jfazz23

Hanley Ramirez 2017 Outlook

and he's sitting today, cuz he needs the rest, poor guy!

edit, now they say it's the shoulder again. This might be a lost year for him, I keep saying he'll be fine, he'll have a good 2nd half. Really starting to wonder now.

glad he's been on my bench.

Edited by Members_Only_76

Needs a DL stint or something to get that rest, these stupid 2 days off won't help it...

Unless you're in 1st or 2nd place (or in a deep league) it doesn't seem responsible to stash Hanley anymore.  With guys like Bour and Smoak out there...

Edited by ragrag

I JUST DROPPED HIM LIKE A BAD HABIT. GUY IS WORTHLESS (GET READY FOR BIG PRODUCTION IF YOU STILL ROSTER HIM)

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

39 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Unless you're in 1st or 2nd place (or in a deep league) it doesn't seem responsible to stash Hanley anymore.  With guys like Bour and Smoak out there...

Yeah, 14 teamer (3rd place roto currently), so I'm holding on bench for now. But yeah, otherwise he'd been gone.

44 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Guys like Bour & Smoak aren't out there, and haven't been for a month. 

On 5/14/2017 at 6:36 PM, evillaw4eva said:

People that cut Hanley... laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif

Are you the same guy that traded Matt Davidson for him? I can't remember...

Now it's getting to the point where it's not looking good anymore. Looks like a lost season 

Brought in for PH (0fer) last night. I still have hope for 2nd half but not holding my breath either. 

the mood around him wasn't that different at this time last year. but i will admit to being discouraged. i figured the absurd second half last year meant he was healthy and over the shoulder stuff going forward. but then he came into spring training with it this year. like, this isn't even a new injury, it's just lingering, apparently

on the one hand, you can take that as encouraging, since apparently he hit those 407 homers after the break last year with the same bum shoulder(s). but, still. all of last year there was never any talk about how the shoulders were actively bothering him and he wasn't missing games because of them, now there is and he is. that can't be good.

he still *might* go on a tear tomorrow, but with the health concerns that won't seem to go away i can't sit here confidently saying "the skill will win out in the end" the way i usually like to do

It's not all about injuries with him. He's been showing the same diminished skills for about 2.5 years now. I was one of the only ones with a reasonable projection for this guy... if you go back to the first couple pages it's a good lesson in how out of control the prevailing opinions in these threads can get sometimes. I've been guilty of it with other players too, not saying I haven't, but I have to point this out given how much heat I took for what I thought at the time was a far more realistic projection than the 40-100, 30-120 stuff people were throwing out there. 

Edited by absknicks

9 minutes ago, absknicks said:

It's not all about injuries with him.

* when you chuckle about how "convenient" it is to suggest his performance in 2015 had anything to do with the shoulder injury from running into the wall at the beginning of may, which ended up shutting him down in late august because he was in so much pain he didn't homer for the entire second half

9 minutes ago, absknicks said:

He's been showing the same diminished skills for about 2.5 years now. 

* when you throw out all of his good months because they were too good 

Just now, wily mo said:

* when you chuckle about how "convenient" it is to suggest his performance in 2015 had anything to do with the shoulder injury from running into the wall at the beginning of may, which ended up shutting him down in late august because he was in so much pain he didn't homer for the entire second half

* when you throw out all of his good months because they were too good 

We've both established where we stand on this more than enough now.

I think I've made my point concisely. Tried to explain the data/reasoning to you but you seem caught up in your own narrative. Not interested in rehashing it again as the results speak for themselves.

The expectations/projections for this guy were way out of whack. 

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

We've both established where we stand on this more than enough now.

I think I've made my point concisely. Tried to explain the data/reasoning to you but you seem caught up in your own narrative. Not interested in rehashing it again as the results speak for themselves.

The expectations/projections for this guy were way out of whack. 

i replied in plenty of detail. but yeah, let's just let people look it up if they want to relive the experience. it's a few pages back

the results don't prove it's skills and not health. i still think he's capable of a good run of fireworks unless he's not healthy, the reason i'm backing off my pro-hanley stance is because the weight of evidence is starting to really favor the proposition that he's not healthy. 

Wish they'd just DL him until after the ASG.  Give this old man a couple weeks off to get right for the 2nd half.  

1 minute ago, ragrag said:

Wish they'd just DL him until after the ASG.  Give this old man a couple weeks off to get right for the 2nd half.  

That lineup is so atrocious a 30% Hanley is better than any other loser they'd toss out.  Offense is up all around the league.  Except Boston.....philly and San Diego also.

Anyone think Hanley is droppable in 12 teamers? Nagging physical issues have killed his stat line, and now he may lose AB at DH even when he can play, according to the latest update on this site. There are about 25-30 hitters in FA in my league with more points than Hanley.

36 minutes ago, rdf8585 said:

Anyone think Hanley is droppable in 12 teamers? Nagging physical issues have killed his stat line, and now he may lose AB at DH even when he can play, according to the latest update on this site. There are about 25-30 hitters in FA in my league with more points than Hanley.

I think it's more his deteriorating skillset. 

Him and Todd Frazier are sitting there in my competitive 12 team league with no one caring.  Just one league thought 

He's out again.

Seriously, why wouldn't they just DL him, let him come back fresh after the ASB?

I've been Hanley-free since the first month of the MLB season.  Ended up outright dropping him in my 12 team dynasty league after I couldn't get any takers on the trade front.  I don't see things getting any better for a guy like Hanley who just doesn't ever look like he even cares when he's out on the field. 

article where they actually ask him how the shoulders are doing and he answers

http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox/hanley-ramirez-bothered-right-shoulder-more-last-year

Hanley Ramirez on Wednesday afternoon acknowledged his shoulders are bothering him more this year than last year.

In specific, it’s the right (throwing) shoulder that’s bothersome, he said to CSNNE, noting it just doesn’t move as he wants it to — rotating his arm as he spoke. Asked how that happened, how it worsened, he said it was in spring training that he thinks he pushed it too hard.

On the positive side, Ramirez said his shoulders are improving.

"Honestly, yeah, it's feeling better now," Ramirez told a group of reporters. "It's started feeling better now than early in the year. I can use the top hand and drop a little bit the head of the bat. I was losing that. I was talking to [hitting coaches Chili Davis and Victor Rodriguez] about that. I've got to be able to use that top hand. Like Jim Rice."

it goes on, recommend reading the whole thing if you're hanley-adjacent