fawkes_mulder

Carlos Gomez 2017 Outlook

8 hours ago, tsh00k said:

Does anyone have a solid explanation of why this guy fell off the map?  I know the Ks from his youth came back to the forefront, but otherwise it has been one of those strange falls from grace.

Braun got busted for steroids around the same time? Probably not true but the time frame is close with Braun being suspended in 2013 and Gomez started a decline after 2014.

Or he could just have gone back to hitting grounders to 2nd like Castro must have after his career year which saw his AVe, OBP, SLG, and OPS sink to lows that rivaled the years before his breakthrough in swing mechanics.

Sometimes untalented players have a couple of good years. Will be interesting to see if Gomez has another good season in Texas comparable to the time he went to Texas last year.

8 hours ago, tsh00k said:

Does anyone have a solid explanation of why this guy fell off the map?  I know the Ks from his youth came back to the forefront, but otherwise it has been one of those strange falls from grace.

Maybe he stopped *ahem* training *ahem* with Ryan Braun.

3 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Maybe he stopped *ahem* training *ahem* with Ryan Braun.

I think he was just overrated and had a good couple months, I do not think juice had anything to do with it

7 minutes ago, oldsoul said:

I think he was just overrated and had a good couple months, I do not think juice had anything to do with it

Couple months? From 2012-2014: 1686PA, 66HR, 111SB, .277/.336/.483

His home/road splits are notable during that stretch so he certainly benefited from Miller Park. Moving from Min (pitchers park) to MIL (hitters park) could explain some of it. Although his first couple years in Mil there was no power so who knows. Maybe he changed his approach from that of a traditional "speed guy" to swinging from his heels more. I'm not willing to rule out PEDs. We know people take them. We know the main man on his team was taking them. It could be a combination of factors.

10 hours ago, tsh00k said:

I went hunting for this after he was drafted in the last mock draft.  All I found was the below article...

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article128478644.html

Gomez found in the Rangers’ clubhouse veterans who pushed him and held him accountable. In Houston, he was the veteran and didn’t have anyone to keep him on the right path.

Rangers hitting coach Anthony Iapoce and assistant hitting coach Justin Mashore went to work quickly on Gomez’s swing and helped him see the ball better than ever while maintaining bat speed.

I'll also add... I honestly think that for whatever reason he just didn't see the ball well in Minute Maid -- batter's eye didn't work for him, or the lighting... something.  

In 2016, he hit .209/.261/.314 in Minute Maid.  

In 2015, he hit .209/.260/.254 in Minute Maid.

From 2010-2013 (no ABs at Minute Maid in 2014), Gomez was a combined 12/68 (.176) with 4 BBs to 28Ks and zero HRs.

22 minutes ago, Dodgers said:

He has had 3 good years out of his 12 year career.

He's only had 5 seasons of 130+ games, 7 of 110+. So 12 year career, but more like 7 years as a full time MLB player.

1 hour ago, Red Sox Nation said:

I hope he's good again, I enjoy the swag he had on the field. Absolute stud when it comes to unnecessarily pimping baseballs. He also Googles how to talk to rich people:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/05/16/carlos-gomez-started-googling-rich-people-conversations-when-he-became-wealthy/ 

That's hilarious and amazing.

7 hours ago, JFS179 said:

I'll also add... I honestly think that for whatever reason he just didn't see the ball well in Minute Maid -- batter's eye didn't work for him, or the lighting... something.  

In 2016, he hit .209/.261/.314 in Minute Maid.  

In 2015, he hit .209/.260/.254 in Minute Maid.

From 2010-2013 (no ABs at Minute Maid in 2014), Gomez was a combined 12/68 (.176) with 4 BBs to 28Ks and zero HRs.

he will end up at like 40 in the player rankings and people will be upset they didnt snag him at 200....mark my words

4 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

he will end up at like 40 in the player rankings and people will be upset they didnt snag him at 200....mark my words

I wouldn't go that far. I think he'll be solid and probably will put up a line around .250-70-18-60-20. I think anything more than that is lagniappe. And I am now a vested owner (OF4), but my expectations are modest. 

17 hours ago, oldsoul said:

Players have had career years since the dawn of time.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:23 AM, JFS179 said:

I went hunting for this after he was drafted in the last mock draft.  All I found was the below article...

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article128478644.html

This s--- is why I love sports.  Makes perfect sense, he has never been a mental giant.. Here's to hoping he's worth the HAUL this year that I spent in my dynasty league to get him a few years back, haha.

My vote is he won't be. 

23 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Every player that plays at least 1 season has a career year. :D

What if a player has a four-year career with identical stats every year? Which one would be the career year?

He basically had 3 straight 20/30 years (19/37 is better that 20/30) not too long ago?  He can easily reach 20/30ish again this year.

This guy is  a puzzle to me , i won't reach to get him. I just hate his swing, He's swinging out of his  shoes.

13 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

This guy is  a puzzle to me , i won't reach to get him. I just hate his swing, He's swinging out of his  shoes.

what do you consider a reach though?

45 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I won't pick him before rd 12-13

sounds about right

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

Bernie Pleskoff (former MLB scout) was on RotoWire Fantasy Sports Today on XM Radio this morning and said Gomez' swing since he went to Texas was much quieter.  Pleskoff said exactly what you said about the Houston version of Gomez - swinging out of his shoes at everything with a very long swing.  Now Texas has him much quieter in his setup and shorter to the ball.

Pleskoff thought he'd have a good year.  I've definitely warmed to him the more I've looked into him.  I don't like the "I was the veteran and had no one to push me" excuses, but he has NEVER hit well in Minute Maid park, for whatever reason.  Maybe it's as simple as that.

17 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Bernie Pleskoff (former MLB scout) was on RotoWire Fantasy Sports Today on XM Radio this morning and said Gomez' swing since he went to Texas was much quieter.  Pleskoff said exactly what you said about the Houston version of Gomez - swinging out of his shoes at everything with a very long swing.  Now Texas has him much quieter in his setup and shorter to the ball.

Pleskoff thought he'd have a good year.  I've definitely warmed to him the more I've looked into him.  I don't like the "I was the veteran and had no one to push me" excuses, but he has NEVER hit well in Minute Maid park, for whatever reason.  Maybe it's as simple as that.

40/40 year?

sooooooo your telling me there's a chance