crafty

Alex Bregman 2017 Outlook

14 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

Where did you see this?

Read an article last night. When I get on a computer I'll post a link.

5 minutes ago, billofwa said:

He has batted second for the past four games in what appears to be the opening day lineup.

Nice. Thanks.

Went off the board and grabbed this guy 74th overall, even with his 85 ADP. I think Bregman is in a perfect situation for him to succeed, and him batting second is ideal for fantasy owners. Can't wait to watch him develop.

Edited by DonaldsDucks

You know, I think some credit is due to this forum in terms of credibility. 

I don't know how Bregman will turn out and I was on the fence about trading for him. It's a keeper league and I was offered him in exchange for Brantley and W Davis. 

But I trust certain posters on thIs board enough that when I looked at what some guys were saying so I could get a beet idea of what to expect, I pulled the trigger. 

Regardless of the outcome, thanks for providing an intelligent community that battles out fair ideas of what's possible what's upside for guys we're all interested in. 

Do we know if the lineup is still Springer Bregman Altuve or Altuve Bregman Springer?

1 minute ago, agg2596 said:

Do we know if the lineup is still Springer Bregman Altuve or Altuve Bregman Springer?

Still going to be Springer leading off. 

1 hour ago, agg2596 said:

Right now it looks like this:

vs. RHP

CF Springer

3b Bregman

2b Altuve

ss Correa

DH Beltran

RF Reddick

C McCann

1b Gurriel

LF Aoki/Gattis

vs LHP

CF Springer

3b Bregman

2b Altuve

ss Correa

DH Beltran

C Gattis

1b/LF Gurriel

1b/LF Marwin G

RF Marisnick

If Gurriel hits well and Bregman struggles, Gurriel might move up to 2nd and Bregman down.

Edited by JCD

are people really worried about bregman getting moved down in the order? if he didnt get moved down when he was called up and went 0-30 or whatever then im expecting a similar leash

38 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

are people really worried about bregman getting moved down in the order? if he didnt get moved down when he was called up and went 0-30 or whatever then im expecting a similar leash

He was moved up to second after he went 0/19

http://www.baseballpress.com/team-lineups/HOU/2016-08-01

Nevertheless, if Bregman hits .260 and Gurriel .320, it only makes sence

Edited by JCD

On 3/27/2017 at 10:32 PM, billofwa said:

He has batted second for the past four games in what appears to be the opening day lineup.

Hinch just confirmed that Bregman will be batting second!  Should get plenty of counting stats and see some decent pitches.

Are they running him in front of Altuve? They could have had him nailed with a good throw but the fact he went was encouraging.

1 minute ago, Stein said:

Are they running him in front of Altuve? They could have had him nailed with a good throw but the fact he went was encouraging.

You can nail anyone with a good throw...

ha i thought i was going insane.  i have both springer and breggy...someone posted springer dinger #2 so when i saw this i was like wtf

I mean, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for him to swipe something like 18-20 bags. After all, he did steal 66 bases in his 196 games at LSU; 38 of which came in his last season (a span of just 66 games, mind you) prior to being drafted in 2015.

Now, obviously being successful at stealing bases in college does not mean he'll be successful in the major leagues. But I also don't think it's something that should be completely disregarded either. 

3 minutes ago, Pitches Love Velocity said:

I mean, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for him to swipe something like 18-20 bags. After all, he did steal 66 bases in his 196 games at LSU; 38 of which came in his last season (a span of just 66 games, mind you) prior to being drafted in 2015.

Now, obviously being successful at stealing bases in college does not mean he'll be successful in the major leagues. But I also don't think it's something that should be completely disregarded either. 

I have him down for around 10-12. Anything after that is a bonus. MLB Tonight guys said he would bat .300 with strong conviction.

I'm liking the buzz around this guy and glad to have him.

23 minutes ago, Pitches Love Velocity said:

Part of Bregman's increase in SB was the fact that LSU turned their runners loose on the basepaths. The Tigers attempted 166 steals in 2015 (successful 130 times for a ridiculous 78% success rate). In Bregman's first two years combined, they attempted 154 steals, succeeding on only 103 (49-74 in 2014 and 54-80 in 2013). Also on that team those three seasons was the Nat's Andrew Stevenson, who has some serious speed, and another LSU speedster Mark Laird. LSU coaches just weren't giving the green light much until 2015. 

What it does show you, imho, is that Bregman is a smart baserunner. He has decent speed, but not great speed. He's quick but not super-quick. He was 66-83 over his career at LSU...an 80 percent clip, which is good (even in college) for someone without exception speed. 

I'm with Stein in that anything more than a dozen this year is just lagniappe. I think in his prime SB years, he's going to be in the 18-22 range. 

Edited by Flyman75

@Stein Yeah 10-12 is exactly where I had him pegged coming into the season. I'll happily take more, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

@Flyman75 Thanks for the additional info. I was curious what exactly led to the sharp increase in SBs. Good to know.

Edited by Pitches Love Velocity

He had a terrible start last year and everyone that dropped kicked themselves later. Patience.