fawkes_mulder

Monte Harrison -- OF MIA

12:48
Bam: Monte Harrison…future beast or athletic 4th OF?

12:49
Eric A Longenhagen: I’ve always been all in on Harrison and it’s absolutely the sort of ship I’m willing to go down with. Beast.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-the-thaw/

Jeffrey Pastronostro, 1/3/17

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=30902

Monte Harrison, OF

Summary. Harrison struggled in 2016, has a volatile profile...

Harrison was a three-sport athlete in high school, and while his physical tools are bountiful, he has struggled to make consistently good contact at the plate against professional arms. A broken ankle in 2015 and a broken hamate in 2016 have not helped him get the needed professional reps that might sand down some of the rough edges of the profile either. Still, it’s hard to bet against a premium athlete, and if he gets a full healthy season under his belt, he could develop into a legitimate five-tool centerfield prospect. That’s maybe a bit too lofty a goal, but we’d settle for his making the top ten next year just so we can drop this into his Irrelevant.

big upside guys are the kind of stashes I like.

He is slashing .267/.348/.484 with 21 home runs and 26 steals for the season between 2 levels. Currently in high A but he could be on the fast track at 22 years old.

Just grabbed him in my keeper draft in the 9th round. Really intrigued by the guy. Been hurt the last couple years but at least he's not in the Mets org so he will get proper treatment going forward

@fawkes_mulder Thx dude!

Edited by LivingOnTheEdge

He should be owned in all leagues with 100 prospects IMO.  He might not show up on a lot of Top 100 lists this spring, but for fantasy he should. 

I'm guessing his stock is up after this AFL

Great trade for his playing time prospects going to Miami. I think this guy continue to blow up even further this year and sky rocket up the rankings. He could even be up this year depending on how Marlins approach the rebuild and arbitration clocks.

He should get to the majors faster as more starting spots are open, but thats surely a negative team and park  difference. I don't think he'll be up this year, he hasn't played AA and the Marlins would be stupid to start his clock this year. If he keeps getting better, Super 2 2019 seems reasonable. 

16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He should get to the majors faster as more starting spots are open, but thats surely a negative team and park  difference. I don't think he'll be up this year, he hasn't played AA and the Marlins would be stupid to start his clock this year. If he keeps getting better, Super 2 2019 seems reasonable. 

No, absolutely. I agree. I was giving more of a best case scenario situation. 

"

Dood: If I can cash in on Monte Harrison and use him as a major piece in a fantasy deal, will I be regretting it later?

12:59

Eric A Longenhagen: I guess that depends on how you manage your fantasy team. I’m in a Diamond Mind league and only roster players that I like watching. If I were you Monte would be untouchable unless I were getting a current big league stud."

3 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

"

Dood: If I can cash in on Monte Harrison and use him as a major piece in a fantasy deal, will I be regretting it later?

12:59

Eric A Longenhagen: I guess that depends on how you manage your fantasy team. I’m in a Diamond Mind league and only roster players that I like watching. If I were you Monte would be untouchable unless I were getting a current big league stud."

I read that. Don't even know what it means because I've never played diamond mind. If Longenhagen likes him, that's pretty great.... And he has for a while.

If he can improve his contact rate to improve his average he'd be an elite fantasy prospect on the level of a top 5 guy.

I've heard he has work to do on his swing.

I agree. Another one of the guys I'm buying now before the hype catches up with him. (Which has already begun) the main thing stopping it is people wanting to see a longer track record.

A quick google search came up with this for Diamond Mind Baseball: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Mind .

Looks like a computer stats based baseball simulation game similar to Out of the Park Baseball.

Still a pretty strong endorsement by Longenhagen who usually down plays any type of hype.

17 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

a pretty strong endorsement by Longenhagen who usually down plays any type of hype.

Well hes been on the hype train for a while as you can see by the original comment in this thread

From the making of Fangraphs top 100:

"

So last thing here is, people tend to ask us to name a prospect outside of the top 50 who we could see being in our top 10 next year. Who is your pick to click?

Eric
On the 100 or off of it?

Kiley
Either.

Eric
I really think Will Smith is very good. The amateur reports were all about his rare athleticism and speed at catcher and his feel for contact, but he’s added that leg kick and is getting to real power. I think he could be a special all-around player. Top-10 might be rich for him, but I think he’s moving up. Feels like you’re baiting me into fawning over Monte Harrison some more.

Kiley
Really like Smith; he was one of the couple guys I was looking at. Especially with where the game is going, I’m drawn to guys with home-run power and some kind of defensive value, so I’m looking at Heliot Ramos, Seuly Matias, Brandon Marsh, and Monte Harrison. I’ll go with Harrison since he has the most tools and has already performed."

Edited by Dirtywater97