Sign in to follow this  
Letitbe793

Jose De Leon 2017 Outlook

Could start the season in the MLB rotation but probably will be in Durham. 

High upside arm, maybe not a 1 but most see him as a good bet to be a 2 or 3 and the rays have had good success with developing young pitching. 

Are others buying? And where do you rank him compared to Snell, Musgrove, Berrios, Giolito, other similar young rookie or second year SPs? 

Wondering where he starts the year. I'm assuming AAA unless the Rays trade someone or one of their starters gets injured, even then, he might start in AAA.

AL East is bad, but at least the best AL East team a pitcher could go to (wins aside). I think enough lists are down on him compared to last year that he may be a buy low in dynasty.

Those are some interesting names listed above. I'm not even sure how you can compare some of those guys at the moment. Musgrove definitiley ahead of him at the least.

Want to like this guy, but don't think his stuff will get MLB hitters out.   

Edited by jwblue

2 minutes ago, jwblue said:

Want to like this guy, but don't think his stuff will get MLB hitters out.   

Reasoning?

38 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

Reasoning?

His pitches remind me of José Berríos' and we know how that turned out.  

Just now, jwblue said:

Very different pitchers and anyways Berrios is still young with plenty of promise. 

5 hours ago, jwblue said:

No we don't...Berrios is only 22. We have no idea how he'll turn out.

Anyway, I do worry about de Leon's gopheritis and lack of a good breaking ball

Last year scared me off him and Berrios a little.  Same with Giolito.  Not wild about any of the young arms this year, but I'd probably rank De Leon second after Snell in that list, mostly because he has one of the clearest paths to extended starts this year.  Pretty concerned about a young right hander who has to make a ton of starts in Baltimore, Boston or the Bronx, though, so I don't exactly love him unless I really need it.

I really like his upside, but I can't see him making the opening day rotation. His service time clock reads 0.029 so I could see the Rays keeping him in AAA until mid to late May just to keep that clock from hitting 1.000 by the end of the 2017 season. 

Archer, Odorizzi, Cobb and Snell are the obvious 1-4 in the opening day rotation so that only leaves one spot for De Leon to compete for barring injury.

I expect Matt Andriese to get the first crack at the #5 spot but it's not like the Rays have a shortage of arms in their farm either.

EDIT- Man, their rotation looks really good on paper. Imagine if they had any offense whatsoever outside of Longoria.

Edited by Dislimb

Hasn't been mentioned in this thread but Andriese was the confirmed #5 starter a while back when de Leon was optioned. 

I still love Jose de Leon and expect him up in June, where he'll comfortably be in my top-100 SP. 

52 minutes ago, PPolanco said:

Hasn't been mentioned in this thread but Andriese was the confirmed #5 starter a while back when de Leon was optioned. 

I still love Jose de Leon and expect him up in June, where he'll comfortably be in my top-100 SP. 

Yep, just as I suspected earlier. There is a 0% chance that he will be called up before Memorial Day weekend. The Rays never let the service time clock hit 1.000 on their best prospects if they can help it. They did the same thing with David Price back in 2009.

I believe he's starting tonight against Rangers. Ramirez was scheduled to start tonight but went into relief yesterday vs Twins in that 15 inning game. DeLeon was scheduled to start in AAA today. 

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

You guys rostering him? 

Absolutely.. high strikeout potential with solid bb rate. Add now, wait and see for sure. 

I'm adding first just to see what happens. If I remember correctly this guy is a top pitching prospect. 

Yes I'm rostering. He wasn't very good last year in his cup of coffee in the bigs. But neither was Berrios, and he's been dominant this year.

De Leon could falter again, but why not add him and see what he can do? The upside is huge.

Commands his fastball well - sits around 93 touches mid 90's...Supposedly has a great changeup (I love that). Slider is off and on, but shows flashes of being very good, as does his curve. I hate the AL east, when it comes to pitchers, though not sure as strong of a division as in the past.

I'm mixed what to do. I'm a believer if you can control your fastball well and have a very good changeup, you can do well right out of the gate. Then again, seems to always be hit-n-miss with prospects.

To add; some scouts think his changeup is the best in the minors.

Edited by Z06vette

If he does indeed start tonight it re-affirms my hatred for Yahoo!'s rule about not being able to pick up a guy and play him the same day