Topgun

Eduardo Nunez 2017 Outlook

Nunez power is real. He was my favorite Yankee years ago, and I was devastated when we let him go. Hitting 20 homeruns isn't out of the question. We never knew he can steal THIS many bags, but his hitting was never a question. It was his defense. I love the fact that he dropped to round 16 for me.

Edited by Folarin

2 hours ago, Folarin said:

Nunez power is real. He was my favorite Yankee years ago, and I was devastated when we let him go. Hitting 20 homeruns isn't out of the question. We never knew he can steal THIS many bags, but his hitting was never a question. It was his defense. I love the fact that he dropped to round 16 for me.

i had him last year and didn't remember him stealing 40 bags

his two swipes today were awesome...  let the man fly

Wonder if this guy's ever going to move up the lineup.

Been playing well and he's got the speed.

I think the whole SF team is in a tailspin right now with the MadBum news, and it's probably going to get worse as they realize this probably isn't the year.  Thing is, Nunez put up great numbers on an even worse Twins team last year, but that was also when he was fighting for a job.  Now that he pretty much has his job locked down, I hope he can sustain the speed/contact skills he showed last year.  I don't think the homers are coming back, but a .280 guy with 40 steal ability is very valuable even if he struggles to get to 10 dongs.

5 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

Should be getting OF eligibility on Yahoo after his start in LF today.

Too bad he's been stinking it up. I grabbed him as a poor man's Villar. So far he's just been poor (dropped a week ago, still on WW in 10 teamer).

He's been batting 6th or 7th mostly. Seems to be limiting his steal attempts...

Is he normally a streaky hitter?

16 minutes ago, CFN said:

He's been batting 6th or 7th mostly. Seems to be limiting his steal attempts...

Is he normally a streaky hitter?

No, he's normally a lousy hitter with poor plate discipline.  In other words what he's doing this year is normal for him.

He had a career half season with the Twins last year and they smartly shipped him off to the Giants while the getting was good.

Do you guys seem Nunez as droppable? I thought last year was legit and that he'd capitalize off of his move to the giants. Doesn't look like he's stealing 40 bags anytime soon. What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, newyorkspankees said:

Do you guys seem Nunez as droppable? I thought last year was legit and that he'd capitalize off of his move to the giants. Doesn't look like he's stealing 40 bags anytime soon. What do you guys think?

I dropped the turd blossom for Ian Happ. So yeah, I see him as droppable as long as you have someone better or with more upside available to acquire from free agency. 

1st decent game in a month.  hope he can be servicable until Beltre gets back ... if he ever does

Welp, sure enough this guy steals like 5 bags and hits a homer on someone else's team – while moving to the leadoff spot – in the five games since I've dropped him.

27 minutes ago, CFN said:

Welp, sure enough this guy steals like 5 bags and hits a homer on someone else's team – while moving to the leadoff spot – in the five games since I've dropped him.

I benched Addison Russell yesterday in favor of Nunez, got Nunez's SB so that was nice, but missed Addi's homer. Today I benched Nunez against Kershaw in favor for Russel and Nunez hit's his first dinger of the year. Glad he finally got it out of the way. Now maybe he could get hot and finish the year 15/30.

Announcers talked about him making some changes to his swing.  He was late on everything when he was slumping and couldn't get on top of a fastball.

Looks much better over the last week since making the changes.

Power has been disappointing for sure, but still on pace to swipe over 40 bags.

Looking at the numbers, he has the best contact rate of his career, but a low BABIP at .284 when he has been at .314 each of the last two years.  Some of that is weak contact, but his average should be higher than it currently is.

He was the only guy worth grabbing when Shaw got dinged up a few days ago and now that Shaw is good I've go to make room for him.This is the kind of problem I like.

Might resolve that nagging Cozart question mark.

Edited by the real donny baseball

HRs in back to back games.  He started off slow compared to last year, but the 13 SB and ~.290 average have made him pretty useful given where he was drafted.

yeah he was awful in april but has been great since. loving the production, even on a terrible giants team.

10-game hitting streak, up to 15 steals now...  ESPN player rater has him at SS4.  He was SS3 last year, which is at least as much of a track record as some of the other guys who went 5-10 rounds ahead of him.  Some of the guys behind him in the rankings will probably pass him, but most probably won't.  Top 5 is looking more likely than not at this point.