Sign in to follow this  
TheBoatmen

Avisail Garcia 2017 Outlook

I think he's a hard sell high guy because he's disappointed for so many years and his approach at the plate is so bad.  But it's not like that approach prevents a guy from being a good hitter. Josh Hamilton, Carlos Gonzalez, the last few years have been elite hitters with horrible contact and vomit-inducing chase rates by being swinging early and often and crushing the ball when they do make contact.  Adam Jones has been a good hitter for years, not quite as much of a contact problem but the hitting philosophy can even make a consistent producer with the right guy.

It's just a rare plate discipline profile to result in success.  Needs a few more months than most players to for me to buy in that he can keep it up.  I am encouraged that his swinging strike rate is down to a not-horrible-for-a-slugger 14% from his usual can't-succeed-unless-you've-got-Joey-Gallo-power 17%. 

first year I haven't had any shares of Avisail ... always thought the talent was there but finally decided to pass on hm this year ... Smart!

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

first year I haven't had any shares of Avisail ... always thought the talent was there but finally decided to pass on hm this year ... Smart!

same, i laughed at the OP

Well fellas, I asked about selling high a few days ago and I did. Moved him for Billy Hamilton, needed the SBs bad. I hope Garcia keeps hitting for all his owners out there but I don't know. It was a fun ride while I was on it though!

On 4/16/2017 at 3:58 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

any ChiSox fans or MLBtv nerds been watching him closely? is this a BABIP party or is he breaking out?

always had nice hitting tools... helluva frame. they call him little Miggy, but both guys listed at 6'4. 

On 4/30/2017 at 9:58 AM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

check out this clip http://m.mlb.com/video/v1331740783/cwsdet-a-garcia-goes-backtoback-with-frazier/?query=avisail%2Bgarcia

Imagine you've been stranded on a desert island for 5 years, and just got rescued, and someone said "watch this. he is the #1 prospect in baseball"

what would you think? would you believe it? 

On 5/8/2017 at 11:33 AM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I've been "pro-Avi-breakout" all year, but after watching closely his last string of games, I'm less optimistic. He chases a lot, and I'm not convinced he has the power or speed to make up for it. Dangled him out there to "sell high", got no interest, then promptly dropped him for Marwin the Martian-- whom I am more confident is truly breaking out (11:15 K:BB ratio, compared to Avisail's 6:25... better lineup, better ballpark (I think?), and multi-position eligibility).

I'd rather use the roster spot on a potential star breakout, than watch as Avisail crash like a meteor back to earth. 

Your posts suggest otherwise! or at least, mixed feelings.

On 4/26/2017 at 10:57 AM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

struggled to catch up with 91mph fastballs from Vargas, so that was a bit discouraging.

But he looks infinitely more polished in the box, with a super efficient/minimal swing. It's kind of the opposite of all these leg-kicks we are seeing. 

Eye test: A+

stats from years past: D+

ROS outlook: you be the judge 

On 4/17/2017 at 8:13 AM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

i'm with you. gut feeling says this is a fluke... although, I've always thought he had unharnessed talent. Not inconceivable that things could click at age 25.

jeez I've been all over the place with this guy. Everything about him is perplexing: good pedigree, awful peripherals, late bloomer?, high BABIP, great frame, Adam Jones??... it's like, he sucks and is amazing at the same time.

I gotta say, I feel like Group Think got the best of me on this one. SELL AVISAIL was plastered all across the fantasy baseball universe. "It's not sustainable!" "nothing supports this!" "it's a mirage!" "he has never been good, why would he be good now!?"

and, despite thinking he looked awesome (see: Eye Test post) I dropped him after failing to sell high, assuming that he'd crash like a blazing meteor back to earth.

But here we are, probably a month later, and he is still crushing it. Dude gets like 2 hits every game, and when he gets a hold of one, it goes way out. Thank god I dropped him for Marwin, and not a Hector Neris type, or else I'd be in gloomsville. 

I see you, Avi!! 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

Someone dropped him in my league which confused me because he was the 18th ranked OFer and there was no injury. Guess he slumped for a few weeks or something? Anyway, I'm on the Avi train now. He's given me elite production in my first week so far.

This dude is for real. Looks to be seeing the ball so well. Im wondering if he might evolve into one of these Adam Jones/Vlad Guerrero dudes that doesnt walk, but uses contact skills to be a near plus in average........

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Okay why is Yahoo sending me "day-to-day injury alerts" on this guy all of a sudden this morning?

"Garcia was hit by a pitch on his left elbow in Tuesday's win over the Orioles, but stayed in the game, Brian Sandalow of the Chicago Sun-Times reports. He finished the night 1-for-3 with a two-run double."

He's supposed to be fine, but that would be why.

On 6/12/2017 at 10:23 PM, Code of Hammurabi said:

This dude is for real. Looks to be seeing the ball so well. Im wondering if he might evolve into one of these Adam Jones/Vlad Guerrero dudes that doesnt walk, but uses contact skills to be a near plus in average........

Neither of those guys had plus contact skills by definition, Vlad being league average-ish over his career and Jones being worse.  And Avi would definitely fall into the poor contact skills category.  What they did possess, was a combination of aggressiveness that puts the ball in play, and a good (in Vlad's case, great) ability to chase pitches outside the zone and still drive them for hits.

I think he's for real and is going to really really good for a long time

Anyone know how serious this injury is?  He had an MRI, so that probably can't be good.  DL stint coming?

He's been brutal the last week, so a DL stint might not be the worst thing.

No structural damage to the knee.  Expected to miss just a few days.

I realize he's only been back 2 games since missing some time there. Going back before the down time though, he was struggling mightily. I figure he'll be serviceable or more moving forward eventually, but is the real good ride over?

6 minutes ago, k.k. said:

I realize he's only been back 2 games since missing some time there. Going back before the down time though, he was struggling mightily. I figure he'll be serviceable or more moving forward eventually, but is the real good ride over?

Came here to say the same thing.... has anyone seen many of his at-bats recently to see what's going on?

8 minutes ago, k.k. said:

I have to believe the ride has stalled. I am hoping it gets going again

He was dropped in my league. Any reason why i shouldn't pick him up? The break should help his injuries.

16 minutes ago, Stutin said:

He was dropped in my league. Any reason why i shouldn't pick him up? The break should help his injuries.

He's been really bad the last month. I only know this because I was looking to answer your question. Now I'm thinking about dropping him myself.

32 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

He's been really bad the last month. I only know this because I was looking to answer your question. Now I'm thinking about dropping him myself.

Just picked him up a week ago after disgruntled owner - now I have Chris Davis and Hendricks coming off DL.  I think he's the drop.  If he faceplants again today ill drop for sure.  it's odd he was so productive for 2-3 months then became trash and now all these nagging injuries.

Edited by JetsAwesome

3 hours ago, bigbossman said:

Guy is fast becoming a STUD

Good to see Avi have a BIG day after a crappy month, let's keep it going!!!