mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

13 minutes ago, maguirekm said:

Wily Mo gets it. 

don't get me wrong, i'm mildly offended that you said the wandy hype was "unbalanced". like does that make me the joker

but yeah, the profile on each guy is different enough that i can see the priority between the two changing based on your league and your situation

wandy's the guy who's here now, good stuff, lots of swings, could plausibly get into a saves mix but no sure thing on that

whereas if you're purely looking for a three-year saves stock ariel is probably the better play. could be months from now or even next year that that really starts to happen, though

on a personal note, i'm incredibly angry about ariel because i picked him up in my league the moment he was called up, since i already knew who he was, but then dropped him before he actually pitched when i figured out he was just going to get sent down again. i figured he'd just pitch one inning with a K and probably a walk and nobody would notice or care. but then later that day he pitched and did what he did and got a damn sullivan article and now he's going to get claimed and i'm never going to see him again

sometimes i'm so good at this i go around the corner into being actually really bad at it

ariel. my little mermaid

Edited by wily mo

4 minutes ago, wily mo said:

don't get me wrong, i'm mildly offended that you said the wandy hype was "unbalanced". like does that make me the joker

but yeah, the profile on each guy is different enough that i can see the priority between the two changing based on your league and your situation

wandy's the guy who's here now, good stuff, lots of swings, could plausibly get into a saves mix but no sure thing on that

whereas if you're purely looking for a three-year saves stock ariel is probably the better play. could be months from now or even next year that that really starts to happen, though

on a personal note, i'm incredibly angry about ariel because i picked him up in my league the moment he was called up, since i already knew who he was, but then dropped him before he actually pitched when i figured out he was just going to get sent down again. i figured he'd just pitch one inning with a K and probably a walk and nobody would notice or care. but then later that day he pitched and did what he did and got a damn sullivan article and now he's going to get claimed and i'm never going to see him again

sometimes i'm so good at this i go around the corner into being actually really bad at it

ariel. my little mermaid

I was going to explain myself after reading the first half of your response, because I felt I needed to explain what I meant by "unbalanced" aka - Wandy's not as good as you guys think he is, but after reading the second half of your post I don't know where to go, I'm so confused. HAHA, keep being you, Wily mo and my son. You guysare both pillars of this community

15 minutes ago, wily mo said:

ariel. my little mermaid

This used to happen to me until I realized that it's better to not pick up the hidden gems until you're absolutely sure of their situation or until an article comes out and you're forced to pick them up. Once you pick someone up in your league, everyone looks into that player because they're so obscure and the cat is out of the bag. 

22 minutes ago, wily mo said:

ariel. my little mermaid

Happened to me in the one league  with Devenski.He hadn't gotten any saves or holds so I quietly dropped him for a streamer and the next day he did his second 2 inning massacre and the horns sounded and I had to sit and watch him on the wire,unclaimable.:(

I kept Nicasio over him.:(:(

I still weep about it sometimes when I'm alone and it's the wee hours.

Any reason why Peacock isn't getting much use out of the Astros pen? He can throw more than 60-70 innings this year, right?

13 minutes ago, Joesh said:

Any reason why Peacock isn't getting much use out of the Astros pen? He can throw more than 60-70 innings this year, right?

Stros have a deep pen, maybe the best in the league. Can't use everybody all of the time .

Tommy Kahnle, that 100MPH K looked nice by Tommy Kahnle.

Edited by phatrat
Bench Coach content removed

1 hour ago, RedRaider27 said:

Do we trust Nate Jones again? His numbers have looked good lately.

sure, why not

white sox pen is actually getting annoying... seems like every guy they have is killing it, so you can't just assume any particular guy will get into the holds no matter how good his numbers are. jones, kahnle, swarzak, putnam... too many. stop

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Any idea if Grant Dayton is coming back this weekend?

according to the beat writer tweets from last night, it was bumped from friday to saturday, for some reason

so that means today. for all the good it will do us, as random as the dodgers' pen usage has been

Edited by wily mo

1 minute ago, Pernil said:

That Barnes dude is pulling an Altavilla

Dont know how that wasnt ruled an error on Villar. Got a double play ball dropped which allowed tying run to score. 

Hasnt been as sharp lately, but still have to like the skills and potential role. 

Dev with another vulture W.  Great to have in your back pocket when you're on an innings budget.

Edited by borindia

27 minutes ago, davidgoretiz said:

Dont know how that wasnt ruled an error on Villar. Got a double play ball dropped which allowed tying run to score. 

Hasnt been as sharp lately, but still have to like the skills and potential role. 

Knebel pitched the 7th and Barnes the 8th. Had Barnes passed Knebel? Or did Knebel pitch the 7th to face the top of the St Louis lineup in a bullpen revolution move?

9 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

Knebel pitched the 7th and Barnes the 8th. Had Barnes passed Knebel? Or did Knebel pitch the 7th to face the top of the St Louis lineup in a bullpen revolution move?

Knebel and Barnes feel pretty even to me. That is a good point about Knebel facing the top of the lineup, as Barnes was coming off a rough appearance. Knebel hasnt done anything to lose his title of set up guy, but as we've seen tonight that doesnt always mean 8th inning. 

Both should still be solid for holds, I think some of us are too quick to assume Feliz will be out as closer in the near future. 

tuesday morning swstr% report

setting an arbitrary 5 IP minimum at this point

1. wandy 24.7

2. leclerc 23

3. JDLR 22.2 

4. devenski 21.9

5. swarzak 21.2

6. kimbrel 20.2 yawn

7. cody allen 19.6 closers, boring

8. kahnle 19.6 now we're talking

9. jansen 19.4 ugh

10. putnam 19.4 (DL)

11. adam morgan ??? 18.8

12. clippard 

... cody reed, fien, blevins, jarlin garcia

small samples eliminated from this range: ariel, hoyt, bracho

no massive news here. entire white sox bullpen is still made of like 8 closers wtf

i never think about adam morgan and honestly i'm not inclined to start now. but that's how they get you. still. it's only six innings. make him do it a little longer, then maybe i'll think about him

K% report, same minimum

1. kahnle 57.6 lol good luck

2. devenski 51.5

3. cody allen 50 even

4. kimbrel 47.6

5. jansen 46 get these closers out of the middle reliever thread. but leaving them for context

6. rosenthal 45.5

7. betances 43.8

8. justin wilson 43.6

9. leclerc 43.2

10. blevins 42.1

11. wandy 41.5

12. josh fields 41.2

13. aroldis 40.5

14. quackenbush 40 (5 IP, sent to minors. but looks to be in good form based on early results)

15. blake parker 40

16. peacock 39.1

17. jarlin garcia 39.1

18. d-rob 38.5

19. bush 38.2

20. doolittle 27.9

interesting fringe names, summary report

- this thread's usual suspects (kahnle, wandy, swarzak, leclerc, putnam if/when healthy)

- trending: JDLR

- next layer down: josh fields, jarlin garcia, blevins, quackenbush

jacob barnes is killing me. Still holding cause I think the raw talent is sick. Do what you gotta do though, I totally get it if you cut a middle reliever that pisses you off.

Matt Barnes have any value? He was dropped after being suspended. 

I'm still thinking JDLR might be a great add for wins and holds.

21 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

jacob barnes is killing me. Still holding cause I think the raw talent is sick. Do what you gotta do though, I totally get it if you cut a middle reliever that pisses you off.

I'm with you.  Kneble looking good too, might have to swap them. 

34 minutes ago, The Answer said:

I'm with you.  Kneble looking good too, might have to swap them. 

Jacobs was supposed to be the one with the better command, but both pitchers are sporting mid 4's BB/9 rates. With that kind of control, they will both have their off days.