b0nfire

Starling Marte 2017 Outlook

lengthy article from CBS about options. I'll quote some of it.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/instant-fantasy-baseball-reaction-waiting-out-the-starling-marte-suspension-will-be-a-challenge/

Top waiver wire pickups for Starling Marte owners.
Player        

Trade targets for Starling Marte owners

slow start, injury history
      DL discount
      unproven hitter
      DL discount
      out-of-nowhere breakthrough
      perennial disappointment

I don't own the guy.  Thought he was a little over-rated...  

but the #1 reason anyone would take him is due to stolen bases.  So I'd target someone like an Ellsbury, Incairte, Kiermaier, Domingo Santana, etc ...and/or keep an eye on guys coming up in the minors like Quinn, Greg Allen, Tapia, 

Not an ideal situation, but the silver lining is a few other SB guys are hurt now and some just aren't running.  So while losing Marte sucks, I don't think it's the end of the world like I've been reading about.  

Spot on, ktt. Quinn is someone I've had my eye on. Also, Mallex Smith is also someone to monitor. Might go to AAA after his DL stint, but he could find an opening in that OF at some point in the near future. 

35 minutes ago, Jrod124 said:

Who in their right mind would trade any of those players for this guy?

cbs is stupid

I think they would have to be in a keeper league.

Marte is 28 and multiple top years left. unless he was taking PED his entire career nothing jumps out as OMG he was juicing in this season.

Just now, SpecialFNK said:

I think they would have to be in a keeper league.

Marte is 28 and multiple top years left. unless he was taking PED his entire career nothing jumps out as OMG he was juicing in this season.

yeah and after I wrote that, I was thinking maybe those were players to just "target", not necessarily trade Marte for. 

The real question is what keeper league/dynasty owners are doing. Bigger leagues obviously it's easier to burn a roster spot over some prospect or fringe guy. Shallower leagues have tougher choices. That's one less spec closer we get to add!! 

43 minutes ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Spot on, ktt. Quinn is someone I've had my eye on. Also, Mallex Smith is also someone to monitor. Might go to AAA after his DL stint, but he could find an opening in that OF at some point in the near future. 

Agree about Quinn, but what makes you think he will be starting in MLB anytime soon?  or even this season at all?

On 4/18/2017 at 9:29 PM, Piotr said:

It is, but MLB dropped the ball in Braun's case. 

Braun also didn't accept losing the appeal and took MLB to court also. But I think the actual appeal was quiet.

Well, Rasmus had a set back recently, which is just returning from now, and while he wasn't signed for chump change, he is still somewhat expendable. 

That said, I just said he is a guy to monitor right now because if he gets another opportunity, he has a great chance to produce the kind of SBs Marte would have.  

There are certainly guys with better opportunities, but not as many that can match Marte's SB production. 

Not saying to roster him or anything just yet (although I do have him taking up one of my DL spots right now just because I have one available).

1 minute ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Well, Rasmus had a set back recently, which is just returning from now, and while he wasn't signed for chump change, he is still somewhat expendable. 

That said, I just said he is a guy to monitor right now because if he gets another opportunity, he has a great chance to produce the kind of SBs Marte would have.  

There are certainly guys with better opportunities, but not as many that can match Marte's SB production. 

Not saying to roster him or anything just yet (although I do have him taking up one of my DL spots right now just because I have one available).

You must be thinking of a different Rasmus.  Colby had 14 SBs over the last 5 years. 

2 minutes ago, jb_power said:

You must be thinking of a different Rasmus.  Colby had 14 SBs over the last 5 years. 

I was referring to Mallex Smith. Chuckles asked me why I suggested monitoring him if you own(ed) Marte. Forgot to quote him, so I can see why that was confusing. My bad.

Edited by Fantasy Dork

1 hour ago, Jrod124 said:

Who in their right mind would trade any of those players for this guy?

cbs is stupid

I just moved Perazza for Marte and Osuna.   I needed closer help and felt like I could benefit with Marte, even for half a season.  I was playing Peraza in the OF and now I will either plug Frazier or Peralta there.

25 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Braun also didn't accept losing the appeal and took MLB to court also. But I think the actual appeal was quiet.

Actually, Braun appealed the initial positive test and won. That initial test result should have never been public, but MLB failed to keep the information private. His reputation took a hit due to MLB's failure.

This was forgotten because people cared more about busting Braun than they did MLB's failure to live up to its obligations and that was further buried because Braun turned out to be guilty. That doesn't mean MLB wasn't also in the wrong. 

Thought both he and AROD lost the appeal. 

The Braun leak could have been from his side though as they were trying everything to get the results thrown out in court and won. Then he was busted again you are right.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in here - read most of it but not all of it. 

I was listening to the RotoWire show on SiriusXM yesterday, and Jeff Erickson was saying he had looked into the drug Marte got busted for a bit trying to make sense of the situation.  He found that Nandrolone or whatever is apparently very detectable by drug testing, even in trace amounts, and it stays in your system for a very long time.  Anyone taking it would be a moron to do so -- you're GOING to get caught with that.  HOWEVER, given how detectable it is in trace amounts, it's certainly possible that Marte was supplementing with something (they suggesting testosterone supplements) that accidentally got laced with the Nandrolone.

The MLB testing program does test for testosterone levels, but all within a range (different humans have different levels of testosterone).  It's plausible to me that numerous players are supplementing their testosterone levels, but doing so in a way that keeps them at the upper ends of the acceptable range as opposed to flagged for PEDs. 

Is that really legal?  Well, spirit of the law vs. letter of the law I guess.  Maybe Marte just got some bad supplements in the WBC from some teammates?

Nobody making Nandrolone is going lace a GNC type supplement with it. It doesn't make financial sense. As for the accident, I'm not buying that either . You aren't manufacturing a valuable drug and accidentally putting it in an over the counter supplement. 

It takes a bigger leap of faith to think he accidentally took steroids from a tainted supplement than to just assume he's stupid. The only possibility of him mistakenly taking this would be if he thought he was taking a less detectable steroid but was sold this without knowing.

for marte trade value reference he was dropped in 5x5 ypro250 h2h league and in another league  he was offered to me for cam bedrosian

so people really are down even in competitive leagues

Edited by colepenhagen

1 minute ago, Bigfische1 said:

Nobody making Nandrolone is going lace a GNC type supplement with it. It doesn't make financial sense. As for the accident, I'm not buying that either . You aren't manufacturing a valuable drug and accidentally putting it in an over the counter supplement. 

It takes a bigger leap of faith to think he accidentally took steroids from a tainted supplement than to just assume he's stupid. The only possibility of him mistakenly taking this would be if he thought he was taking a less detectable steroid but was sold this without knowing.

Agree, and I'd be shocked if these guys are dumb enough to deal with shady idiots giving him some "cocktail" of mixed anabolics. And why would they lie to Marte about what's in it.  It'd be like Dale Earnhardt Jr. letting Jiffy Lube install something in his race car engine without knowing what they installed or how, and then driving in the Daytona 500 without checking the work. I don't know, maybe a weak analogy but hopefully you get the point. Just amazes me in general. As someone else pointed out, deca stays in your system a long time and is very detectable. Just dumb. Maybe there's more to the story and we'll just never know the details of how and why. But I'm certainly not going to assume anything other than Marte did something idiotic, at this point.

So from my calculation, Marte would be eligible to return on July 19 which would be week 15. Is anyone holding onto him in non keeper leagues? I am having a hard time justifying burning a bench spot for 12 more weeks to have him for basically the last 7 weeks + playoffs...especially considering the league I am has only 3 BN spots!

16 minutes ago, jh83 said:

So from my calculation, Marte would be eligible to return on July 19 which would be week 15. Is anyone holding onto him in non keeper leagues? I am having a hard time justifying burning a bench spot for 12 more weeks to have him for basically the last 7 weeks + playoffs...especially considering the league I am has only 3 BN spots!

If you have faith in your squad to make the playoffs without him for the next couple months then hold him. If you're already behind the 8ball and are in panic mode then I guess trade him. DO NOT drop him. Someone will give you something better than whats on your WW

1 hour ago, jh83 said:

I'm trying to do this math in my head as well.  He was dropped in my 14 teamer and now the game of chicken begins.  I'd have placed a waiver claim if I didn't already have 3 DLed guys occupying bench spots.

13 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I'm trying to do this math in my head as well.  He was dropped in my 14 teamer and now the game of chicken begins.  I'd have placed a waiver claim if I didn't already have 3 DLed guys occupying bench spots.

He's on the wire in two of my leagues. Which week should he be targeted for pick-up? 

6 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

He's on the wire in two of my leagues. Which week should he be targeted for pick-up? 

That is pretty impossible to predict.  Lot of factors go into it.  All it takes is one owner to decide they can still compete down a man, or for a team out of it in a keeper to scoop him up for next year.  Really no way of knowing when that happens though.  Like I said, it's kind of a game of chicken.

I was a little surprised he cleared waivers in my league.  I'll absolutely grab him once I have the bench space to do it.