elite

David Johnson 2017 Outlook

Just now, beerfish said:

Yeah, humans that make millions of dollars and have access to top notch medical treatment, rehab facilities and a team of doctors. 

What do you think "a team of doctors" do to make bone heal faster?  Is there some magic potion they shot into Johnson's arm?  If so, it didn't work.  The guy had his arm in a cast for weeks.  Once it's in the cast, that's it.  The "medical treatment" is waiting for the body to heal itself.  He's made no more progress than Joe the Plumber would have been expected to have made.

11 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

What do you think "a team of doctors" do to make bone heal faster?  Is there some magic potion they shot into Johnson's arm?  If so, it didn't work.  The guy had his arm in a cast for weeks.  Once it's in the cast, that's it.  The "medical treatment" is waiting for the body to heal itself.  He's made no more progress than Joe the Plumber would have been expected to have made.

There is a surgery that happened before the cast, and some surgeons are better than others just like any profession.  There is a reason why people fly across the country from smaller towns to major cities to get better medical treatment, and the same can be said for a lot of NFL level doctors and rehab.  Not every medical facility is equal to another.  Also,  I would assume the specialized rehab DJ is getting is better and more intensive than Joe the Plumber.

Edited by ap0calypse

9 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

What do you mean he's "made some incredible progress?"  He's made no more progress in the amount of time he's had than I did when I shattered my left wrist at age 20, and all I did that summer was coach a baseball team and learn to play video games with one hand (those N64 controllers had a funny shape - it was quite a feat).  He has made no more progress than any young man (pro athlete or not) would have been expected to make.  Professional athletes are not made of adamantium; they are human.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-david-johnson-wrist-video-splint-1114-story,amp.html

As per Dr.Chao, that guy is moving his wrist quite well considering he's only two months removed from surgery. In all actuality, his fracture has most likely healed, that stiffness and weakness he's feeling probably stems from prolonged immbolization and some atrophy. Rehabilitation timelines are always purposefully set with conservative timelines to provide people with a basic idea of how to track progress.  But you can certainly be ahead of schedule and heal at a faster rate than other people. It's just a fact of life. Ive had several shoulder surgeries from boxing and have seen companions with the same tears heal much more quickly. Some people have superior physical advantages. David Johnson not only certainly is stronger, faster, and more athletic than you and I, but I'm also sorry to say he can heal faster than us too. In fact, he has been noted for his special "mutant" healing capabilities. Plus, he dislocated + fractured his wrist in an apparently sensitive spot, which could be entirely different in its implications for severity and recovery than your shattered wrist.

Just now, J Boogie said:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-david-johnson-wrist-video-splint-1114-story,amp.html

As per Dr.Chao, that guy is moving his wrist quite well considering he's only two months removed from surgery. In all actuality, his fracture has most likely healed, that stiffness and weakness he's feeling probably stems from prolonged immbolization and some atrophy. Rehabilitation timelines are always purposefully set with conservative timelines to provide people with a basic idea of how to track progress.  But you can certainly be ahead of schedule and heal at a faster rate than other people. It's just a fact of life. Ive had several shoulder surgeries from boxing and have seen companions with the same tears heal much more quickly. Some people have superior physical advantages. David Johnson not only certainly is stronger, faster, and more athletic than you and I, but I'm also sorry to say he can heal faster than us too. In fact, he has been noted for his special "mutant" healing capabilities. Plus, he dislocated + fractured his wrist in an apparently sensitive spot, which could be entirely different in its implications for severity and recovery than your shattered wrist.

Grasping for straws my friend....grasping for straws

Just now, nonstopfan said:

Grasping for straws my friend....grasping for straws

Brosef, I'm not relying on david Johnson at all for my fantasy hopes. In most of my leagues I have an IR spot that's going to be free after I activate Olsen, so why not just put DJ in there in the meantime? Even if I didn't have an IR spot, I'd drop 80% of the these bum low-upside stashes everyone is obsessed with. 

Are people that don't have him that salty?

So his cast comes out and he has great movement. Then, a doctor who worked for the Chargers for nearly 2 decades says he expects him to be back and the player himself says he really wants to play.

Yet no. He won't play! Because uhh... His not 100% wrist that is 100% will communicate with the knee and it will tear.    

This is not "news".  Of course he's still weak and getting range of motion back.  It is exactly what was expected.  I'm holding until I hear a definitive out for rest of season.

45 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

He's made no more progress than Joe the Plumber would have been expected to have made.

Jennifer Lawrence Ok GIF

1 hour ago, J Boogie said:

After seeing the ping pong video last night and hearing some of his responses, no idea how some of these writers, including the ESPN and Rotoworld ones, can immediately interpret ambivalent responses as a clear sign he won't be back. From what I gathered, the dude has made some incredible progress and would love to play some football this season.  He seems extremely eager to get out there and get some action. Sure it might be too optimistic to assume he'll be back, but it still seems there's a decent possibility that he might. Totally worth a stash - if not to use, then to completely eliminate the chance your opponent might be able to do so.

Your not sure why some of the ESPN and Rotoworld writer are saying this?  The GM and coach have basically said hes not coming back this year.  

I have him stashed but as this point its not looking good

1 minute ago, atrain504 said:

Your not sure why some of the ESPN and Rotoworld writer are saying this?  The GM and coach have basically said hes not coming back this year.  

I have him stashed but as this point its not looking good

They never said that.

2 minutes ago, alleyce said:

I just dropped DJ for Rodgers today. Going off the recent articles it seems Rodgers is the one more likely to come back and.be useful for fantasy playoffs. I’d also feel more comfortable starting Rodgers his first week back.

DJ has a lot more question marks even if he comes back. The quarterback situation leads to stacked boxes. Does AP go away or do they split carries to some degree like a 70/30. With the Cards more than likely having nothing to play for I can’t imagine they give him huge workloads coming off injury. 

Over a month before arod can come back

5 full weeks of rest for DJ? I think he would need 3 max.

Week 13 should be fun.

19 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

They never said that.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians expects David Johnson (wrist surgery) to miss the remainder of 2017.

Cardinals GM Steve Keim was noncommittal on David Johnson (wrist) returning from injured reserve.

He's not coming back, even his coach doesn't think so.  I'm not a medical expert but i think he's at least a month away from putting on a jersey.  Add some more time to get used to taking contact and he's pretty much gone until week 16 at best which is a huge gamble to start him.  Given the team's situation, it's risky of them to rush him back even though DJ wants to play which is why he's more likely to be out for the season.

1 minute ago, nk3323 said:

He's not coming back, even his coach doesn't think so.  I'm not a medical expert but i think he's at least a month away from putting on a jersey.  Add some more time to get used to taking contact and he's pretty much gone until week 16 at best which is a huge gamble to start him.  Given the team's situation, it's risky of them to rush him back even though DJ wants to play which is why he's more likely to be out for the season.

That’s right you’re not a medical expert. You’re a hopeful AP owner. 

5 minutes ago, ozark said:

That’s right you’re not a medical expert. You’re a hopeful AP owner. 

I am but the facts speak for themselves.   Besides, If DJ DOES come back this year, I think we'll still see AP getting 20-25 touches a game and DJ getting 15-20.

Edited by nk3323

15 minutes ago, nk3323 said:

I am but the facts speak for themselves.   Besides, If DJ DOES come back this year, I think we'll still see AP getting 20-25 touches a game and DJ getting 15-20.

You think the Cardinals are going to give their RBs 35-45 touches per game?

15 minutes ago, nk3323 said:

Uh, what? 45 touches between the two?

Again, look at the stats after the bye week.  43 touches for RBs against San Fran (although 27 against Seattle)  It's feasible to think it will happen if game script allows it, and if DJ is out there game scripts should be a bit better.  I definitely could see them both in the backfield together (and with a lack of QB talent playing) with the running/receiving threat of   DJ and running threat of AP

27 minutes ago, WakaJawaka said:

Uh, what? 45 touches between the two?

27 minutes ago, smeeze said:

You think the Cardinals are going to give their RBs 35-45 touches per game?

Edited by nk3323

David Johnson (injured reserve) said his surgically-repaired wrist is "still pretty weak."
"I’m pretty stiff. I’m still getting the range of motion," Johnson said. "But I'm making progress." Johnson had his cast removed this week, but he still has stitches in which complicate his rehab. Johnson said he hopes to return "soon," but it seems unlikely he will be back in time to help fantasy owners this season. Nov 16 - 12:18 PM
Source: ESPN

31 minutes ago, Nguvocity said:

Why don’t they just put him on IR already if he wasn’t coming back 

He is on IR. He hasn’t yet been announced as one of their two return players. So clearly the team isn’t certain of a return. Unfortunately for the Cards they have a few options for return players. 

I hate this thread with a passion.  I always click to hopefully see some relevant news like, "David Johnson makes his return to practice," but he come here to see a bunch of nonsense