

New Mexico, not Arizona. My cousin has the record, but he used metal bats in his day; Bregman played when NM made the hs kids use wood. 

Bregman is going to be a monster this year! His work ethic is off the charts. My other cousin trains him here in Albuquerque. He says he literally has to kick him out of his gym. He also said they gave him the keys to the field at LSU because when he couldn't sleep, he would go hit. 

My good friends coached him in high school and one of those coaches is married to UFC star, Holly Holm. Alex stayed at their house quite a bit this summer; he learned how a champion trains and eats. 

I just hope Leyland benching him all March doesn't slow him down. 

Lol, I'm sure he appreciates you name dropping all that noise.

11 minutes ago, Krambone said:

Lol, I'm sure he appreciates you name dropping all that noise.

That's one way to look at it. Another, is sharing firsthand knowledge of his character and work ethic to help their team this year. He's a safe bet and very undervalued this year. Bregman put up big numbers last year after the initial cold stretch. 

Edited by topsy05

1 hour ago, topsy05 said:

New Mexico, not Arizona. My cousin has the record, but he used metal bats in his day; Bregman played when NM made the hs kids use wood. 

NM...absolutely right. Not sure why I had Arizona on the brain, lol. 

10 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Kid has the potential to be the steal of drafts. Ill be targeting him on draft day. 

I completely agree! 

I took him in the second round. Not sure why some are kind of lukewarm on him. Skip Bertman called Bregman the best SS that's ever played at LSU, he was the 2nd overall pick in 2015, 2016 MiLB player of the year, and now he's flashing power. Hell, half this forum could hit a ball out of LF in Houston! That Stros lineup is going to score a lot of runs, and Bregman should be near the top of it. Altuve, Correa, Gurriel, and Alex just in the infield alone! As a Cubs fan, I'm glad they're no longer in the NL Central. 

Some people only remember the 8/56 start last year which  is hard to forget. But on the year he went .264/.313/.478/.791.Not overly impressive but that 8/56 should just be forgotten. Happened but the key thing is Houston stuck with him.

Comes Sept the line reads .323/.344/.629/.973  with 8/314 in 62AB.  Few to many strikeouts even still with 16 in Sept

Lot to like with the way he worked through the rough start and Houston sticking with him. Another 8/56 start may not be the best for this year and could see him back in AAA.

18 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Some people only remember the 8/56 start last year which  is hard to forget. But on the year he went .264/.313/.478/.791.Not overly impressive but that 8/56 should just be forgotten. Happened but the key thing is Houston stuck with him.

Comes Sept the line reads .323/.344/.629/.973  with 8/314 in 62AB.  Few to many strikeouts even still with 16 in Sept

Lot to like with the way he worked through the rough start and Houston sticking with him. Another 8/56 start may not be the best for this year and could see him back in AAA.

I don't think we will ever see this kid in AAA again.  He's on team USA in the WBC for a reason.  I really think he is this years breakout version of Mookie Betts last year.  Correct me if I'm wrong but Betts is the #2 fantasy player right now and really struggled when he first was called up as well, same as Trout.  I think we often underestimate just how big of an adjustment the bigs are from the minors.  Its pretty rare to see guys come up and just start raking right away.  The way he finished off last season shows me that he is the real deal.

Edited by Musashi

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

I believe the only chance Bregman swings the bat in AAA again is if he ends up on the DL and needs a rehab stint before rejoining Houston. 

4 hours ago, topsy05 said:

I completely agree! 

I took him in the second round. Not sure why some are kind of lukewarm on him. Skip Bertman called Bregman the best SS that's ever played at LSU, he was the 2nd overall pick in 2015, 2016 MiLB player of the year, and now he's flashing power. Hell, half this forum could hit a ball out of LF in Houston! That Stros lineup is going to score a lot of runs, and Bregman should be near the top of it. Altuve, Correa, Gurriel, and Alex just in the infield alone! As a Cubs fan, I'm glad they're no longer in the NL Central. 

Second round?  Man, that's aggressive. 

Was it a dynasty, at least?

Edited by 89Topps

3 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Second round?  Man, that's aggressive. 

Was it a dynasty, at least?

Yes, it is. Two other managers in the league know him better than I do, so I couldn't mess around. However, I truly believe he will return that value this year!

Edited by topsy05

3 minutes ago, topsy05 said:

Yes, it is. Two other managers know him better than I do, so I couldn't mess around. However, I truly believe he will return that value this year!

Hey, draft guys where you have to, I guess.

I hear after games this year Bergman is going drive around town with bags of food for the homeless and give kittens to little kids. Later we might see him at the bar (drinking sparkling water of course) and he'll probably pick up the tab for the whole place and introduce people to their future wives. On the way home, he will likely save the lives of at least 3 people in car accidents, them escaping from death with only mere scratches. 

Yes, the future is very bright for Bergman! Women want him and men will want to be him. 

(Is the hype train out of control yet? Not if it's in Bregmans town, because he jump on hit the e brake saving sure destruction for alll). 

Btw, love Bregman. He should be pretty good this year!

I have him as a keeper, so I haven't checked this thread... I can see the hype train is running at full speed though... 

My projection for him:

22 HR/ 78R / 88 RBI / 9 SB / .274 AVG / .338 OBP

I'm hoping it's a little better, but I'm not expecting he starts at the top of the lineup. I think 5 is the best possible. Good chance for RBIs still but runs might get hurt. So I'm projecting good, not great. But.... UPSIDE

Firm believer this kid can just hit, kind of like Braun when he came up 10 years ago.

He hit at every level he every played. Look at his #'s in AA as a 21 yr old. Very very few guys can hit like that at that level. Dude had a BB % of 15%, K of 9% and slash line of 297/415/559 when he just turned 21 in AA. That's special talent.

Plus from july on last year he also was killing it. He slumped sure, but came out of it and mashed for 2 months.

Confident in this guy, I'm all in.

Still very young, while having played college ball, put up an excellent K/BB in minors with a healthy ISO, and is hitting in a very solid lineup. Throw in a productive MLB debut, and this is exactly the type of young guy I'm willing to pay for. I don't see him having the tough start he had last year, but if he does it's nothing but a buying opportunity for those that didn't draft him. 

2 hours ago, Folarin said:

FYI - I hear that he's batting 2nd this year. 100+ RS is likely.

Where did you see this?