fawkes_mulder

Carter Capps 2017 Outlook

Just now, knuckleheads said:

I saw the ST gif (here I think) but didn't think anything was settled...

Yep that's what I was actually thinking of a few pages back. I did read somewhere too that his delivery was ruled legal as long as his back foot dragged. I'll poke around and try to find it. 

4 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Yep that's what I was actually thinking of a few pages back. I did read somewhere too that his delivery was ruled legal as long as his back foot dragged. I'll poke around and try to find it. 

This was the article that I read. I thought it was more recent but it was posted in February and outlines what the league says is legal and not legal based off of statements made from 2015 to 2016 about his delivery. That's the most recent I have. It seems like the league is going to leave this alone for now as long as there is some drag with his back foot from the runner to his release point. 

As far as any concern about this being an issue during he regular season, I don't see that happening. I do think that the MLB will look further into this during the off season again as more teams might complain about it. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/carter-capps-delivery-is-new-still-basically-against-the-rules/

17 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

This was the article that I read. I thought it was more recent but it was posted in February and outlines what the league says is legal and not legal based off of statements made from 2015 to 2016 about his delivery. That's the most recent I have. It seems like the league is going to leave this alone for now as long as there is some drag with his back foot from the runner to his release point. 

As far as any concern about this being an issue during he regular season, I don't see that happening. I do think that the MLB will look further into this during the off season again as more teams might complain about it. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/carter-capps-delivery-is-new-still-basically-against-the-rules/

Ok. I assume he's pitching his "normal" way in the minors and the fact we haven't heard an update about it suggests it's probably not an issue. Will see...thanks

Edited by knuckleheads

Any news on this guy? Is he still pitching?

9 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Any news on this guy? Is he still pitching?

Yeah I posted in the closer thread. Pitched Monday. Had trouble with location. 

52 minutes ago, Stein said:

Yeah I posted in the closer thread. Pitched Monday. Had trouble with location. 

He most recently pitched yesterday, Tuesday. I didn't see the outing, but he faced 3 batters, struck out one, and retired the other two. 

10 hours ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

He most recently pitched yesterday, Tuesday. I didn't see the outing, but he faced 3 batters, struck out one, and retired the other two. 

I missed that but it's encouraging. Shouldn't be too long.

33 minutes ago, Stein said:

I missed that but it's encouraging. Shouldn't be too long.

Up against his previous strikeout ratios I think he's still got a ways to go.  I hope they keep him down until he is a bit more dominating.  That way I can keep him in one of my NA spots.   Likely he comes up soon but I don't think he's a lock to take over for Maurer any time soon either.

35 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Up against his previous strikeout ratios I think he's still got a ways to go.  I hope they keep him down until he is a bit more dominating.  That way I can keep him in one of my NA spots.   Likely he comes up soon but I don't think he's a lock to take over for Maurer any time soon either.

Maurer's just a stop gap according to the orginal plan.  I hope Capps takes over when he returns.

(i dropped Maurer in week 2...)

11 minutes ago, borindia said:

Maurer's just a stop gap according to the orginal plan.  I hope Capps takes over when he returns.

(i dropped Maurer in week 2...)

That's what people say but I think it's just speculation.  I don't think management ever says something like that to a team normally when utilizing someone in that position already.  I think it's Maurer's job to lose still and I don't think he's blown too many saves yet.  I am just saying between Capp's recuperation and Maurer's record it might not happen for awhile.

The last I heard hew as still down from where he was pre-injury. But I'd like to see if there's any new info on this front. As velocity could be a key here if he's really back

Right - my understanding is that command is the last thing to typically return after Timmy John.  So - if his velocity is down the upside (for 2017) may be capped (pun intended). 

13 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

That's what people say but I think it's just speculation.  I don't think management ever says something like that to a team normally when utilizing someone in that position already.  I think it's Maurer's job to lose still and I don't think he's blown too many saves yet.  I am just saying between Capp's recuperation and Maurer's record it might not happen for awhile.

Got lit tfu today for 5 runs.  Gave up 4 runs in another outing awhile back.   I have him on my dl list but might have to reconsider even that.  I do think once he get's back to full health he'll be ok but that might not be for awhile.  Just my opinion.  Plus there are tons of high K relievers out there that could get the closer's gig if things broke right for them.

Salt Lake Bottom of the 8th
  • Pitching Change: Carter Capps replaces Andre Rienzo.
  • Rey Navarro called out on strikes.
  • Ramon Flores walks.
  • With Nolan Fontana batting, Ramon Flores steals (3) 2nd base.
  • With Nolan Fontana batting, throwing error by Carter Capps on the pickoff attempt, Ramon Flores to 3rd.
  • Nolan Fontana doubles (4) on a line drive to right fielder Rafael Ortega. Ramon Flores scores.
  • Sherman Johnson singles on a line drive to left fielder Nick Buss. Nolan Fontana scores.
  • Tony Sanchez walks. Sherman Johnson to 2nd.
  • Bo Way doubles (2) on a fly ball to center fielder Collin Cowgill. Sherman Johnson scores. Tony Sanchez scores.
  • Pitching Change: Christian Bethancourt replaces Carter Capps.
  • Eric Young Jr. singles on a line drive to right fielder Rafael Ortega. Bo Way to 3rd.
  • Shane Robinson out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Rafael Ortega. Bo Way scores.
  • Kaleb Cowart flies out to left fielder Nick Buss.

A really cool story would be that the stolen base/failed pickoff attempt tilted him. Also, Christian Bethancourt sighting. 

Edited by Rabbit Maranville

2 hours ago, Rabbit Maranville said:
Salt Lake Bottom of the 8th
  • Pitching Change: Carter Capps replaces Andre Rienzo.
  • Rey Navarro called out on strikes.
  • Ramon Flores walks.
  • With Nolan Fontana batting, Ramon Flores steals (3) 2nd base.
  • With Nolan Fontana batting, throwing error by Carter Capps on the pickoff attempt, Ramon Flores to 3rd.
  • Nolan Fontana doubles (4) on a line drive to right fielder Rafael Ortega. Ramon Flores scores.
  • Sherman Johnson singles on a line drive to left fielder Nick Buss. Nolan Fontana scores.
  • Tony Sanchez walks. Sherman Johnson to 2nd.
  • Bo Way doubles (2) on a fly ball to center fielder Collin Cowgill. Sherman Johnson scores. Tony Sanchez scores.
  • Pitching Change: Christian Bethancourt replaces Carter Capps.
  • Eric Young Jr. singles on a line drive to right fielder Rafael Ortega. Bo Way to 3rd.
  • Shane Robinson out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Rafael Ortega. Bo Way scores.
  • Kaleb Cowart flies out to left fielder Nick Buss.

A really cool story would be that the stolen base/failed pickoff attempt tilted him. Also, Christian Bethancourt sighting. 

I'm not worried. He hasn't pitched in quite some time. He needs to get a feel for his pitches. It's like spring training games, pitchers are experimenting  and doing some stuff they wouldn't ever do in the Bigs just to see if something works. A mistake in AAA is a lot more forgivable than on the big league roster.

Edited by HaloFanatic17

4 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I'm not worried. He hasn't pitched in quite some time. He needs to get a feel for his pitches. It's like spring training games, pitchers are experimenting  and doing some stuff they wouldn't ever do in the Bigs just to see if something works. A mistake in AAA is a lot more forgivable than on the big league roster.

I am not saying there won't be improvement but I do challenge the assumption that he will automatically be handed over the Padres closer role at some point this year.  I think a number of things have to break his way beginning with some dominating performances eventually.  He may be working on things but results are a clear indication of how far he has to go still.  It might not be until late this year or even next year that he is his old self (if he can get all the way back to that level).  

22 minutes ago, midlip said:

so is he just hurt forever? 

He's currently pitching in AAA working through some control issues.  Last pitched on 4/30.  Total of 7 IP, 8/6 K/BB, with a 11.57 ERA and 1.86 WHIP.  Outside of 2 blow ups he's been ok but the blowups are worrisome at the moment.

Any chance of him getting traded as SD continues to stink?

15 minutes ago, borindia said:

Any chance of him getting traded as SD continues to stink?

I think they're more likely to trade Maurer and keep Capps

Any updates?  Maurer has had a few epic blowups lately.

Edited by borindia

I think this is looking like a lost season... he's still working on his mechanics recovering from TJ. His rehab is allowed to be extended 3 times because of TJ and this is only the first. With them not looking great - what's the rush. Test the trade market for what you have, get some other guys some looks, and have Capps back when 200% ready.

I've been holding on to him and Dahl since draft day.