mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

9 hours ago, wily mo said:

james hoyt lit into them for 5 Ks in 2 innings and the win tonight. he's been a weird fascination of mine since last year & i hope they finally start using him in real situations soon

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1347097783/texhou-hoyt-fans-five-over-two-strong-relief-frames

I owned Peacock before and he seems to never get used, do you think Hoyt would end up with the same trouble?

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I owned Peacock before and he seems to never get used, do you think Hoyt would end up with the same trouble?

dunno. i suspect peacock's problem is that he's a converted starter / multi-inning guy and they already have devenski who has priority over him, so there just aren't enough of those situations to go around for two guys on the same team. hoyt is more of a traditional one-inning late-game reliever. but the astros have plenty of those too, so

Might be a sneaky add before his name blows up.

Rays recalled LHP Jose Alvarado from Double-A Montgomery.

Alvarado is only 21 years old and began the 2016 season in Low-A ball, but he's managed to shoot through the Rays' farm system since converting full time to relief and could prove to a big bullpen weapon for Tampa Bay this year. Alvarado was sporting a 2.38 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, and 14/5 K/BB ratio through 11 1/3 innings this season at the Double-A level.

Keep an eye on Austin Pruitt

He's currently the high-leverage longman in the Tampa Bay 'pen. As we saw with Erasmo last year, that can be a very valuable role. Pruitt has received the W in three of his past four appearances.

His numbers on the season aren't all that impressive as he really struggled in his first couple appearances. He's also not a elite K% guy like a Wandy. He's older (27), definitely on the smaller size (5'11'', 165) and doesn't have a big fastball. Kinda boring, I know. But if the command transitions from the minors, then he should be able to carve out a niche with his repertoire.

I am streaming him tonight as he hasn't pitched since the 28th. The inefficient Snell is going for TB up against Conley for the Marlins. I know it's very difficult to predict reliever wins, but tonight is the perfect storm for Pruitt-- Rays are favorites to win, and there's a good chance Snell doesn't go a full 5.

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Might be a sneaky add before his name blows up.

Rays recalled LHP Jose Alvarado from Double-A Montgomery.

Alvarado is only 21 years old and began the 2016 season in Low-A ball, but he's managed to shoot through the Rays' farm system since converting full time to relief and could prove to a big bullpen weapon for Tampa Bay this year. Alvarado was sporting a 2.38 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, and 14/5 K/BB ratio through 11 1/3 innings this season at the Double-A level.

yeah i'm not really sure why the frontpage blurb crew has decided to hype this one particular reliever callup. his numbers aren't even that outlandishly good for a minor league reliever. a little over a K per inning... literally every RP prospect worth even talking about does that. he walks a lot of guys. and he's lefthanded, which is fine but not the ideal arm configuration for saves

last year in a larger sample in high-A he had an ERA pushing 4 and a meh 24% K rate. still with the walks. a 1.65 WHIP

we'll see what he does in the majors but i am unexcite

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Thanks, I just saw his 98MPH fastball and that looked nice. 

yeah, i don't know anything about his stuff, since i'd never heard of him before today. maybe he's suddenly turned a corner. we'll see how he registers on the pitch measurement robots now that he's in the show. it's not impossible that he's interesting, it's just not clear to me from the stat sheet where the hype is coming from

btw wandy dropped below leclerc in swstr% last night. i'm not happy about it. but apparently leclerc is secretly injured or something?

6 hours ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

He's currently the high-leverage longman in the Tampa Bay 'pen. As we saw with Erasmo last year, that can be a very valuable role. Pruitt has received the W in three of his past four appearances.

His numbers on the season aren't all that impressive as he really struggled in his first couple appearances. He's also not a elite K% guy like a Wandy. He's older (27), definitely on the smaller size (5'11'', 165) and doesn't have a big fastball. Kinda boring, I know. But if the command transitions from the minors, then he should be able to carve out a niche with his repertoire.

I am streaming him tonight as he hasn't pitched since the 28th. The inefficient Snell is going for TB up against Conley for the Marlins. I know it's very difficult to predict reliever wins, but tonight is the perfect storm for Pruitt-- Rays are favorites to win, and there's a good chance Snell doesn't go a full 5.

Aight, go ahead an take that eye off Austin Pruitt. 

FYI ariel hernandez gave up 2 runs on 2 hits and 2 walks in one inning with no strikeouts tonight down in AA. he's not perfect yet

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Leclerc hurt? Say it aint so, I will drop ASAP!

i'm seeing now that he pitched last night? and that tweet was from like the day before that. so i have no idea what's happening, but it looks like his arm hasn't completely fallen off or anything. maybe some nagging non-arm issue? 

or maybe he mouthed off in a practice or something, i hear the rangers hate that

Edited by wily mo

8 hours ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

My condolences.

2 hours ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

Aight, go ahead an take that eye off Austin Pruitt. 

theory was pretty sound though...

9 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

theory was pretty sound though...

Yeah it's an ugly outing, but I trust the process-- he was one Blake Snell ball away from coming in with the lead in the 5th. 

Also serves as a reminder about the downside of RP streaming. 

Mike Dunn coming off DL, I just picked him off my waivers in a 12 team league.. he has great numbers. 

2 hours ago, street sharks said:

So Grant Dayton kinda sucks

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Grant Dayton just got dropped by me, eeeeh, I fell for his hype. 

he's just not the same this year. it's early but his velocity's down by 1mph, whiffs are down by a third... and those numbers are all before tonight, in outings where he was generally getting good results. but just watching him, he's totally lost the feeling of invincibility and the ability to just throw the ball by people that he had last year.

no idea what happened to him but i've pretty much lost hope too. if it comes back it comes back, keep an eye on him, but there's no reason to hold him

i mean, what was he on the DL for? intercostal strain? that's the ribcage, kind of similar to an oblique... that might be why. probably is, actually, in the absence of any better information. but, those things can be pesky. and he's a middle reliever. so, my "no reason to hold him" stands. if and when he starts having good outings again, we can all pick him back up

Edited by wily mo

Nate Jones to the 10 day DL, why I have no idea. Its just another injury for my squad..

Just now, chud12 said:

Nate Jones to the 10 day DL, why I have no idea. Its just another injury for my squad..

" Forearm irritation"

23 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Tommy Kahlne's prospects for holds just went up by a lot.

Added jarlin garcia, sp/rp in ESPN, starting to get some leverage middle innings. Good ratios and k rate so far. Haven't done a deep dive. Watched a little bit of him on MLB.tv 94+ FB with a couple of secondaries. Enough to pick up with that sweet SP tag.

33 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

Tommy Kahlne's prospects for holds just went up by a lot.

Thanks to this thread people were on top of this before this news or were able to pull the trigger quickly upon seeing it. Some day I hope this thread sees as much action as the Closer one. 

SV+H leagues should become standard. 

1 hour ago, bcobb311 said:

Thanks to this thread people were on top of this before this news or were able to pull the trigger quickly upon seeing it. Some day I hope this thread sees as much action as the Closer one. 

SV+H leagues should become standard. 

Funny you say this, I agree. This thread feels like the closer thread circa 5yrs ago. It's my dirty little K/9 league secret, and I love it this way. Enjoy this, eventually I think your wish happens and then it's a crazy ish show up in here. 

I love the closer thread still, but this one is like my secret campground hideaway.