crafty

Alex Bregman 2017 Outlook

some guys need reps, many ABs to find their stroke and I think Bregman is 1 of them.

he's not "toolsy, physical specimen" like a Buxton but more like a hoops gym rat that needs tons of reps to be at his best.

He walks a lot.  he steals the odd base.  When he's on 1st, they throw over.  So at least he's considered a SB "threat"

Batting 8th sucks but at least he has an amazing top of the order in Houston to drive him in.

I'm holding for now.

he deserves to hit 8th right now.  if and when he turns it on he'll move up.

10 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Is the its only April crowd getting nervous now?

No? 

My valuation of him has changed since the preseason, but that's almost entirely due to the lineup order change. 

yikes, dropped down to 9th today.  spot typically earned by weak hitting catchers or middle infielders

Honestly I'd much rather have 9th than like 8th or 7th. Being followed by Springer, Altuve, Correa and everyone is way better for runs.

People aren't starting him at his point in weekly leagues are they?  I get holding him unless you are in 10 team league but he's been useless.

21 hours ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

He. Will. Be. Fine.

PATIENCE

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

He Gone!

What does this mean? You dropped him? If so, you may be able to say later this summer that dropping him was a shrewd, helpful move, but seems more likely you'll regret it.  I mean, there are obviously concerns about this guy, but even during this dreadful stretch, he's sporting a .340 OBP.

15 hours ago, SoundMaster said:
On 4/23/2017 at 0:21 PM, The General said:

He will hit a home run this month. Calling it.

:(

This is the month. I'm sure of it.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:37 PM, The General said:

I sure hope so.   I have multiple shares of Bregman.

On Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 10:37 AM, The General said:

Haha...you still might be going out on a limb here!

Edited by knuckleheads

Any chance of Marwin eating into boy wonder's playing time?  Got a sinking feeling Hinch may ride the hot hand with Marwin, but hopefully it's by moving him around the diamond.  Bregman is putting together solid AB's when I get the chance to watch, but at some point he's gotta start producing.  The peripherals are all there to last season, but as others have mentioned the ground ball rate has skyrocketed, with his GB/FB ratios nearly tripling from 0.67 to 1.64. 

He was dropped in one of my leagues. But I already have Lamb and Franco. Seems like generally Bregman is ranked higher. Considering dropping Franco for him and let him ride the bench until he heats up. Not asking for advice, just wondering how people value him going forward? If he going to end up top 10-12 3B?

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

He was dropped in one of my leagues. But I already have Lamb and Franco. Seems like generally Bregman is ranked higher. Considering dropping Franco for him and let him ride the bench until he heats up. Not asking for advice, just wondering how people value him going forward? If he going to end up top 10-12 3B?

In a redraft I'd say he's probably WW material outside of very deep leagues. I'd rather have Franco for the power upside

I grabbed him too because he was out there but I don't really want or need him either. He might be getting thrown back

has he been turning things around? 7 game hitting streak.

I don't own him and haven't been paying attention, but what has been his problem this season?

I look at fangraphs.com and unless I'm missing something nothing jumps out that should make him bad.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=17678&position=3B

BB% is up from lat season, 9.1% to 6.9%.

K% are down from last season, 16.4% to 24.0%.

hard hit % similar, media hit % similar.

LD% down, but still good at 21.8%, compared to 28.2% last season.

contact % is up, 85.5% to 74.7%.

On 5/3/2017 at 0:14 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

At this point, I'd be surprised if he ended up as a top 10-12 3B. Fortunately, he got enough games combined at 2B/SS last year to qualify for MI in Yahoo this year, or else he wouldn't be playing for me at all. In fact, if Peraza and/or Nunez were who many thought they'd be headed into this season, Bregman would be riding my bench. 

At this point, I don't place a lot of value on Bregman...not even going forward. He has to show something, and he really hasn't so far. He's on pace for around 55 runs and 40-45 RBI with no power to speak of. Can he get hot like he did last year? Sure, and in a keeper league I'm holding in hopes that he figures it out. But he needs to start showing some signs of life for fantasy owners...aside from his ability to draw a walk and hit a single. 

Bregman's .664 OPS says it all.  Marwin Gonzalez may be taking over for him at 3B soon.

3 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

has he been turning things around? 7 game hitting streak.

I don't own him and haven't been paying attention, but what has been his problem this season?

I look at fangraphs.com and unless I'm missing something nothing jumps out that should make him bad.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=17678&position=3B

BB% is up from lat season, 9.1% to 6.9%.

K% are down from last season, 16.4% to 24.0%.

hard hit % similar, media hit % similar.

LD% down, but still good at 21.8%, compared to 28.2% last season.

contact % is up, 85.5% to 74.7%.

A huge difference is his 48% ground ball rate. It was 28% last year. And fly ball rate is 29% when it was 43% last year. I agree tho, everything else other than those two things looks good. Needs to start elevating the ball.