ChasinDatPaper

Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 Offseason Thread

25 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

...will end in disaster.

i don't follow this hire either.  Marrone is a former OC and HC, can him and Chip really co-exist?   I'd like to look further into Marrone's OC style from his past jobs, but i have a feeling its not going to be in the Chip Kelly wheel house.  Granted, as i say that, they just hired Chip, so maybe I'm an idiot and don't understand their offensive thinking together.

Chip Kelly always thumped Coughlin when they were HCs, so I think this is the first instance where we see that Coughlin is running the shots. Don't think Marrone or the GM wanted Kelly as much as Coughlin did. 

Chip Kelly is not their offensive coordinator in Jacksonville. They interviewed him, but never hired him. Hackett will be the OC next year. 

Edited by ajs723

I know very little of hacketts tendencies, but if i was the Jags id be looking at this loaded draft class of rbs and taking a shot.

I was an avid believer in yeldon and his talent, but at some point i have to be real and realize hes just not putting it all together. Ivory is getting older and doesnt look like the same player from the jets. Oline upgrades could help this situation as well.

I dont know if its a first round need, but someone like kamara, gallman, samuel, or perine, a nice mid round talent that could definatley push a backfield for playing time.

Its a shame a team with such talent falls apart because of the regression of the quarterback. Was the coaching staff not on him enough to work on fundamentals? Was it just laziness or regression from bortles?

Just to rattle off a few, on offense youve got Robinson, Thomas, hurns and even lee to some extent. On D youve got ramsey, telvin, jack, jackson, fowler. Its a young team, so im sure there will be growing pains, but they need to fix bortles or figure out their qb situation going forward. This team is about to be a QB away from contending

This is what you need to know about Hackett as an OC:

When your starting running back averages six yards per carry, you do what you can to get him the ball.

That's the strategy in Buffalo, where C.J. Spiller is going to earn his paycheck this season, according to Bills offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett.

"It's real simple," Hackett told WGR-AM on Wednesday, via The Buffalo News. "We're going to give him the ball until he throws up. So he's either got to tap out or throw up on the field. Let's just put it that way."

Hackett isn't concerned about sharing that strategy with opponents: "It doesn't matter," he said. "You can say that because any team that has ever watched him should, I mean ... You've got to stop C.J."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000227165/article/cj-spiller-to-run-for-buffalo-bills-until-he-throws-up

Don't trust anything he says

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 11:14 AM, joshua18 said:

This is what you need to know about Hackett as an OC:

When your starting running back averages six yards per carry, you do what you can to get him the ball.

That's the strategy in Buffalo, where C.J. Spiller is going to earn his paycheck this season, according to Bills offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett.

"It's real simple," Hackett told WGR-AM on Wednesday, via The Buffalo News. "We're going to give him the ball until he throws up. So he's either got to tap out or throw up on the field. Let's just put it that way."

Hackett isn't concerned about sharing that strategy with opponents: "It doesn't matter," he said. "You can say that because any team that has ever watched him should, I mean ... You've got to stop C.J."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000227165/article/cj-spiller-to-run-for-buffalo-bills-until-he-throws-up

Don't trust anything he says

Nice pull. 

On 1/19/2017 at 11:09 AM, vikingapocalypse said:

I know very little of hacketts tendencies, but if i was the Jags id be looking at this loaded draft class of rbs and taking a shot.

I was an avid believer in yeldon and his talent, but at some point i have to be real and realize hes just not putting it all together. Ivory is getting older and doesnt look like the same player from the jets. Oline upgrades could help this situation as well.

I dont know if its a first round need, but someone like kamara, gallman, samuel, or perine, a nice mid round talent that could definatley push a backfield for playing time.

Its a shame a team with such talent falls apart because of the regression of the quarterback. Was the coaching staff not on him enough to work on fundamentals? Was it just laziness or regression from bortles?

Just to rattle off a few, on offense youve got Robinson, Thomas, hurns and even lee to some extent. On D youve got ramsey, telvin, jack, jackson, fowler. Its a young team, so im sure there will be growing pains, but they need to fix bortles or figure out their qb situation going forward. This team is about to be a QB away from contending

This team needs more than just a QB. But thats a start. Sure, on paper their defense is very talented, even looking at the stats,but for some odd reasons when you watch the Jaguars defense on tape it doesnt strike you as a defense of lets say the Texans. 

13 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

This team needs more than just a QB. But thats a start. Sure, on paper their defense is very talented, even looking at the stats,but for some odd reasons when you watch the Jaguars defense on tape it doesnt strike you as a defense of lets say the Texans. 

Well i didnt exactly say they were contenders already or an elite defense. Though improved, there definatley not on the texans level.

I said they were young, and that there would be growing pains, but they have young peices in place in a lot of key positions. Alot of potential in this young group. If they can reach it, well, thats a whole other arguement.

20 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

This signing is about as bad as the Mularkey signing in Tennessee last yr. Both cheap salary coaches, than you wonder why some franchises never win. Smh

TEN was doing relatively well before major injuries.

50 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

TEN was doing relatively well before major injuries.

What injuries? We had enough talent to win the division easily.. and failed to do so! Doesnt help the case when you get beat by the worst team in the league, The Jacksonville Jaguars.

2 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

What injuries? We had enough talent to win the division easily.. and failed to do so! Doesnt help the case when you get beat by the worst team in the league, The Jacksonville Jaguars.

Murray was fading due to playing through a foot injury and the Mariota injury was just icing on the cake.
Now that I'm looking at it though, it appears that the team got better down the stretch.
 Apologies, normally I'm good at remembering these things.

5 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

You had arguably the worst secondary in the league and still finished above .500 by beating DEN, CHI, at DET, at KC, and thrashing GB. That's good coaching. Would have been great coaching if they hadn't given Matthews' snaps to Andre Johnson for the first 1/3 of the season.  The secondary issues got them swept by IND, which is why they missed the playoffs. 

21 hours ago, joshua18 said:

You had arguably the worst secondary in the league and still finished above .500 by beating DEN, CHI, at DET, at KC, and thrashing GB. That's good coaching. Would have been great coaching if they hadn't given Matthews' snaps to Andre Johnson for the first 1/3 of the season.  The secondary issues got them swept by IND, which is why they missed the playoffs. 

I had to "thrash" Dick but ever since Roy Horton left last yr our defense has been off. Dick left the CB on an island all season long, time and time again they proved of how garbage they truly were. Cant believe how he didnt see that.

I love all the talent on defense. Really love it actually. Still comes down to Bortles though. He was awful last season.

4th pick in the draft.  Either they draft Fournette to take the pressure off of Bortles or the defense gets even deadlier.

12 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

4th pick in the draft.  Either they draft Fournette to take the pressure off of Bortles or the defense gets even deadlier.

What defender would you want there?   Could make a case for a true ballhawk FS like Hooker.  CB likely out now.   

3 hours ago, 96mnc said:

What defender would you want there?   Could make a case for a true ballhawk FS like Hooker.  CB likely out now.   

Yeah the only players I even see as possibilities are Jonathan Allen, Solomon Thomas, and Malik Hooker.

Coughlin did say he wants to be tough in the trenches though.

Edited by RMJ_12

21 minutes ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

Jax need to use majority of their picks on an offensive line. They are horrible.

Nobody is worth drafting at the number 4 pick.

3 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Nobody is worth drafting at the number 4 pick.

Wich is why I think they should just draft the best QB available. No need to waste your time on Bortles