PPolanco

Drew Pomeranz 2017 Outlook

So frustrating. He was in a few binds but got out of em. Good for him though .. promising for us owners.

Interesting start today.

Bad first, in which he walked the first two batters and Benintendi loses a catchable fly ball deep in the center/left corner of fenway with runners on 2nd and 3rd which scores as a Brad Miller triple. 3ER 3Ks in 7 BF

Second, strikes out the side. 2 IP 3ER 6Ks 2BB 52 pitches

Allows 1 hit through the next 2 IP(Dickerson HR) with 4 Ks.

Starting the fifth at a 94 pitch count.... and Beckham takes him deep to center on ball that bounces off the top of the wall. 1 out single to end his night.

4.1 IP 5ER 10Ks 5H 2BB

Do with it what you will people.

Edited by jamesfredette

9 minutes ago, jamesfredette said:

Interesting start today.

Bad first, in which he walked the first two batters and Benintendi loses a catchable fly ball deep in the center/left corner of fenway with runners on 2nd and 3rd which scores as a Brad Miller triple. 3ER 3Ks in 7 BF

Second, strikes out the side. 2 IP 3ER 6Ks 2BB 52 pitches

Allows 1 hit through the next 2 IP(Dickerson HR) with 4 Ks.

Starting the fifth at a 94 pitch count.... and Beckham takes him deep to center on ball that bounces off the top of the wall. 1 out single to end his night.

4.1 IP 5ER 10Ks 5H 2BB

Do with it what you will people.

I thought he looked good. He was getting a lot of whiffs. Benitendi should have caught that ball in the first. The 3rd run of the 1st inning was a passed ball. Just really unlucky that inning. That HR by Beckham looked like a fly out or double off the wall but held up in the 20mph jet stream and carried out.

Not discouraged by the runs given up this game.

@hailtoyourvictorHey I agree with you. I think that he was a little unlucky today. The only thing to note for me is the high K% and if/how it affects his pitch count/ability to pitch deep enough into games for a chance at those QSs. Im interested to see the trends over the next few starts.

Anyone have confidence in this guy?  Two starts next week at Milwaukee and vs T.B.  Hamels, Price, Gray, Finnegan, Ross owner here desperate for some pitching.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Strangeglove said:

Anyone have confidence in this guy?  Two starts next week at Milwaukee and vs T.B.  Hamels, Price, Gray, Finnegan, Ross owner here desperate for some pitching.

i wouldn't say I'm 100% confident in Pomeranz but he has been solid this season (except for 1 start). On April 16th against TB he gave up 5 hits ,5 runs and 2 walks with 10 K's. I know the 5 earned runs stand out but it was written in this thread a few times that Benintendi misjudged a fly ball and that allowed few runs to score. In his other April starts (11th, 21st and 28th) he has pitched 

17.1 innings, gave up 15 hits, 5 earned runs, 5 walks and 17 K's. Long story short, you could do worse. Your desperate for pitching and Pommy is probably better then most, if not all of the other options on the waiver wire. 

Sorry  to derail the Pomeranz thread but if your desperate for pitching give JC Ramirez a look. He's been pitching really well. It may not last but it's worth a shot. 

I'm really up in the air about starting him. Brewers mash lefties and are a great offense at home. He should dominate TB on that back end. Ryan Braun also looks like he's making his return on Tuesday. 

9 hours ago, TheGhost206 said:

Should he be fostered in a 10 team H2H? 

I think so - he's only really had 2 bad starts and owns a 36:11 K/BB ratio in just 31 IP and BOS should offer good run support more often than not.  He's been much more prone to giving up HRs this year.  He already has 3 games with multiple HRs allowed in 6 starts & only had 3 such games in 30 starts just last year.  I gotta believe he will get that corrected at least to some extent.

If he can get a little more efficient with his pitch counts, it would help too...seems he's been given a 100 pitch max & gets pulled when he gets close or just over but that was the case in 2016 and he was just fine.  

Arm injury . This guy is just trash . The trade for him looks so bad each and every day . 

He's having an MRI, supposedly today, but he doesn't expect to miss a start.

We'll see...... maybe some downtime would be good for him.

3 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

Anyone taking a leap of faith with him tonight?

I have to cuz hes too good to drop and cant trade him for anything decent and in deeper leagues the wire has nothing.. hoping he can turn it around 

1 minute ago, Jub Jub said:

Of course when I don't start him he pitches great

Yeah in weekly leagues, I'm not sure too many people would have started him (especially after his last outing).  Next week will be a 2 start week.

1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Yeah in weekly leagues, I'm not sure too many people would have started him (especially after his last outing).  Next week will be a 2 start week.

Are you sure he is 2 start next week? ESPN has him for 1 on Wednesday.