urban2014

Bryce Harper 2017 Outlook

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Pedro got 8 games for a similar situation back in 1996.

 

 

Dang, only 8?  Seems very light.  I guess you can all be happy that Bryce will probably get 8 then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Find me incidents where a player actually struck someone with equipment, it doesnt happen, but if it ever did there is going to be a HEAVY suspension and he came close to it.  The only thing I can remember in recent history is that guy who used his hockey stock as a weapon and that was a lengthy time gone. 

Not that recent but Marichal hit Roseboro over the head with a bat. Roseboro was catching at the time and buzzed Jaun with the throw back to Koufax.

 

Google it as it makes interesting reading.

Edited by Low and Away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harper is a real good player....but it really seems to me that every year he is over-hyped. I'd take several players over this guy, even as good as he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even speaking as a Harper owner here, but Strickland should get like double the games Harper gets. If they want fighting out of the game they need to correct the root cause, not the result.  Pitchers plunk batters on purpose fairly often and get no punishment, but then a batter goes out to stick up for himself and gets a big suspension to boot. Not exactly a deterrent for pitchers to stop instigating this BS. 

 

Give Strickland like 20 games and maybe pitchers think twice about throwing at guys like a coward. Most of the time they know they can plunk a guy and nobody can retaliate against them directly. Send the message the league isn't going to tolerate it anymore. 

 

Either that or no suspensions for anyone and tell everyone fighting and plunking are both fair game and even the playing field. See how tough some of these pitchers are when they know the batter will be coming to the mound swinging instead of having to walk angrily to 1st. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Harper is a real good player....but it really seems to me that every year he is over-hyped. I'd take several players over this guy, even as good as he is.

6th rated hitter in fantasy this year, and that's without a stolen base to his name. Do you watch baseball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Not even speaking as a Harper owner here, but Strickland should get like double the games Harper gets. If they want fighting out of the game they need to correct the root cause, not the result.  Pitchers plunk batters on purpose fairly often and get no punishment, but then a batter goes out to stick up for himself and gets a big suspension to boot. Not exactly a deterrent for pitchers to stop instigating this BS. 

 

Give Strickland like 20 games and maybe pitchers think twice about throwing at guys like a coward. Most of the time they know they can plunk a guy and nobody can retaliate against them directly. Send the message the league isn't going to tolerate it anymore. 

 

Either that or no suspensions for anyone and tell everyone fighting and plunking are both fair game and even the playing field. See how tough some of these pitchers are when they know the batter will be coming to the mound swinging instead of having to walk angrily to 1st. 

There's precedent for this, as Yordana was suspended much longer than Machado, as it was viewed that he was the sole instigator. Seems most agree that Strickland was here too. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God I love Pedro. Guy is a total boss. Greatest pitcher of all time- completely dominated the most hitter friendly period the game has ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

6th rated hitter in fantasy this year, and that's without a stolen base to his name. Do you watch baseball?

Of course I watch baseball. What I'm saying is that he is hyped so much you'd think he's Mike Trout or something. If you read my last post I said he's a real good player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

There's a union. They appeal suspensions. He'll play tonight.

Thanks for that condescending reply!! What I thought just wanted some input since I can't stalk lineups all night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mmcc1029 said:

Thanks for that condescending reply!! What I thought just wanted some input since I can't stalk lineups all night. 

There was no condescension intended in that reply. Was just answering your question. Next time I'll put a smiley face?  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Of course I watch baseball. What I'm saying is that he is hyped so much you'd think he's Mike Trout or something. If you read my last post I said he's a real good player.

No. In fact, the opposite is true.  Because Mike Trout is so ridiculously good, people don't recognize the greatness of Bryce Harper. MVP at 22. 25 career WAR, despite injuries, and still YOUNGER than this year's likely rookie of the year, Aaron Judge. It's insane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

There's precedent for this, as Yordana was suspended much longer than Machado, as it was viewed that he was the sole instigator. Seems most agree that Strickland was here too. We'll see.

 

I get that you can't always know there's intent, but there are lots of situations where you know it was intentional. I don't think anyone would argue this one was accidental. 

 

Can't count the number of times I'm watching baseball and the announcer says "so and so had to be expecting some retaliation". If the announcers can call it before it happens then the guy should probably get a lengthy suspension to deter it. 

 

Not to mention pitchers don't play every day, so in most cases a 3-5 game suspension is basically just equal to 1 game's PT missed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brett Laurie threw his helmet at an ump, hit him with it, and only got 4 games. Of course there was no fight though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Brett Laurie threw his helmet at an ump, hit him with it, and only got 4 games. Of course there was no fight though. 

He fired it into the ground and it bounced and hit the ump.  He didnt raise it and swing it in the umps direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like Strickland is getting off way light. I wasn't expecting much but still hoping he would have gotten 10+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MLB can't keep their money maker out for too long. Such a weak suspension. No way it should have been less than Odor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

 

 

So basically 2 innings for Strickland and 36 innings for Harper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a big deal, better then what Trout owners are dealing with 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will be in the lineup today, will probably miss the next series 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wh3931110 said:

So will he appeal and be in tonight's lineup?

 

That's what I'm wondering too...Damn I wish they'd let us know before the first games start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.