octapuss

Luke Weaver 2017 Outlook

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Lynn will be dealt.  He will be next in line to get the call.

Where are you coming up with this from? Lynn has previously stated he doesn't want to play anywhere else but St. Louis. Why would the deal their 2nd best pitcher? Especially with the division as winnable as it is this year? If anything Wacha will move to the pen to make room for Weaver.

Just now, Helms said:

Where are you coming up with this from? Lynn has previously stated he doesn't want to play anywhere else but St. Louis. Why would the deal their 2nd best pitcher? Especially with the division as winnable as it is this year? If anything Wacha will move to the pen to make room for Weaver.

because he is a free agent next year and anyone who has watched them play on a daily basis knows they are not winning the division.

Just now, crotchcrickets said:

because he is a free agent next year and anyone who has watched them play on a daily basis knows they are not winning the division.

The division is terrible it's easily winnable. Cardinals won't be selling that's not how they go about things.

1 minute ago, Helms said:

The division is terrible it's easily winnable. Cardinals won't be selling that's not how they go about things.

oh they will.  mark my words

Just now, crotchcrickets said:

oh they will.  mark my words

They won't but ok. If anything they will be looking to add a player or two. Words have been marked though lol

Lynn wants a $100+ mil contract, which he's not getting from the cardinals.

The team is in disarray.  Bad defense, bad baserunnning, little no offense, terrible bullpen, awful managing, etc.  A "player or two" is not going to fix all the issues with the team. 

I fully expect peralta to be gone by the end of the week.  I expect Rosie and Lynn to be traded by the deadline and i expect weaver to be pitching for the major league club within the next month or so.

9 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

The team is in disarray.  Bad defense, bad baserunnning, little no offense, terrible bullpen, awful managing, etc.  A "player or two" is not going to fix all the issues with the team. 

I fully expect peralta to be gone by the end of the week.  I expect Rosie and Lynn to be traded by the deadline and i expect weaver to be pitching for the major league club within the next month or so.

Can you link me to the $100+ million dollar contract that you say Lynn wants.

All that disarray and they're still only 2.5 games out of first while playing their worst stretch of baseball all year. They have also played less games than any team in the division. No team in the division will be running away with it bc they all have their issues.

Back to Weaver though. Much more likely that Wacha moves to the pen if his struggles continue and Weaver would be the obvious replacement for his spot in the rotation.

On 6/6/2017 at 11:15 AM, crotchcrickets said:

Cardinals designated INF Jhonny Peralta for assignment.

It's a move that has seemed to be coming for a while. Peralta has barely played since returning from the disabled list and is hitting .204/.259/.204 with zero extra-base hits over 21 games this season. The Cards will try to find a trade partner to take on Peralta, but he'll most likely just be released.

itshappening.gif

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

giphy.gif

Good for you man, but Peralta's DFA is about Wong coming back, not Weaver.  We get it, you think Weaver's gonna be up at some point...but can we stop bumping this thread until we have real news on Weaver's call-up?  Nothing is imminent right now.  The cards current 5 SPs aren't doing that terrible.  Waino has been better lately, and Wacha...well he's been very Wacha-esque.  Maybe he goes to the bullpen, but for now, Weaver is gonna keep lighting up AAA hitters.  It's likely going to take an injury or trade to get him back to the majors.  Until then, his MILB forum thread should be the one used so you aren't getting people prematurely excited without any real call-up news.  Fair enough?

1 minute ago, Yceman1234 said:

giphy.gif

Good for you man, but Peralta's DFA is about Wong coming back, not Weaver.  We get it, you think Weaver's gonna be up at some point...but can we stop bumping this thread until we have real news on Weaver's call-up?  Nothing is imminent right now.  The cards current 5 SPs aren't doing that terrible.  Waino has been better lately, and Wacha...well he's been very Wacha-esque.  Maybe he goes to the bullpen, but for now, Weaver is gonna keep lighting up AAA hitters.  It's likely going to take an injury or trade to get him back to the majors.  Until then, his MILB forum thread should be the one used so you aren't getting people prematurely excited without any real call-up news.  Fair enough?

I was actually excited more by the fact our gm is cleaning house...not necessarily being right about the situation.  

Just now, pierceNKC said:

Recalled today

Is he going to be starting?  Who is he replacing?

Just now, herschel said:

Is he going to be starting?  Who is he replacing?

Don't know yet

10 minutes ago, mthdmn said:

Run, don't walk?

If he's truly out of the bullpen,then he doesn't warrant any speed of movement.

20 minutes ago, mthdmn said:

Run, don't walk?

8 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

If you think there's a chance he starts this season then I'd run, because someone in your league will take that flier and you'll miss out. Too many times where players were "supposed" to be in certain roles or timeframes and things change.. hes a league specific pickup, but I'm grabbing where possible. 

Edited by osb_tensor

7 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Holds and keeper leagues even though he is going to be rostered in a lot of keeper leagues. But he will eventually be starting either because of injury or trade so if he got a throw away spot or are in any of those types of leagues I would snag him up.

20 minutes ago, mthdmn said:

Run, don't walk?

See above.

Would be interesting to see if Matheny throws him in 8th or 9th inning of high leverage games given how the bullpen has been pitching of late. 

Weaver gets the call after posting a 1.93 ERA and 60/13 K/BB ratio in 56 innings across 11 starts in Triple-A this year. According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, the plan calls for him to pitch out of the bullpen initially.

1 hour ago, mthdmn said:

Run, don't walk?

Depends on the depth of your league, whether you have a open enough spot for him etc.  True it looks like a bullpen spot, but one has to imagine it's only for the time being. 

Too me this reeks of getting his feet wet out of the BP so they can trade a starter and have a seamless transition and not be seen as "giving up the season" with the trade.