urban2014

Bryce Harper 2017 Outlook

3 hours ago, ragrag said:

Suspend him 6 games but base it on his average PT.  If he appears every 3 games on average, then 6x3 = 18 calendar games.  Of course the union wouldn't allow that.

That still wouldn't equal the number of innings Harper is suspended.

Is it just me or has he been slumping? He better not be injured. 

1 minute ago, mrfrood said:

Is it just me or has he been slumping? He better not be injured. 

Getting some BS calls by the ump.

Wow could have had a monster game today. His numbers past 2 weeks have been horrible. 

Ouch.  0-4 while everyone else has at least a hit.  Something's not right.

SMH some people just aren't cut out for fantasy baseball. 

Did you expect Harper to replicate his April for 6 months and break the all time triple crown record? 

This is baseball. Stars are capable of getting white hot and hitting 10 HRs in a week and they are also capable of going weeks without a base hit .. so long as the player is taking the plate daily the numbers will be there by the end of the year. 

Those two sentences need to be stickied and referenced incessantly until all the whiny newbs here get it through their thick skulls.

Many posts have been rendered invisible. Political/social commentary, belittling comments, name calling, off-topic nonsense, and game commentary. You fellas have had quite a day.

Keep it respectful. Keep it civil. Keep it relevant. If general baseball topics crop up you can express an opinion, but not for two pages of bickering and snarky comments. Agree to disagree and move on.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm more so concerned that his current slump coincides with that injury he had a few weeks ago. I'm hoping it's the regular ebb and flow of a season and not some injury that slows him down that he plays on the whole year. 

2 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

I don't care how long ago that incident happened.  If you think that for one second guys like Nolan Ryan or Bob Gibson "forgot" about being showed up by a guy seasons ago, you're crazy.  Pitchers NEVER forget that.  Scores got settled back in the day...and they should continue to be settled in this day and age.  If you want to celebrate a homerun off of a pitcher, you better be ready to get one the next time around.  That, my friends, is baseball.  Competitors never forget. 

I get that baseball has crammed Harper down everyone's throat.  They're trying to make him the poster boy for MLB.  He and Trout.  I'm okay with Trout.  He plays the game hard.  He plays the game the way it's meant to be played.  Harper is a GRADE A JERK.  He is the epitome of a "me first" player.  Maybe he'll grow up and respect the game more than he does now.  If that happens, I'll change my opinion of him.  But, until then, I'll continue to celebrate moments like this in his career.

Flame away, boys...

When do batters get to get revenge against a pitcher who celebrates a strikeout/save/whatever against the batter?  Seems a little one sided here.

0-5.  Must've left his bat at home today.

Edited by borindia

The sad thing is you won't see anything change in baseball until some player takes a retaliation pitch in head or face and his career is ruined.  Kind of like Buster Posey getting decapitated on home plate collision a few years ago.  MLB won't actually do anything until someone's career or life are wrecked.  Like someone mentioned above how is sitting on a homer any different than a closer screaming and hooting and hollering after a save to end a game?  A batter can't get retaliation but a guy that can throw 95+ MLB with a hard object can?  That doesn't seem right to me.  There's a time and a place for retaliation but 1000 days later isn't it.  Sometime soon baseball will have to make a stand on this otherwise you'll see someone's career wrecked because of it.

5 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

I don't care how long ago that incident happened.  If you think that for one second guys like Nolan Ryan or Bob Gibson "forgot" about being showed up by a guy seasons ago, you're crazy.  Pitchers NEVER forget that.  Scores got settled back in the day...and they should continue to be settled in this day and age.  If you want to celebrate a homerun off of a pitcher, you better be ready to get one the next time around.  That, my friends, is baseball.  Competitors never forget. 

I get that baseball has crammed Harper down everyone's throat.  They're trying to make him the poster boy for MLB.  He and Trout.  I'm okay with Trout.  He plays the game hard.  He plays the game the way it's meant to be played.  Harper is a GRADE A JERK.  He is the epitome of a "me first" player.  Maybe he'll grow up and respect the game more than he does now.  If that happens, I'll change my opinion of him.  But, until then, I'll continue to celebrate moments like this in his career.

Ya, you're totally right. When a guy admires a long homer the pitcher should have free reign to throw a baseball at him at 98 mph. Cuz thats oldskoolz baseball yo! Respect teh game guys! But then when the batter comes at him and throws a helmet, WATCH OUT that guy is a GRADE A JERK!!!

If you're a pitcher and don't to be shown up by a hitter admiring a deep majestic blast then guess what? ******** pitch better you clown! And thats coming from a lifelong hardcore Giants fan. Strickland is an idiot and deserves a lot more than 6 games.

Something funny about the "fight" the night before. It seems that Morse ended up on the 7 day concussion list from running onto Shark. Doesn't really belong in this thread but dam*ed if I was going to start a Mike Morse thread just to post it

8 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

SMH some people just aren't cut out for fantasy baseball. 

Did you expect Harper to replicate his April for 6 months and break the all time triple crown record? 

This is baseball. Stars are capable of getting white hot and hitting 10 HRs in a week and they are also capable of going weeks without a base hit .. so long as the player is taking the plate daily the numbers will be there by the end of the year. 

Those two sentences need to be stickied and referenced incessantly until all the whiny newbs here get it through their thick skulls.

same thing different year from @EmbargoLifted.... the defender of the mega-star. The one that will stick by his man.

lets not forget the Andrew McCutchen & Bryce Harper 2016 threads ....

consistency is the key for us in fantasy. I get frustrated when I click on the last 15 days and see one of my players mired in a deep slump. It doesn't matter if the guy is a first or tenth round pick. I want production the more the better. 

you have a good day

I get the sentiment, but Bryce's stat line is still .322-44-15-41 through May - not exactly McCutcheon of 2016. If he kept up his April pace he'd finish the year breaking every hitting record. Even current pace has him finishing with MVP type numbers. 

Consistency is desired, but you're going to have hot and cold streaks you have to deal with. As the other poster mentioned though, hopefully he's not playing hurt. Either way 4 games off will maybe give him some time to rest and/or clear his head. 

8 LOB last night  :angry:

9 hours ago, mrfrood said:

I'm more so concerned that his current slump coincides with that injury he had a few weeks ago. I'm hoping it's the regular ebb and flow of a season and not some injury that slows him down that he plays on the whole year. 

This. When I saw his injury I was like, here we go. They need to protect him from himself. I think these four days off will be good for him. 

18 hours ago, ragrag said:

Suspend him 6 games but base it on his average PT.  If he appears every 3 games on average, then 6x3 = 18 calendar games.  Of course the union wouldn't allow that.

Of course they won't allow it, that's a terrible idea. While Strickland may not pitch every day, he's consistently used when the team is nursing a lead. So suspending him a week is 1 week where the team has to account for not having the arm available. They may lose every game by 8 runs and Strickland doesn't pitch anyway, does that mean the games shouldn't count toward suspension? 

Both will appeal, both will reduced, probably something like 2 and 4 games to serve. 

I do agree with the sentiment, that games suspended for pitchers need to line up more with hitters (i.e. more games for a similar suspension). However, extrapolating it out for "calendar games played" isn't the answer either. I mean, a starting pitcher averages 6 IP a start, so should a 5 game suspension = missing 7-8 "calendar" starts? no... 

4 hours ago, shakestreet said:

same thing different year from @EmbargoLifted.... the defender of the mega-star. The one that will stick by his man.

lets not forget the Andrew McCutchen & Bryce Harper 2016 threads ....

consistency is the key for us in fantasy. I get frustrated when I click on the last 15 days and see one of my players mired in a deep slump. It doesn't matter if the guy is a first or tenth round pick. I want production the more the better. 

you have a good day

You mean the Andrew McCutchen i got for pennies on the dollar who went off during the final 2 months of the season with .285 BA, 9 HR, 3 SB, 35 R, 35 RBI?

Or the Bryce Harper who despite hitting .250 on the year still produced a 20/20 season with 80+ R & RBI? 

15 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

Flame away, boys...

I don't agree that Harper showed Strickland up. The first HR he wasn't quick out of the box, but that happens dozens of times every year...no retaliation. The second HR...he was waiting in the box because whether the ball would stay fair or foul was questionable. As soon as he knew it was fair, he started his HR trot. Not sure how either of those is considered showing him up. And if Strickland didn't like Harper saying anything as he rounded the bases, then he should have kept his mouth shut, too, instead of screaming at Harper through his glove. 

And I'm no Harper fan. 

17 hours ago, jdbob11 said:

MLB is just soft I guess.  If Pedro got 8 I would have guess Bryce would have gotten the same. Maybe we will see more fights for grudges now that guys know they wont even miss a weeks worth of games even of they take a weapon to the mound. 

wow only 4 games even though he wanted to throw a helmet and hit him

in the face

7 minutes ago, Stubudd said:

wow only 4 games even though he wanted to throw a helmet and hit him

in the face

3 games :D

2 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

3 games :D

that has to start tonight , correct ?