mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

5 minutes ago, wily mo said:

apparently he totally redid his slider over the winter. beyond that tidbit i'm mostly just riding the stat output at this point

Yeah, I read where you said prior that he was sharpening his slider.  However, pitchers are always "sharpening" their stuff with results pretty much the same as before.  He looks to have made significant progress though.  He's on my watch list so cheers for that at least...

Edited by knuckleheads

Just now, knuckleheads said:

Yeah, I read where you said prior that he was sharpening his slider.  However, pitchers are always "sharpening" their stuff with results pretty much the same.  He's on my watch list so cheers for that at least...

yeah sure, if the only thing you have is a guy saying "man i worked on my slider all winter it's way better now" at the beginning of spring training i'm not particularly interested in that quote by itself, you get a couple of them a day in late february. but when the guy says that and then comes into that season and starts performing like this, even if it's only in like five innings, i sit up in my chair real fast. he could always fall apart tomorrow, but who couldn't

1 minute ago, wily mo said:

yeah sure, if the only thing you have is a guy saying "man i worked on my slider all winter it's way better now" at the beginning of spring training i'm not particularly interested in that quote by itself, you get a couple of them a day in late february. but when the guy says that and then comes into that season and starts performing like this, even if it's only in like five innings, i sit up in my chair real fast. he could always fall apart tomorrow, but who couldn't

Exactly this. "Sharpening ____" quotes don't mean much...until we see some evidence it's actually sharper.

Coming out of the gates with a 40% SwStr rate is pretty good evidence it's actually sharper (though it's still very possible it's a SSS mirage)

Color me interested on Wandy. 

I'm still speculating on Tony Zych in one league, may make the swap depending on how this weekend shakes out.

10 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

Brad Peacock is nasty. 9.2 IP - 1 H - 0 R - 4 BB - 15 K. 

And SP eligible in ESPN

Should we be worried Archie moves to rotation with this Shelby Miller injury?

Peacock is good, there was some talk he will get chance starting, Musgrove is having problems so far

11 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

Brad Peacock is nasty. 9.2 IP - 1 H - 0 R - 4 BB - 15 K. 

11 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

And SP eligible in ESPN

19 minutes ago, Pap said:

Peacock is good, there was some talk he will get chance starting, Musgrove is having problems so far

"Im a Peacock, you gotta let me fly!!!" - Brad Peacock

4 rehab appearances for Capps now. Any updates on when he rejoins the team?

officially interested in this wandy guy. will monitor his usage, hopefully forces himself into the setup role

10 minutes ago, Joesh said:

4 rehab appearances for Capps now. Any updates on when he rejoins the team?

I get the feeling he could be back any day now but I haven't heard anything. 

With latest breakdown what is Lorenzen role looking right now, long reliver?

He could be usless even in holds leagues.

Or am I taking too much from last problems he had?

wandy peralta SwStr% report: still going up. at 27% now, 4.4% ahead of leclerc, which is the same as the distance between leclerc and 22nd place on the list

wandy has been surpassed in the small sample theatre by james hoyt, who i also love. hoyt got swings on one-third of his pitches in his MLB season debut, good for 3 Ks amid 5 outs in 5 batters for a FIP of negative 0.70

just need better roles for these two. i think wandy will get there soon. going to be a lot harder for hoyt in houston's already-crowded pen, but i believe in the skill set

I think Wandy will close soon. Lorenzen is solid but I don't think he's *really* in the saves picture. The obvious guy is Iglesias but when you use him for multiple innings then sometimes he's unavailable the following day when you might need him. 

Peralta is like found money. You can keep everyone the way you like but save him for the 9th. You could potentially have either Lorenzen or Iglesias available every day to bridge you from 7th to 9th or something like that. 

Peralta is absolutely filthy. He has 3 plus pitches. His change up is death to RHBs so he's not a LOOGY. 

4 minutes ago, dod959 said:

I think Wandy will close soon. Lorenzen is solid but I don't think he's *really* in the saves picture. The obvious guy is Iglesias but when you use him for multiple innings then sometimes he's unavailable the following day when you might need him. 

Peralta is like found money. You can keep everyone the way you like but save him for the 9th. You could potentially have either Lorenzen or Iglesias available every day to bridge you from 7th to 9th or something like that. 

Peralta is absolutely filthy. He has 3 plus pitches. His change up is death to RHBs so he's not a LOOGY. 

he did finally give up a hit that wasn't a thames homer, which is disappointing and frankly beneath him

are you a reds fan or just a middle reliever aficionado? i haven't really done a deep dive into how the reds pen actually works, recent manager quotes or any of that... i'm honestly not even sure who the closer is actually supposed to be. it's a weird pen. that's part of why i like wandy so much, it just smells like a land of opportunity, but i don't actually know what's really going on

3 minutes ago, wily mo said:

he did finally give up a hit that wasn't a thames homer, which is disappointing and frankly beneath him

are you a reds fan or just a middle reliever aficionado? i haven't really done a deep dive into how the reds pen actually works, recent manager quotes or any of that... i'm honestly not even sure who the closer is actually supposed to be. it's a weird pen. that's part of why i like wandy so much, it just smells like a land of opportunity, but i don't actually know what's really going on

Well I have MLB.TV so I go back and look at guys pitch by pitch really quickly when I see their advanced stats are popping off the page. There's no question Peralta is dominant right now. He is throwing a high fastball that hitters can't catch up to and pairing it with a slider 10 mph slower coming in under their hands. And then he has a change for the outside corner at like 85 mph. It's pure filth. 

I usually try to go to message boards of these teams to see what fans are saying. Reds fans seem to be somewhat against this new fangled bullpen setup because you don't have a guy that you can go to in the 9th reliably. For example, Iglesias has not pitched on B2B days so far this season. And Lorenzen has done it once. 

They are in favor of Iglesias getting as many innings as possible though, because he's too good to limit to 60 IP. I think Reds starters are averaging like 4.7 IP a game right now so they are going to be using Lorenzen and Iglesias earlier and earlier. I just don't think it's possible for Iglesias and Lorenzen to effectively share the saves like this. 

My issue with him is his name is a mixture of Wandy Rodriguez and Wily Peralta. That screams something that's pretty far from "dominant".

For all actual reasons I love the dude, but I don't play in holds leagues so I'm agnostic when it comes to role - just looking for ERA/WHIP/K

Just watched this Ariel Hernandez kid make his major league debut for the Reds.

2 2/3 innings, 0 hits, 0 walks, 5 Ks. 30 pitches. Throws 100 MPH with a wipeout slurve. Incredibly impressive against a Brewers team that had just smashed Amir Garrett.

reds bullpen update

not about wandy peralta this time!

they called up ariel hernandez from AA as a fresh arm

he throws 100 with an 80 curve but has had horrible command problems

yet so far tonight he has 5K vs 0 walks in 2.2 IP

i'm even less sure what's going to happen with him than i am with wandy, but he might legitimately have some of the best raw stuff in organized baseball. so that's a good hook to hang your hat on, literally and metaphorically

EDIT: jinx

Edited by wily mo

19 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Just watched this Ariel Hernandez kid make his major league debut for the Reds.

2 2/3 innings, 0 hits, 0 walks, 5 Ks. 30 pitches. Throws 100 MPH with a wipeout slurve. Incredibly impressive against a Brewers team that had just smashed Amir Garrett.

If anything hurts this guy it will be his command. If he spots his pitches like he did tonight in his debut, he will be untouchable. He could probably get by with a BB rate above 3 based on the raw stuff but if he starts touching 4 or 5, it more than likely won't end well.

16 minutes ago, dod959 said:

I saw an 89 mph curve from him. 

Reds broadcast said that in pre-game interviews, Hernandez called it a slurve as its somewhere between a curve and a slider. Tonight it was Jose Fernandez (RIP) good. Fastball is a little straight, but it seems to explode on hitters (even beyond "just" being 100 mph)

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Are we grabbing Hernandez over Wandy?

Not yet. Gotta see a few more outings first.