mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

I really wish Dan Altavilla had been good and stuck around like some thought he would, if for no other reason than the nicknamability:

Altavilla the Hun

Pancho Altavilla

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Has anyone been rostering Brad Peacock? His numbers look good.

yes on several teams with k/bb stat

On 4/25/2017 at 0:55 PM, mysonx3 said:

Name I haven't seen yet:

Anthony Swarzak

Only Swarzak and Cody Allen are top 10 in both SwStr% and F-Strike% among RP. Incidentally, those two also have nearly identical O-Swing% - 38.8% for Allen and 38.7% for Swarzak, good for 21st and 22nd among RP. He has the 14th best Contact% and 8th best Z-Contact%. Running a 1.62 SIERA

swarzak or Kahnle????

@wily mo - ya i just picked up kahnle too...it was between him and swarzak.  kahnle has 14 ks and 1 walk in 6.2 innings.

Edited by jfazz23

2 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

swarzak or Kahnle????

Kahnle came into a high leverage situation today( 2 Run lead with 2 men on base in the 7th and got the inning ending K)  While also coming into tie games twice earlier this year

While Swarzak has been used in more lower leverage except like once.. Id lean Kahnle right now..

On 4/25/2017 at 0:29 PM, wily mo said:

i'm not sure exactly what MRP stands for here, but those are two of the best currently widely available guys IMO, probably the two best. so i dig it, whatever it means

here's this morning's Small Sample SwStr% report:

(even smaller samples noted)

1. hoyt (1.2 IP)

2. wandy

3. ariel (2.2 IP)

4. cody allen

5. leclerc

6. jorge de la rosa? ok

7. pedro baez

8. d-robertson

9. swarzak

10. dillon overton? (1.1 IP, sub-90 FB, prob disregard)

11. devenski

12. clippard

13. kahnle

14. putnam

15. andrew bailey (3 IP)

there's swarzak, as mentioned above

i haven't dug into kahnle myself but somebody else just picked him up in my league, so that might be happening

hope putnam's elbow is ok because he's been pretty great

three white sox in the top 15 with no nate jones is kinda crazy

De La Rosa gained 4 MPH on his fastball (From 90 to 94) and no longer has to deal with coors breaking ball suppression/flattening..

If you were wondering why his name seemed random..

32 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

swarzak or Kahnle????

@wily mo - ya i just picked up kahnle too...it was between him and swarzak.  kahnle has 14 ks and 1 walk in 6.2 innings.

I'd go Kahnle. Stuff seems a little better, and being used in higher leverage.

Any love for Mychal Givens? Just looking at his numbers he look elite. Someone enlighten me why he should not be rostered.

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Any love for Mychal Givens? Just looking at his numbers he look elite. Someone enlighten me why he should not be rostered.

Britton will be back soon and Givens will be like the 4th guy out of the pen.Not much for holds or saves.

I grabbed Peacock, Archie Bradley is there too.. always got Wandy and LeClerc.. I need to slow down my games pitched and get points and holds. 

3 hours ago, hondo said:

Britton will be back soon and Givens will be like the 4th guy out of the pen.Not much for holds or saves.

Can he be a reliable source for strikeouts and low ERA/WHIP? Will he get enough innings over a week with everyone back to achieve these things?

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

3 hours ago, hondo said:

Like tonight-  2 batters in the 6th,0.79 ERA,0.88 WHIP and no Ks.

Put him in the 8th consistently and you've got something.

I agree with Sullivan from fangraphs. Ariel Hernandez needs to be owned in all NL only's. The Reds have a funkyway of seeing the bullpen and that guy's better than anyone they have.

30 minutes ago, maguirekm said:

I agree with Sullivan from fangraphs. Ariel Hernandez needs to be owned in all NL only's. The Reds have a funkyway of seeing the bullpen and that guy's better than anyone they have.

hes better than peralta?

9 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

hes better than peralta?

I would say that his stuff looks better but he's definitely not the better pitcher right now. Ariel has struggled with his command while Wandy has been one of the best relievers in all of baseball this year. And it's not like he doesn't have nasty stuff either. 

For speculation purposes I 100% would rather own Ariel over Wandy yes

Neither Wandy nor Ariel is owned in my NL only league. I'm not even remotely interested in Wandy. But I'm bidding on Ariel this week for sure.

Edited by maguirekm

47 minutes ago, maguirekm said:

Neither Wandy nor Ariel is owned in my NL only league. I'm not even remotely interested in Wandy. But I'm bidding on Ariel this week for sure.

Didn't Ariel Hernandez get sent back down ?

2 hours ago, maguirekm said:

I'm 100 times more interested in the guy leading MLB in whiff rate (Wandy) than a guy in Double-A.

5 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

I'm 100 times more interested in the guy leading MLB in whiff rate (Wandy) than a guy in Double-A.

Well Jeff Sullivan and I would agree to disagree then sir.

I usually have a pretty good eye for bullpen breakouts and the Wandy hype seems a bit unbalanced. I've watched him a bunch (on TV, I have MLB package) and he's good, but color me unimpressed.

Edited by maguirekm

if all you want is to find the next closer, then i can see ariel over wandy. the pure stuff, the righthandedness. if he's really starting to get the command figured out he could go nuts fast. so it depends on what you're trying to do

4 minutes ago, maguirekm said:

Well Jeff Sullivan and I would agree to disagree then sir.

I 100% guarantee that Sullivan would rather own the guy who is actually pitching. You understand Hernandez can't get you any stats right now? He's literally a minor leaguer

1 minute ago, mysonx3 said:

I 100% guarantee that Sullivan would rather own the guy who is actually pitching. You understand Hernandez can't get you any stats right now? He's literally a minor leaguer

Wily Mo gets it. And if you follow fangraphs (I'm sure you do, you're on these boards a lot) then you know that Jeff Sullivan HATES fantasy baseball.

Yeah, if you're looking for holds pick up Wandy. If you want the next Reds closer, pick up Ariel. That's all I'm saying.