mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

Recommended Posts

all week i kept telling dayton owners to chill out, dodgers just weren't getting the opps. i concede defeat. i was wrong. i have no idea what the dodgers bullpen system is, but whatever it is, it doesn't appear to feature dayton protecting leads

 

still think that could change over time but relievers are so fungible there's no point trying to force it

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wily mo said:

all week i kept telling dayton owners to chill out, dodgers just weren't getting the opps. i concede defeat. i was wrong. i have no idea what the dodgers bullpen system is, but whatever it is, it doesn't appear to feature dayton protecting leads

 

still think that could change over time but relievers are so fungible there's no point trying to force it

Can't even remember the last year I thought the Dodgers used their pen correctly, don't beat yourself up about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

meanwhile, today's little micro-discovery was wandy peralta

 

i tend to scan fangraphs' pitcher leaderboard every week or so, set to rookies, just to see who's showing up

 

* blanket small sample warning over all that follows, obviously *

 

so the highest rookie SwStr% so far, besides okert who's faced like two batters, is this "wandy peralta" at 24.4% in 5 innings

 

bullet points beyond that -

 

* lefty

* avg FB 95.8... good, good

* 38% Ks so far, good. 10% walks, little high

* articles from spring say he worked over the winter to sharpen up his slider, much better this year than in the past

* gave up a homer to thames. but who hasn't, right? and that's his only hit, only run so far. that plus two walks, is it, in 5.1 IP

* reds fan chatter about him on twitter is generally positive, one said he's "already working his way into the late game mix"

 

lefty is usually bad; like many of you, i tend to home in on righties with good stuff just becuase they have a better shot to evolve into closers

 

but i'm willing to forgive that a little bit here because the reds seem to be taking a position in the vanguard of creative bullpen usage

 

like, they really don't seem to care. they'll do whatever

 

that could make wandy P an interesting wildcard to get holds or even random wildcat saves. not as The Closer but just because he's who wanders in from the bullpen for the 9th that day

 

plus, as a wandy, he reminds us of wandy rodriguez, which is a nice bonus. and he's confusing in the box score because you think he's wily peralta, but he's not. which is also nice

 

anyway. it may lead to nothing, but this is the obscure middle reliever who caught my eye today

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt Barnes locked in set up role for Boston. Must own in Holds leagues even with Thornburg and Smith coming back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, remark900 said:

Matt Barnes locked in set up role for Boston. Must own in Holds leagues even with Thornburg and Smith coming back?

 

Yes, because there are only so many solid definitive 8th inning guys out there and there is no guarantee that Thornburg or Smith will be effective when they come back. Smith hasn't been good in 2 years and who knows how the shoulder issue will affect Thornburg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With 2 weeks done can we get a list of the known immediate 8th inning guy for holds leagues.  I see only a few after these 2 weeks:

 

Bal: Brach

Col: Ottavino

NYY: Betances/Clippard

Mil: Knebel

Pit: Riverio/Hudson

Phil: Neris

 

All the other teams seem to mix and match when Hold opportunities exist, while the teams I listed, always use these guys to get to the closer in a save situation. Any teams I miss?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ragnaroker said:

 

He is a lefty and 3rd in line for setup it seems. They like Buchter as the primary set up for the great Maurer. Hand is legit.

 

Yeah he is very good. I wish he were getting more innings so he could be Devenski-lite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, smuz1 said:

With 2 weeks done can we get a list of the known immediate 8th inning guy for holds leagues.  I see only a few after these 2 weeks:

 

Pitcherlist.com has weekly rankings for holds guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jumbo Diaz pitched the 8th today for Tampa...could be the setup man, now that Ramirez is joining the rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, smuz1 said:

With 2 weeks done can we get a list of the known immediate 8th inning guy for holds leagues.  I see only a few after these 2 weeks:

 

Bal: Brach

Col: Ottavino

NYY: Betances/Clippard

Mil: Knebel

Pit: Riverio/Hudson

Phil: Neris

 

All the other teams seem to mix and match when Hold opportunities exist, while the teams I listed, always use these guys to get to the closer in a save situation. Any teams I miss?

I think you should add DET Justin Wilson to this list 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been very impressed with what I've seen from Knebel. Milwaukee has been a bit of a surprise team, with an 8-7 record, but we all know that saves and holds don't necessarily gravitate towards the winningest teams anyway. I think he'll continue to be a good source of holds with good Ks and excellent ratios. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jacob barnes struck out the side again, generated a ton of swinging strikes again with the cutter/slider.

 

Milwaukee commentator, "this kid has closer written all over him."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very impressive. Still third in line though. So it might take a while. Today Knebel was shaky so maybe that gets him a bit closer to moving up the depth chart.

Helps if you're in a HLD league.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Very impressive. Still third in line though. So it might take a while. Today Knebel was shaky so maybe that gets him a bit closer to moving up the depth chart.

Helps if you're in a HLD league.

 

Chasing saves, I totally get.

 

With holds, the equation is a little different for me. I chase talent, and hope/pray the holds come. The hold is almost secondary to what I perceive as the quality of the pitcher.

 

Barnes wasn't getting holds at the beginning of the year. He's getting holds now. Will keep working his way into higher and higher leverage. 7th inning isn't bad.

 

Just my philosophy towards middle relief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nightly wandy peralta update: brought in to face three right-handed hitters, struck them out on 10 pitches

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Chasing saves, I totally get.

 

With holds, the equation is a little different for me. I chase talent, and hope/pray the holds come. The hold is almost secondary to what I perceive as the quality of the pitcher.

 

Barnes wasn't getting holds at the beginning of the year. He's getting holds now. Will keep working his way into higher and higher leverage. 7th inning isn't bad.

 

Just my philosophy towards middle relief.

I'll be totally honest. I'm super salty about Jacob Barnes. My 12 team NL Only league is very on the ball, but I thought Barnes was beneath their radar. I was wrong. I don't own any shares, but this kid is an aboslute stud. The worst part is the guy that drafted him is one of the 2 guys in the league who is present for draft day then vanishes all year. So I can't even buy him cheap. Oh well. I agree with Fawkes though. I've watched this guy a decent amount. He'll be closing for Milwaukee this time next year IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wily mo said:

nightly wandy peralta update: brought in to face three right-handed hitters, struck them out on 10 pitches

 

with that, he now has the highest swinging strike % of any pitcher (not just rookies) who's made more than one appearance this season. 25%

 

FBv is up to an even 96, K% up to 45.5

 

K% leaderboard, guys who've pitched more than one inning:

 

1. josh fields (?) 57.1

2. devenski 55.3

3. david robertson 55

4. kahnle 54.6

5. cody allen 52

6. rosenthal 50

7. doolittle 47.4

8. brach 45.8

9. wandy II 45.5

9. joe smith 45.5

11. kimbrel 44.4

 

three takeaways from this, (1) i love small samples, (2) maybe we should eyeball josh fields a little bit, (3) wandy

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 guys from that list look like worth keeping an eye on them:

Kahnle, Fields, Smith and of course Wandy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any insight into why David Phelps has been so terrible this year? Last year he was money. I'm about to cut bait for a new shiny toy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Anyone have any insight into why David Phelps has been so terrible this year? Last year he was money. I'm about to cut bait for a new shiny toy.

Wondering same thing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know why Rosenthal wasn't credited with a Hold last night? He came into the 8th with a 6-2 lead, gave up a solo homer, a hit, 2 k's and then got out of it. I though that as long as you passed the ball to the closer with the lead in tact you got a hold..am I wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

Anyone know why Rosenthal wasn't credited with a Hold last night? He came into the 8th with a 6-2 lead, gave up a solo homer, a hit, 2 k's and then got out of it. I though that as long as you passed the ball to the closer with the lead in tact you got a hold..am I wrong?

 

has to be a save situation when he comes in, same rules as for the closer. 4-run lead was too big. the homer he gave up set up the save

 

meanwhile, on to the real important business of the middle relievers thread... wandy peralta with another clean 2K inning last night. now leads MLB in swstr%, no IP minimum, by like 2.5% over the next guy

 

starting to get that thing where people on twitter make fun of him because he's a reds pitcher they've never heard of so he must be bad, then 20 minutes later they see him pitch and are like "hmm..."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wily mo said:

 

has to be a save situation when he comes in, same rules as for the closer. 4-run lead was too big. the homer he gave up set up the save

 

meanwhile, on to the real important business of the middle relievers thread... wandy peralta with another clean 2K inning last night. now leads MLB in swstr%, no IP minimum, by like 2.5% over the next guy

 

starting to get that thing where people on twitter make fun of him because he's a reds pitcher they've never heard of so he must be bad, then 20 minutes later they see him pitch and are like "hmm..."

 


Does Peralta have a new pitch or something?  His k rates have never been impressive prior...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Does Peralta have a new pitch or something?  His k rates have never been impressive prior...

 

apparently he rebuilt his slider over the winter. beyond that tidbit i'm mostly just riding the stat output at this point

 

 

Edited by wily mo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.