fawkes_mulder

Alex Kirilloff - 1B/OF (Twins)

48 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Is he the top prospect going into 2020 drafts? Gotta think it's between him and Adell.

WANDER FRANCO. But yeah these guys will be in that top5 area

Pumped to have this guy. How likely is it he ends up as a 1B? I think his value soars as a 1B and he becomes easily the best prospect at the position.

Edited by ThreadKiller

38 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Pumped to have this guy. How likely is it he ends up as a 1B? I think his value soars as a 1B and he becomes easily the best prospect at the position.

Seems very possible.

10 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Can't find any updates on his injury status.  Anyone know if he's returning soon???

by RotoWire Staff
(1 hr ago) Chief baseball officer Derek Falvey didn't provide an indication that Kirilloff (wrist) was close to returning from the 7-day injured list at Double-A Pensacola when asked about the matter Saturday, Betsy Helfand of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.

Rather than specifying a timeline for Kirilloff's return, Falvey merely noted that the Twinshad always expected the 21-year-old to miss the first few weeks of the season due to the wrist injury he sustained in spring training. Until word surfaces that Kirilloff is ready to play in simulated games, a return to Pensacola won't be forthcoming.

• Thanks 1

Rotowire:

Kirilloff (wrist) could report to Double-A Pensacola later this week, Brandon Warne of ZoneCoverage.com reports.

He sustained the injury late in spring training, and originally was expected to return to the field sometime in April. He'll move to first base after playing the outfield last season.

He's starting in RF, so they're not going all in on the move to 1B, at least not yet. I kind of expect him to play a little of both and they can see where he's needed down the road.

10 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He's starting in RF, so they're not going all in on the move to 1B, at least not yet. I kind of expect him to play a little of both and they can see where he's needed down the road.

Makes sense given that's he's just back, missed a lot of time and outfield is what he's used to.  I am sure the overall plans havent changed though...

With the Twins looking like favourites for the Central, i could see Kirilloff forcing his way up mid- or late-season, if he just keeps on hitting like he has been.

Slashing .389/.522/.556 in his first 5 games at AA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

With the Twins looking like favourites for the Central, i could see Kirilloff forcing his way up mid- or late-season, if he just keeps on hitting like he has been.

Slashing .389/.522/.556 in his first 5 games at AA.

Has he played any 1B yet in those 5 games?

4 minutes ago, miamifin33 said:

Has he played any 1B yet in those 5 games?

Last 3 games he has played 1B. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Cruz left game with a wrist injury today... Would they ever consider him this early?

No chance - 33 career AB's at the AA level, plus Cruz is a DH anyway. Hasn't played a single game in the field all season - even gets benched for inter-league games.

Yeah as @Dark Onesaid, he simply has not seen nearly enough advanced pro pitching. The twins have several types already on the active roster that can DH.

Back to the IL with undisclosed injury

He was coming off a wrist injury which can sap power, and that seemed like it may have been the case for his first few weeks back, but he was finally getting on a roll - slashing 351/442/595 over his last 10 games.

Hopefully nothing serious. Really good hitter but his injury history has been rough.

This guy entered the 2019 season being mentioned in many prospect publications as possibly the best pure hitter in the minors behind Vlad Jr. He entered tonight with a .269/.330/.391 triple slash line in 294 at bats while displaying virtually no power. His .721 OPS is equal to an all-glove no-bat utility infielder. Granted he missed all of April with a wrist injury, which can often sap power, but these numbers are beyond weak and this has been a lost season for Kirilloff. Is he even a top-30 prospect after this dismal campaign?

14 hours ago, Baseball Batman said:

This guy entered the 2019 season being mentioned in many prospect publications as possibly the best pure hitter in the minors behind Vlad Jr. He entered tonight with a .269/.330/.391 triple slash line in 294 at bats while displaying virtually no power. His .721 OPS is equal to an all-glove no-bat utility infielder. Granted he missed all of April with a wrist injury, which can often sap power, but these numbers are beyond weak and this has been a lost season for Kirilloff. Is he even a top-30 prospect after this dismal campaign?

He had the wrist injury and I think he has been on the shelf another 2 times with other ailments. Lost season...injury plagued...whatever you want to call it I think it is a buy low opportunity. Rankings are volatile so I don't put too much weight on them. I don't expect his injuries to linger after an off-season of working to get right. I think he is a buy if an owner is frustrated with this year's performance. I expect him to do just fine when healthy. 

Over the last month he slashed 309/358/491 with a 6.7 BB% and 11.7 K%. That’s more in line with what you’d expect.

His injury problems are a concern but I don’t really question the hitting ability. Give him a healthy wrist and the AAA juiced ball next year and I think we may see big numbers again.

He’s homered in all 3 of Pensacola’s playoff games so far.

That won’t show up in his stat lines but it’s worth remembering.

• Like 2