urban2014

Bryce Harper 2017 Outlook

1 hour ago, jdbob11 said:

This is hilarious.  A baseball to the hip isnt causing serious injury, as you can see Harper is fine.  A blunt object to the face, be it the bat or the helmet has much more of a chance of causing serious injury.  Harper is going to get the amount of games you get for charging and throwing punches PLUS extra for taking his helmet to the mound and attempting to strike Strickland in the face with it, no matter how poor the execution of the helmet throw was.

Are you kidding? You don't understand the point is that throwing at somebody can end seasons or even careers? It doesn't matter where it hit him, the point is it's dangerous as hell, not "as you can see Harper is fine". He could have broken his wrist like freddie, or Stanton when he got hit in the face, or a hundred other guys. Guys have been killed by pitched baseballs. 

9 minutes ago, Stubudd said:

Are you kidding? You don't understand the point is that throwing at somebody can end seasons or even careers? It doesn't matter where it hit him, the point is it's dangerous as hell, not "as you can see Harper is fine". He could have broken his wrist like freddie, or Stanton when he got hit in the face, or a hundred other guys. Guys have been killed by pitched baseballs. 

This.  And I wouldn't put too much trust into a guy with a 1.41 WHIP being able to locate his FB on my hip versus my wrist or face.  Poor command is the reason he's beaning Bryce in the first place - don't throw taters down the middle and you don't have to revenge bean a guy for hitting HRs off you.

200.webp#4-grid1

46 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Played for many years.  I know what its like to be hit by a pitch.  Im definitely choosing that over letting someone strike me in the face with anything. 

That's the wrong video you were watching. And even that hurt less.

13 minutes ago, Stubudd said:

Are you kidding? You don't understand the point is that throwing at somebody can end seasons or even careers? It doesn't matter where it hit him, the point is it's dangerous as hell, not "as you can see Harper is fine". He could have broken his wrist like freddie, or Stanton when he got hit in the face, or a hundred other guys. Guys have been killed by pitched baseballs.  by being hit by 

1 player died as a result of being hit in the head by a baseball. Roy Chapman in 1920 after being hit by Carl Mays. 

26 minutes ago, Stubudd said:

A guy, one, in 1920.  You Harper owners/fanboys are really bent out of shape cause hes going to be getting extra games for the helmet throw huh?  

Edited by jdbob11

8 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

1 player died as a result of being hit in the head by a baseball. Roy Chapman in 1920 after being hit by Carl Mays. 

1 major leaguer. I remember two different high schoolers in the last 10 or so years. 

Can we stop bumping this until he gets his suspension #

Just now, jdbob11 said:

A guy, one, in 1920.  You Harper owners/fanboys are really bent out of shape cause hes going to be getting extra games for the helmet throw huh?  

Lol. I am neither an owner nor a fan. How many have been killed by batting helmets, lol? You can't even figure out that you're holding Harper to "hitting him in the face" for missing him, while dismissing Strickland who actually did hit bryce because "as you can see Harper is fine". Both were dangerous, the pitch much moreso in my opinipn, but whatevee. Thanks for the laughs this morning ace, have a good day

22 minutes ago, Stubudd said:

Lol. I am neither an owner nor a fan. How many have been killed by batting helmets, lol? You can't even figure out that you're holding Harper to "hitting him in the face" for missing him, while dismissing Strickland who actually did hit bryce because "as you can see Harper is fine". Both were dangerous, the pitch much moreso in my opinipn, but whatevee. Thanks for the laughs this morning ace, have a good day

I never knew that people would choose a hit to the face over the hip, with any object.  Interesting. I bet Stanton would choose the hip.  

Edited by jdbob11

13 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

I never knew that people would choose a hit to the face over the hip, with any object.  Interesting. I bet Stanton would choose the hip.  

Lol! Is this guy serious? 

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I find it quite interesting the media's take on this, especially ESPN. Considering all the past love they've given the Nationals/Harper over the years I am not surprised, but the amount of attention they're giving it is interesting. Trout's injury is bigger news worthy IMO. I can already predict the big fit they will throw on the amount of suspension he gets vs Strickland.

4 minutes ago, Justinrlstn said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I find it quite interesting the media's take on this, especially ESPN. Considering all the past love they've given the Nationals/Harper over the years I am not surprised, but the amount of attention they're giving it is interesting. Trout's injury is bigger news worthy IMO. I can already predict the big fit they will throw on the amount of suspension he gets vs Strickland.

Trout's injury has bigger implications sure but a benches-clearing brawl is way more interesting than a guy who got hurt sliding into 2nd.  Full coverage of Trout's injury takes like 5 minutes and that would be really dragging it out.  Lots to discuss and dissect when you have two full teams on the field going at each other.

How long does it typically take for MLB to hand out suspensions?  Assume we are looking at 5-8 days when all is said and done?

I'd rather get hit by a batting helmet than a baseball.  I've actually gotten hit by a helmet.  It's not that bad. lol.

5 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

CSB but I owned Odor last year and now Harper this year.  Sure can pick 'em

I had both Odor and Machado last year, have Harper this year.  Gonna need to start a fight club with my teams.

5 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Odor sucker punched Batista who wasn't expecting it. What a great move. Role model 

Following the shove from Odor, Bautista was expecting it. He started to wind up to Throw a punch himself but odor was too quick lol regardless of any of this baseball players can't fight better than anyone else! ?

1 hour ago, RustyMiller said:

I'd rather get hit by a batting helmet than a baseball.  I've actually gotten hit by a helmet.  It's not that bad. lol.

In the face?

12 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

In the face?

In the shoulder, but it's alot easier to block compared to a fastball.

19 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

Is this a play through the appeal situation or would he start serving the suspension right away?

I may be confusing sports but my understanding is you can play through an appeal

I think he's wondering which one Harper would choose. My guess is MLB will overdo it, he'll appeal, and it'll be reduced. That's generally what happens from what I can recall.

23 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

In the face?

why are you always bringing up getting hit in the face .... Strickland did not get hit by the helmet

Sharks first pitch to bricey tonight needs to be behind him, could see Shark shrugging his shoulders saying, well, it was an attempt at a distraction, wasn't trying to hit him, it slipped.