Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

AJ Pollock 2017 season outlook

23 minutes ago, jb_power said:

but what could he do where he wouldn't be at risk for injury?

whatever he decides to do when he gets on with his life's work he should ensure that he can work his chosen profession while encased in bubble wrap in a sterile environment

Also preferable if he could find work in a zero-gravity environment.  Maybe encased in bubble wrap in a clean room on the ISS.  

"Lovullo said Pollock went through agility drills and some “light baseball” training on Tuesday without trouble."

3 minutes ago, jb_power said:

over / under on his next injury?

I'm gonna go with 4 days

nah, it's gonna be just after you cut someone else from your team to activate him.

Edited by ragrag

Boy I thought my team would be set on speed with Pollock and Villar this year. 

5 hours ago, ragrag said:

nah, it's gonna be just after you cut someone else from your team to activate him.

Fun part of this year is never having to drop someone to activate. Playing rotating D/L slot as there is always a player you can place on it from your active roster.

He's played 2 straight games and 3 out of 4 in AAA.  10 plate appearances.   

Time to come back? 

1 hour ago, giggity said:

He's played 2 straight games and 3 out of 4 in AAA.  10 plate appearances.   

Time to come back? 

Good question... do we activate him for tomorrow?

saw there was a post in A.J. thread and came in to see what his latest booboo is ... looks like we'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear what his latest injury is

Next week it is...

News: Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen said Thursday that A.J. Pollock (groin, quad) will not return this weekend. 
Impact: Pollock is back to playing in minor league rehab games after taking six days off with a quad injury, but the Diamondbacks don't want to rush him this time. The dynamic center fielder originally landed on the disabled list May 15 with a right groin strain. He should be ready sometime early next week. 

2 minutes ago, giggity said:

Next week it is...

News: Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen said Thursday that A.J. Pollock (groin, quad) will not return this weekend. 
Impact: Pollock is back to playing in minor league rehab games after taking six days off with a quad injury, but the Diamondbacks don't want to rush him this time. 

I think I've solved this one. When the Dbacks say they "don't want to rush Pollock," what they mean is they CAN'T rush him.

While Pollock is actually finished with his minor league rehab, the giant protective, plastic bubble/biosphere the team keeps in him understandably is difficult to transport. Now that it has hit the road, should only be a few more weeks before the bubble reaches Chase Field. Then it's just a matter of reintroducing Pollock to human contact. Great news and he should be on track for a late September return. 

Ok.  So Pollock cranked 2 HR in yesterdays AAA game.  That D-Backs lineup is gonna get a little boost post ASB.

they should have activated him today.  why waste any bullets in AAA when you know his next injury is right around the corner.

42 minutes ago, jb_power said:

they should have activated him today.  why waste any bullets in AAA when you know his next injury is right around the corner.

Fair point, but I don't think most teams would activate a player in mid-series.

I was able to replace him adequately so I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this DL stint actually being a plus for him. Before he got hurt he was quietly *not* really the same hitter as years past. Was really struggling to barrel up the ball. We all drafted him for bags but this was a guy that could hit 15 bombs pre-juiced ball. 

The 2 bombs give me some hope that maybe he's had a chance to work on his swing a bit down there. Because it's hard to make in-season adjustments when you're playing every day. 

3 hours ago, dod959 said:

I was able to replace him adequately so I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this DL stint actually being a plus for him. Before he got hurt he was quietly *not* really the same hitter as years past. Was really struggling to barrel up the ball. We all drafted him for bags but this was a guy that could hit 15 bombs pre-juiced ball. 

The 2 bombs give me some hope that maybe he's had a chance to work on his swing a bit down there. Because it's hard to make in-season adjustments when you're playing every day. 

He had 11 steals, 12 doubles, 3 triples, and 2 homers in 163 at bats before his injury. Outside of the homers everything else was on par with what he did in 2015. And all it takes is one power binge to correct the HR course. 

Dahl is his brother. And yes I want him activated asap because chances are we will get maybe a week or 2 out of him of glorious stats before he is on another DL vacation.

3 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

He had 11 steals, 12 doubles, 3 triples, and 2 homers in 163 at bats before his injury. Outside of the homers everything else was on par with what he did in 2015. And all it takes is one power binge to correct the HR course. 

His exit velo was 88mph and he was barreling only 2% of his PAs. 

On 6/25/2017 at 4:26 PM, Low and Away said:

Fun part of this year is never having to drop someone to activate. Playing rotating D/L slot as there is always a player you can place on it from your active roster.

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, squidthunder said:

He hasn't been in the lineup for Reno in the past few games

He was in the lineup for yesterday's game (the early one), his absence from today's lineup might mean he's on his way to the big club B)