fawkes_mulder

Carter Capps 2017 Outlook

200w.gifNo worries. Capps is currently working in this new pitch, since the other is banned.

Edited by Backdoor Slider

56 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Guy throws 100mph.  With MLB's obsession to make silly rules to speed up the game, you'd think they'd leave Capps alone 

49 minutes ago, jb_power said:

That rule has nothing to do with speeding up the game.  It's sole purpose is to make the crow hop illegal.

24 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I'm not sure I see the connection between the MLB obsessing about speeding up the game (I agree) and them making a legitimate rule to stop pitchers from hopping closer to the batter before throwing. 

37 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Swing and a miss

Strike two!

28 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

200w.gifNo worries. Capps is currently working in this new pitch, since the other is banned.

She is SMOKING hot!!

10 hours ago, RotoGenius said:

She is SMOKING hot!!

It must be the pink hat and pink shoes, I don't see it.

16 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Swing and a miss

A swing and hit and a resolution to the batter in hand speeds the game up.  Not a swing and miss three times.

16 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I'm not sure I see the connection between the MLB obsessing about speeding up the game (I agree) and them making a legitimate rule to stop pitchers from hopping closer to the batter before throwing. 

There's not one.  It was a joke...and apparently a bad one.  It did somewhat redeem itself since half the forum thought it was an actual serious comment.  I'll do better next time 

What is Capps' status for 2017?  I was just on Roster Resource and it says he is out for the whole year.  Say it ain't so!

2 hours ago, Trader Mac said:

What is Capps' status for 2017?  I was just on Roster Resource and it says he is out for the whole year.  Say it ain't so!

This taken right from the website you're posting on:

Padres manager Andy Green is aiming for Carter Capps (elbow) to make his Cactus League debut around mid-March.
Capps, who is coming back from Tommy John surgery, is expected to pitch in simulated games and minor league games before appearing in Cactus League action. The way the Padres have mapped things out is giving him a chance to be ready for the start of the season. He could quickly find himself in the mix for the closer role if he proves his health and effectiveness. Mar 1 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, I read that after I posted.  I just wonder why Roster Resource says he is out for 2017.  

3 minutes ago, Trader Mac said:

Yeah, I read that after I posted.  I just wonder why Roster Resource says he is out for 2017.  

You're misinterpreting what they're saying

The light blue highlight for an injured player means he's out for the season (Colin Rea) 

Matthew Pouliot just wrote in his latest column that Capps will open the season on the DL. Has this been confirmed? I haven't found that mentioned anywhere. I could understand if Capps doesn't look anywhere near ready after today's outing and so forth, but if his stuff/velocity looks good, why not let him start the season in the 'pen? I could see limiting his appearances early in the season, but he's not someone I'd want to keep off the active roster if he's ready.

I think that's just speculation, last I heard Capps was still aiming to be ready Opening Day. We'll know a lot more after he pitches in a couple hours.

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

Matthew Pouliot just wrote in his latest column that Capps will open the season on the DL. Has this been confirmed? I haven't found that mentioned anywhere. I could understand if Capps doesn't look anywhere near ready after today's outing and so forth, but if his stuff/velocity looks good, why not let him start the season in the 'pen? I could see limiting his appearances early in the season, but he's not someone I'd want to keep off the active roster if he's ready.

He is supposed to make Spring Debut today of about 20-25 pitches.  which leads me to think start on DL, but I havent seen that confirmed. 

4 hours ago, parrothead said:

He is supposed to make Spring Debut today of about 20-25 pitches.  which leads me to think start on DL, but I havent seen that confirmed. 

Here's the stat line for today:

0.1 Inning

2 Hits

1 Earned

2 Walks

0 Strikeouts

Don't know anything else besides the top level numbers.  But I would be surprised if he doesn't start the year on the dl

^

and he walked in the run.  Starting him on the DL sounds like the way to go.  SD is going nowhere this year so why rush him.

So is there a definitive answer to whether or not his original delivery is legal now? There's been a lot of guessing, for good reason, but has the MLB/Padres/Capps said anything for clarification? 

15 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

So is there a definitive answer to whether or not his original delivery is legal now? There's been a lot of guessing, for good reason, but has the MLB/Padres/Capps said anything for clarification? 

It's legal

Nice to see a couple Ks.

Thu, Mar 30

Carter Capps (elbow) will pitch a couple of simulated innings next week.

Advice: Capps struck out two in a scoreless inning Thursday against the Rockies, topping out at 95 mph. If his simulated work goes well next week, he'll begin a rehab assignment shortly after. He's on track to return to the Padres by mid-April.

5 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Nice to see a couple Ks.

Thu, Mar 30

Carter Capps (elbow) will pitch a couple of simulated innings next week.

Advice: Capps struck out two in a scoreless inning Thursday against the Rockies, topping out at 95 mph. If his simulated work goes well next week, he'll begin a rehab assignment shortly after. He's on track to return to the Padres by mid-April.

Yikes...so much for the triple digits

8 minutes ago, Osu1456 said:

Yikes...so much for the triple digits

Only his 2nd appearance... probably just easing into things.  Definitely going to look for some reports from his simulated innings to see if he's dialing it up a bit more.

I wonder if the new motion will take anything off his fastball?

3 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Timetable for his return? Saw hes pitching in minors....

It's supposed to be by the end of the month but that's all I've heard