urban2014

Bryce Harper 2017 Outlook

I thought it was pretty self explanatory that he was playing tonight if he's appealing. He's not appealing and then taking a rest day that doesn't count against his suspension. 

1 hour ago, jdbob11 said:

He fired it into the ground and it bounced and hit the ump.  He didnt raise it and swing it in the umps direction. 

Neither did Harper, nor did Harper hit anyone on the bounce, except for maybe the peanut vendor in the stands.

37 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

So basically 2 innings for Strickland and 36 innings for Harper?

What are they supposed to do about that though?  Suspend Harper for 2 innings?  Or suspend Strickland for like 90 games?

Just now, 89Topps said:

What are they supposed to do about that though?  Suspend Harper for 2 innings?  Or suspend Strickland for like 90 games?

Suspend him 6 games but base it on his average PT.  If he appears every 3 games on average, then 6x3 = 18 calendar games.  Of course the union wouldn't allow that.

Let the Giants play a man short for those six games and dock Strickland 6/162 in pay for that time. It was his altercation and all he gets is a six day vacation with pay.

I despise Harper with every ounce of my being.  I'm glad he got hit, I'm glad he got four games and I hope he gets hit by Strickland the next time they face each other.  Harper is a Prima Donna.  

The only way I'd have a problem with this is if Strickland threw at Harper and hit him in the head.  He didn't.  He threw below the waistline and drilled him.  This is baseball.  It's expected.  It's always been that way and I hope it always stays that way. 

Enjoy the four game vacation, Bryce...and next time don't throw your helmet like a little girl.

6 minutes ago, 96GOAT said:

The only way I'd have a problem with this is if Strickland threw at Harper and hit him in the head.  He didn't.  He threw below the waistline and drilled him.  This is baseball.  It's expected.  It's always been that way and I hope it always stays that way. 

No.  It hasn't.  If every player carried grudges around for more than 2 years, there would be brawls in every inning of every game.  Literally.

And what exactly was it that Harper did??  Um....he tried to help his team win.  He didn't show anybody up.  He didn't put anybody down.  He was playing the game.

It was TWO SEASONS ago.  Strickland has no right to continue carrying the grudge at this point.  IMO, it's STRICKLAND who is the "little girl" for carrying a baseless grudge for multiple seasons.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not a fan of Harper's personality in the least.  But in this case....Strickland was way out of line and deserved a punch in the nose.

Edited by CAT

7 minutes ago, 96GOAT said:

I despise Harper with every ounce of my being.  I'm glad he got hit, I'm glad he got four games and I hope he gets hit by Strickland the next time they face each other.  Harper is a Prima Donna.  

Enjoy the four game vacation, Bryce...and next time don't throw your helmet like a little girl.

Thanks for coming here and chiming in with this. 

b6277dae24f6576d1dc78f44963a27f3.jpg

5 minutes ago, 96GOAT said:

Yeah, how dare Harper hit home runs off Strickland three years ago! He had it coming!

Hopefully that prima Donna comes back from his suspension with a crew cut, fresh shave, and a permanent scowl on his face. Then he'd be more likeable, and hopefully let pitchers drill him whenever they want with no retaliation. That's my kinda baseball. 

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Thanks for coming here and chiming in with this. 

b6277dae24f6576d1dc78f44963a27f3.jpg

A psychiatrist would have charged big bucks for that rant.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Harper gets 4 games and Strickland gets 6.

Thanks Low!

31 minutes ago, CAT said:

No.  It hasn't.  If every player carried grudges around for more than 2 years, there would be brawls in every inning of every game.  Literally.

And what exactly was it that Harper did??  Um....he tried to help his team win.  He didn't show anybody up.  He didn't put anybody down.  He was playing the game.

It was TWO SEASONS ago.  Strickland has no right to continue carrying the grudge at this point.  IMO, it's STRICKLAND who is the "little girl" for carrying a baseless grudge for multiple seasons.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not a fan of Harper's personality in the least.  But in this case....Strickland was way out of line and deserved a punch in the nose.

Talking sh*t as he rounded the bases and continuing to do so when he got to the dugout is what got him hit.  He got him for the long ball, watch it for a second and round the bases.  The mouth running has no place on the field.  It only took two seasons because they havent faced each other since then. 

41 minutes ago, 96GOAT said:

I don't mind the sentiment. But in this particular case Strickland is clearly the punk. 

1 hour ago, handyandy86 said:

So basically 2 innings for Strickland and 36 innings for Harper?

I don't think anyone can help that everyday players are more impactful than RP... Both suspension's about the same percentage of the players usage to the team.  Equating Stricklands inning to Harpers equal would basically mean he's out months. That is not realistic in any sense. Especially where the MLBPA is a still a powerful force.

If a bench role player fights an everyday player. You think its a good idea to suspend the bench role player 3-4X as much? Keep him out of the game he loves a lot longer because he is an inferior player to the one he fought?

The more imporant you are, the more you stand to lose. The more you have to be responsible/mindful of your actions. Its how life works in a lot of ways.  Its still Strickland's that is the instigator...maybe tag 8 instead of 6 because of that at most

Edited by Slatykamora

It probably would have been about equal suspensions for both had Harper not botched the helmet throw so badly. Kinda like how Odor's would have been much shorter last year if he had just sucked at fighting instead of getting the quick kayo on Bautista. 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

you couldn't have been more wrong @jdbob11

MLB is just soft I guess.  If Pedro got 8 I would have guess Bryce would have gotten the same. Maybe we will see more fights for grudges now that guys know they wont even miss a weeks worth of games even of they take a weapon to the mound. 

26 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

I don't think anyone can help that everyday players are more impactful than RP... Both suspension's about the same percentage of the players usage to the team.  Equating Stricklands inning to Harpers equal would basically mean he's out months. That is not realistic in any sense. Especially where the MLBPA is a still a powerful force.

If a bench role player fights an everyday player. You think its a good idea to suspend the bench role player 3-4X as much? Keep him out of the game he loves a lot longer because he is an inferior player to the one he fought?

The more imporant you are, the more you stand to lose. The more you have to be responsible/mindful of your actions. Its how life works in a lot of ways.  Its still Strickland's that is the instigator...maybe tag 8 instead of 6 because of that at most

Comparing a setup man and a utility player is kind of apples to oranges. Strickland's PT isn't limited by his ability, it's that by nature a RP gets paid to only pitch a few innings a week. 

I guess I look at it in terms of the impact to each player's teams. Despite the magnitude of the suspensions the punishment hurts the Nationals a lot more than the Giants, and I'm not even talking talent-wise. They just need to use a replacement level player for much fewer innings. 

I'm not sure just multiplying the games out by innings is fair either, just thinking out loud that this current way of doing it is a relative slap on Strickland's wrist. 

Anytime a star fights a JAG, the star's team suffers more. But that's just the way it'll always be. In any sport. That's why in hockey they have enforcers. 

Edited by Fiveohnine

Even if it was Mariano Rivera throwing the RP comes out way on top just due to usage. The pitcher always seems to get the benefit of the doubt, and the lighter sentence, IMO, regardless of talent. 

2 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

Hot taek alert, fokls.

can't believe so many people are justifying that what Strickland did was ok because Bryce talked trash YEARS AGO.

- he didn't throw high he didn't intend to seriously hurt Bryce: well what if Bryce moved / ducked? hit his jaw? then this would've been a different story

- Bryce is an a-hole, he deserved it: You want to prove a point? Then do it on the field. Strike that a-hole out then talk trash to him too. But I guess Strickland knew he didn't have the stuff to strike out Bryce Harper, so I'll just hit him instead.

6 game suspension is not enough. At most that means he gets suspended for 3 actual games assuming he appears in every other game. I don't like Bryce, I think he is cocky, but at the same time I think his type of attitude is missing in baseball and you need a villain. A batter vs pitcher fight will always end up with batter going on the losing end as far as suspensions go. If Bryce brought his bat to the mound, he probably would have been suspended for the year, because the argument is: the pitcher is helpless. Well guess what, if a batter is on the box, lining up to hit, he is also helpless out there. How many batters have we seen get hurt with a fastball whether it was on thrown at him on purpose or not?

Strickland was lucky Bryce didn't run in there and tackle him, because if Bryce decided to tackle him instead of engaging him on a standing fist fight, Strickland would probably leave the field with a bloody face.

MLB should crackdown on pitchers who do this. Machado and now Bryce.

I don't care how long ago that incident happened.  If you think that for one second guys like Nolan Ryan or Bob Gibson "forgot" about being showed up by a guy seasons ago, you're crazy.  Pitchers NEVER forget that.  Scores got settled back in the day...and they should continue to be settled in this day and age.  If you want to celebrate a homerun off of a pitcher, you better be ready to get one the next time around.  That, my friends, is baseball.  Competitors never forget. 

I get that baseball has crammed Harper down everyone's throat.  They're trying to make him the poster boy for MLB.  He and Trout.  I'm okay with Trout.  He plays the game hard.  He plays the game the way it's meant to be played.  Harper is a GRADE A JERK.  He is the epitome of a "me first" player.  Maybe he'll grow up and respect the game more than he does now.  If that happens, I'll change my opinion of him.  But, until then, I'll continue to celebrate moments like this in his career.

Flame away, boys...