tywalson

Billy Hamilton 2017 Outlook

What do you all think of his outlook for the upcoming season? His injury is behind him and should be 100% healthy for spring training. We we should expect him to man CF and bat lead off for the still decent Reds lineup in 2017. 

Still a strong hold for dynasty? Or do you think he's a good move this off season?

If he stays healthy this could be the year he cracks 70 bags or more, if those improved bb, gb and fb %s carry over.  Was really cooking before he got hurt last year.

36 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

If he stays healthy this could be the year he cracks 70 bags or more, if those improved bb, gb and fb %s carry over.  Was really cooking before he got hurt last year.

yeah it was kind of an odd pattern for him last year. the final SB total looks normal for him, but early in the year we were all like "where are the steals, damn". and then he went completely bizzeirk for a month. and then got hurt

i'm not sure exactly what it all means but he was also hitting / getting on base a lot better that month. if he can sustain anything resembling that month's paces over a full season, things are gonna get pretty hog wild

I have not been a Billy Hamilton fan in the past, but I am buying this year. His second half splits show a much higher concentration on hitting groundballs and laying off pitches that he can't induce those with. He has a .302 career average on GBs and last year hit .368, and you can see he's consciously trying to improve his contact on pitches that result in those. He acknowledges this, too, and has been working with Joey Votto to get there. I see no reason not to believe he won't at least try to continue this approach into 2017, since it brought him a lot of success at the end of 2016 before his injury. Small sample size, yeah, but even if it partially sticks, I can see him with a .270 avg, and pair that with his improving baserunning ability, he'll easily outdo his 58 steals. Caveat: this team sucks, so this doesn't necessarily improve his runs or rbi stats.

Edited by MontyBrns9

Achilles issue pushing the stock down. Getting him on average around pick 90-99, a steal if he continues the progression

Undervalued this year but God if he can maintain his second half and slightly improve 70 SB's are the floor!

Nice article about Billy seeing a doc and telling him about stress in the head leading to body stress. His mind is in a place not ever seen before since the early MiLB days

I think so far this season Billy has easily been one of the most polarizing in regards to his fantasy outlook.   This will be interesting.  

On 3/26/2017 at 8:40 PM, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Always some owner think he's a genius for rostering this guy

causes more harm than help

avoiding 

respectfully disagree - he has a good role on a team if you understand his shortcomings and build around it.....he raised is OBP to a respectable number so the only craters are HR/RBI....make sure you have some boppers at the other positions and he can win you SBs buy himself.  

So, accidentally auto drafted him.. I know everyone is saying he has the chance to win you steals alone, but is he any valuable in points league or is he basically droppable?

I honestly don't know so I'd love some decent feed back because I haven't really followed him much since he has been busting every single year. I just read your write up and didn't know if you had any insight with points leagues. settings are +1 for stolen bases but none caught stealing.

Edited by S1mcity

I feel like he's a top 55 player in ROTO formats, but in points leagues he's eh.... I like to win the SB category so I normally jump on Billy.

1 minute ago, S1mcity said:

So, accidentally auto drafted him.. I know everyone is saying he has the chance to win you steals alone, but is he any valuable in points league or is he basically droppable?

I honestly don't know so I'd love some decent feed back because I haven't really followed him much since he has been busting every single year.

Ultimately it's probably league-specific, but I like Hamilton wayyyy better in H2H (or Roto) than a points league. I had no problem taking him in the 4th (we keep 3 so technically the 7th) in my H2H league a couple of weeks ago. Tomorrow night is my points league draft and I have him ranked somewhere in the area of OF60. He just doesn't do much for me in a points format (again, this is league-specific as far as scoring goes).

In points leagues you don't even have to look what the player does. Just check his total points and see if he's worth it or not.

I wouldn't draft him unless you're in a deep league.  The only thing he has going is SBs and he could be benched or sent down. 

8 minutes ago, verycoolnin said:

I wouldn't draft him unless you're in a deep league.  The only thing he has going is SBs and he could be benched or sent down. 

He's also an elite defender, so he'll stay in the lineup.

5 minutes ago, verycoolnin said:

I get not reaching him, but in what league would you not take this guy?  Shallow leagues should roster him.  Why does the Hamilton thread always have ridiculous takes?  Its not as packed this year, but I'm not sure why he is so polarizing.  I mean he had 60 steals last year and its not like he batted .220

1 minute ago, Numark said:

I get not reaching him, but in what league would you not take this guy?  Shallow leagues should roster him.  Why does the Hamilton thread always have ridiculous takes?  Its not as packed this year, but I'm not sure why he is so polarizing.  I mean he had 60 steals last year and its not like he batted .220

My league is H2H and has OPS plus HRs as a cat, so it emphasizes HRs over SB.

36 minutes ago, verycoolnin said:

I think you are grossly underestimating the availability of steals. A good day at the park and he can win you the steals category for the week early in a h2h matchup, leaving you the option to sub him for a more complete player for the rest of the matchup. 

14 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

I think you are grossly underestimating the availability of steals. A good day at the park and he can win you the steals category for the week early in a h2h matchup, leaving you the option to sub him for a more complete player for the rest of the matchup. 

it's only one cat out of five.  Billy sucks at the other 4.

I hate Hamilton, but have to admit that he is making some limited strides as a hitter. In roto leagues, he's a solid asset, but I personally am not drafting unless I had already built a strong base of power at atypical power positions (like 2B/SS). For Hamilton to have an idel impact, you shouldn't be starting a tremendous number of other SB options.... but if he gets hurt, you're in huge trouble. Dee Gordon's suspension last year demonstrated clearly the kind of risk you take when you rely on 40-50% of a categorical success on a single player.

5 hours ago, verycoolnin said:

it's only one cat out of five.  Billy sucks at the other 4.

He sucks in homers, rbis and OPS if that is a category.  

Hamilton should be batting lead off and get runs.  He seems to had made strides as a hitter and should at least not hurt your team in batting average or OBP.

A concern is nagging injuries that caused him to play in less than 120 games the last two years.

This man kills the Pirates and Cubs, against those 2 teams he is a career .309 hitter and averages a stolen base once every 5.5 plate appearances.  Against every other team he's a career .231 hitter and averages a stolen base once every 13.4 plate appearances.