jwblue

Max Scherzer 2017 Outlook

Nationals manager Dusty Baker isn’t overly optimistic about the situation, but acknowledges that there’s only so much he can do. Baker told reporters before the game he has “concern” but that “worrying is not going to change it.”

#Nats ace Max Scherzer discusses his neck injury. Said he expects to start next Friday.

They had an interesting breakdown about Max's injury last night on MLB Tonight. The theory is that his neck is sore as a result of his violent delivery. You can see his head jerk down as he finishes his follow through. 

I'm not sure if it is the cause of the inflammation, but it can't feel good if his neck is already sore.

this sucks for those of us in weekly leagues that started him....

Max Scherzer (neck) will miss his Friday start against the Mets.

Scherzer told reporters that he is a few days behind where he would like to be on the health front, as he still feels some tightness in his neck. He played catch on Wednesday. With the ace right-hander still down for the count, Matt Grace could potentially see another start in his place on Friday.

may still get a start this week...

Scherzer (neck) may attempt to throw a bullpen session Friday, and if all goes well he could start one game of Sunday's doubleheader against the Mets, Chelsea Janes of The Washington Post reports.

His neck and upper back still feel stiff, but Scherzer said Thursday the tightness in the area has begun to disappear. He'll need a couple of days to recover after a successful bullpen session, so if he's not able to throw one Friday, his return to the rotation won't take place until early next week.

I could use the start on Sunday more..

Edited by phatrat
CSB removed

On 8/23/2017 at 2:42 PM, herschel said:

this sucks for those of us in weekly leagues that started him....

That was an incredibly risky start. 

Max took a line drive off the leg early in the game and it seemed to bother him.  Just got pulled after 5 with just 2 Ks.  If there's any sort of swelling/tenderness at all he's not going to make his next start -- no way they'll push him.

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I really doubt the Nats push him to go again... just let him heal for the playoffs.

Why risk it?

because why would he want to go in cold after not pitching for almost a month against a good team

also he's up for this award called a Cy Young and when its all over those type of things are considered when it comes to getting into Cooperstown

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX

43 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Anyone think he will make his start on Thursday?

I haven't seen any updates. I hope so, but I need to make a lineup decision early. Hoping he can help me win my league this week.

38 minutes ago, djenders said:

I haven't seen any updates. I hope so, but I need to make a lineup decision early. Hoping he can help me win my league this week.

I read that he could get pushed back a few days. He faces the Phillies if he pitches on Thursday. If he gets pushed back, he will most likely face the Braves next week. 

3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I read that he could get pushed back a few days. He faces the Phillies if he pitches on Thursday. If he gets pushed back, he will most likely face the Braves next week. 

Any source on that? I haven't seen that in one article I've read.

Thanks.

Nationals not concerned about Scherzer (calf)
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Monday that the team and Max Scherzer are not concerned about the right-hander's bruised left calf.

Advice: Scherzer made an early exit from his start Saturday in Milwaukee after being hit in the calf by a comebacker. Rizzo added that the ace won't take the mound again until he's healthy, but it doesn't sound like this is anything that will keep Scherzer from making his next start later this week against the Phillies

Yahoo shows Scherzer's next start to be on 9/15 against the Dodgers. I thought he would be starting against the Braves on 9/14. Sure hope Yahoo is incorrect...

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers

3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Yahoo shows Scherzer's next start to be on 9/15 against the Dodgers. I thought he would be starting against the Braves on 9/14. Sure hope Yahoo is incorrect...

I wouldn't be greatly concerned about a Dodgers start....day after a travel day flying from SF to DC....they have been slumping and with their lead they seem to bench a regular or two almost every game for rest

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX

Wow 7ERs and 6BBs???!?! Why was he throwing still at 115pitches?! Complete dumpsterfire. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed CSB

Scherzer's never going to take himself out of the game, but at some point the ownership needs to call down to the dugout and remind Dusty that these regular season games don't mean anything anymore.  Get him out of there and save his arm for the playoffs.  Just because he can/wants to hit 120 pitches every night doesn't mean you let him do it, especially when he's looking as gassed as he was in the 7th.

22 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Wow 7ERs and 6BBs???!?! Why was he throwing still at 115pitches?! Complete dumpsterfire. 

would have been a good start if he was done after 6