kwelch

George Springer 2017 Outlook

I'm not sure why people thought that looked so bad. Definitely a catch, but he also jogged off. I mean, yes, a 10 DL stint is plausible, but I'm not sure I see a severe or even moderate strain.

3 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Crisis averted 

No. Players want to play. Hammys could be tricky and linger. Reinjury is always possible...

1 minute ago, cornerback said:

No. Players want to play. Hammys could be tricky and linger. Reinjury is always possible...

His point was that people were originally prognosticating 2-4 weeks for the initial injury. I never saw that. It looks like the initial injury was very mild. Your point is well-taken that re- or further injury are concerns, but the initial damage does not appear to be significant.

What's your point? I can also walk outside and a brick will fall on my head. All I mean is that it isn't a major injury 

53 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

I'd rather they give him one more day...or two.  We don't need Donaldson 2.0 being rushed back and making it worse.  Hopefully, it really was just a cramp/tweak.

4 hours ago, Yceman1234 said:

I'd rather they give him one more day...or two.  We don't need Donaldson 2.0 being rushed back and making it worse.  Hopefully, it really was just a cramp/tweak.

.Off today.

2 minutes ago, The Answer said:

Out again.  Is a trip to the DL possible?

Seems doubtful given they pinch hit him 2 days ago. That tells me that they think he's close because now they can't backdate the DL stint.

Cold and wet in Cle, smart to give him a little more time off with any leg issues with those weather conditions

Edited by FISH ON

Alright i am a bit butthurt about the fact that i cant just move him to the DL and pick up someone from the wire to fill in. However i feel there is a legitimate grievance here.

If they were not going to play him for most of the week anyway, why not put him on the 10 day DL and get him completely ready to comeback. He has already missed 5-6 days.

I dont understand the reasoning behind not putting him on the DL at all.

14 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

Alright i am a bit butthurt about the fact that i cant just move him to the DL and pick up someone from the wire to fill in. However i feel there is a legitimate grievance here.

If they were not going to play him for most of the week anyway, why not put him on the 10 day DL and get him completely ready to comeback. He has already missed 5-6 days.

I dont understand the reasoning behind not putting him on the DL at all.

Because they thought he was only going to miss one game.  Plans sometimes change in life.

Been pretty cold since the minor injury. He's a streaky guy so probably just a cold stretch.

Does anyone think he's ever going to hit 35+ homers? Or is he always going to be a 20-30 homer guy?

17 minutes ago, Stutin said:

is he a good buy low right now?

Absolutely if you can get him for cheaper than usual. I doubt anyone will sell him for too little

11 game hit streak

It's been 18 games since his last HR, and is still sitting at 0 SB for the year

He is what he is, he's going to be near the league leaders in ABs, R, and his OBP is going to be decent enough with those elite BB.

He's a streaky player for sure, but I still think he ends the year with 25+ HR and 80 RBI

lack of any steals is frustrating, still like him for his other stats but was hoping he could run a bit and take that next step

1 hour ago, Chubbles said:

lack of any steals is frustrating, still like him for his other stats but was hoping he could run a bit and take that next step

Something interesting I noticed today:

Correa & Springer have 255 combined PA with 0 SBs. I thought the Astros were one of the most aggressive teams on the base paths?

Both players showed excellent speed in the minors which led to hopes of 30+ SBs from each every year. But after only combining for a total of 21 SB last year (in 1,221 PA) maybe its time to adjust our expectations to 10-15 instead of 30+. Maybe thats too obvious of a statement, but I'd like to see Springer in particular attempt more steals. 

And yes, I do agree that adding 20+ steals was Springer's way of taking that next step into an elite fantasy player. Without the SBs, his streaky AVG becomes a bit more frustrating to own. Great runs, great walks, great power, but would hope for more than 10 SBs from a leadoff hitter. 

Still happy with his production overall, let's hope the SBs come. 

I just think he's a .260/30 guy, which isn't bad, but isn't what we all hoped for. I've owned him since his yuge minor league season and thought he was going to turn into a 30-30 guy with potential to hit 35-40 bombs. I guess he could reach those power numbers one day, but I kinda doubt it and expect zero steals at this point.