ChasinDatPaper

Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 Offseason Thread

39 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yeah the only players I even see as possibilities are Jonathan Allen, Solomon Thomas, and Malik Hooker.

Coughlin did say he wants to be tough in the trenches though.

What's your take on Fowler?

43 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

What's your take on Fowler?

Well I live in Chicago so I don't get to watch every Jags game but I do think there's a possibility he can still be pretty good.  He was basically a rookie in 2016 and sometimes rookie DLinemen struggle a bit.  Apparently he was also battling a shoulder injury as well.  2017 will be huge in determining if he's going to be good or a bust. 

34 minutes ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

Fowler is alright. I think hes overhyped. He was outplayed by a rookie last yr.

Fowler was basically a rookie as well.

1 hour ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

Wich is why I think they should just draft the best QB available. No need to waste your time on Bortles

That's not how the NFL works.  He had a 35 TD season, you don't just give up on someone you drafted after 1 bad year.  He was also battling wrist tendinitis and a separated shoulder.  I'm making excuses for him or saying he's going to be good but he's the Jaguars quarterback for 2017.

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yeah the only players I even see as possibilities are Jonathan Allen, Solomon Thomas, and Malik Hooker.

I would throw jamal adams in there as well, but either way they are in a great position to give this defense even more potential. I still like fowler, put together with malik and campbell, love to see them get that big time peice to lock up that secondary. Can target oline with that high 2nd as well.

Offense goes with bortles, and when he was clicking we were talking about this O being potentially great for years. Lets hope he can clean up the errors.

2 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

I would throw jamal adams in there as well, but either way they are in a great position to give this defense even more potential. I still like fowler, put together with malik and campbell, love to see them get that big time peice to lock up that secondary. Can target oline with that high 2nd as well.

Offense goes with bortles, and when he was clicking we were talking about this O being potentially great for years. Lets hope he can clean up the errors.

With the money they just gave Barry Church I just don't think Jamal Adams would make much sense anymore.

38 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

With the money they just gave Barry Church I just don't think Jamal Adams would make much sense anymore.

Jamal is the more polished safety product to me, probably a better tackler and not coming off multiple surgeries, but i get what your saying.

For what its worth i dont think barry church is good enough to forego picking that kind of talent, malik or adams.

Edited by vikingapocalypse

5 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

There's no such thing as having too much depth on the D-line. They need to take Allen if he's still there. Otherwise Fournette makes sense as Yeldon has proven to be a bust and Ivory just can't stay healthy. Either way I'm taking chances on the Jags defense in both my leagues. You can get them very late and the upside is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Jamal is the more polished safety product to me, probably a better tackler and not coming off multiple surgeries, but i get what your saying.

For what its worth i dont think barry church is good enough to forego picking that kind of talent, malik or adams.

Church is an in the box safety.  That's it.  Poor in coverage.

Can Adams be a free safety?  I had his best position as SS which is why I didn't mention him. 

54 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

There's no such thing as having too much depth on the D-line. They need to take Allen if he's still there. Otherwise Fournette makes sense as Yeldon has proven to be a bust and Ivory just can't stay healthy. Either way I'm taking chances on the Jags defense in both my leagues. You can get them very late and the upside is ridiculous.

I have the feeling that they'll shoot up adp rankings as the season gets closer and the ESPN/YAHOO/CBS writers release their rankings.

Source: USA TODAY Sports - Tom Pelissero

Free-agent WR Victor Cruz (Giants) is visiting the Jacksonville Jaguars Thursday, May 11.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Cruz has little to nothing left in the tank. Don't be fooled by the name recognition if he signs somewhere. His impact will be minimal.

I want to see what Doug Marrone does with the defense. He was short-sided in Buffalo with an early exit.

Buffalo during that time had one of the top ranked defenses with Marrone and Mike Pettine. 

I think we will finally see the Jaguars defense that we have been waiting to see for the past season.

On 5/15/2017 at 2:59 PM, TX Babe Ruth said:

I want to see what Doug Marrone does with the defense. He was short-sided in Buffalo with an early exit.

Buffalo during that time had one of the top ranked defenses with Marrone and Mike Pettine. 

I think we will finally see the Jaguars defense that we have been waiting to see for the past season.

Jaguars defense was ranked top 7. It wasnt bad at all last yr. The only issue is the QB and offense. Bortles just flat out stinks.

6 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

Jaguars defense was ranked top 7. It wasnt bad at all last yr. The only issue is the QB and offense. Bortles just flat out stinks.

JAX was #24 in points allowed last year, barely ahead of GB. That's bad. The defense isn't some juggernaut. They have a lot of promising players, but haven't established themselves as good.

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

JAX was #24 in points allowed last year, barely ahead of GB. That's bad. The defense isn't some juggernaut. They have a lot of promising players, but haven't established themselves as good.

Yet they were 6th best in yards per game allowed and they were always on the field.  They also always had terrible field position which explains the points allowed.

Edited by RMJ_12

I have to agree with RMJ_12. I paid enough attention to Jags games to know their defense improved a lot at the end of the year, to the point that it was a defense you wanted your FF players to avoid. Jalen Ramsey is legit good, they added Bouye, their linebacking corps has some speed, and they have potential to have a very good d-line. They remind me a bit of the Broncos d on how they are built

18 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yet they were 6th best in yards per game allowed and they were always on the field.  They also always had terrible field position which explains the points allowed.

And the biggest reason for that terrible field position -- Bortles -- is still the starting QB. 

I'm not saying they won't be better, but this talk of them being an elite shutdown defense has become way overblown IMO. 

Tom coughlin doin business with the jags.

Defense is much better and he had a great draft

Got 3 year LT Cam Robinson  from Bama and RB Fournette from LSU.

They addreased defense in FA.

Looking good Jags

On 5/25/2017 at 2:02 PM, joshua18 said:

And the biggest reason for that terrible field position -- Bortles -- is still the starting QB. 

I'm not saying they won't be better, but this talk of them being an elite shutdown defense has become way overblown IMO. 

I see no reason to transition to more of a running team that tries to control the clock.  I think it will be night and day with Bortles.

11 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

Coughlin is in the office now. Bortles better step up or he will be gone next yr or benched. 

Jags will draft his replacement next year in the first round. 

21 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

Coughlin is in the office now. Bortles better step up or he will be gone next yr or benched. 

They picked up the 5th year of his contract. I think he's good until 2018-2019.

6 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

They picked up the 5th year of his contract. I think he's good until 2018-2019.

Only guaranteed for injury. When Bortles bombs again, he'll be bubble wrapped RG3 style to keep JAX off the hook for that $18 million. No way he's there in 2018 if he isn't the starter.