mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

31 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Funny you say this, I agree. This thread feels like the closer thread circa 5yrs ago. It's my dirty little K/9 league secret, and I love it this way. Enjoy this, eventually I think your wish happens and then it's a crazy ish show up in here. 

I love the closer thread still, but this one is like my secret campground hideaway. 

This thread is a lot less hysterical and a lot more analysis-driven than the closer thread.

Anyways, Swarzak is another White Sox middle reliever that gets some boost in the holds chase, which is a much milder race.

Re SVHD leagues, Fernando Rodney isn't owned in my 16 team dynasty. I love that. I totally understand the "SAGNOF" approach to saves, but the assault on ratios is almost unforgivable sometimes. Brad Lidge also comes to mind.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

3 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

This thread is a lot less hysterical and a lot more analysis-driven than the closer thread.

Anyways, Swarzak is another White Sox middle reliever that gets some boost in the holds chase, which is a much milder race.

Re SVHD leagues, Fernando Rodney isn't owned in my 16 team dynasty. I love that. I totally understand the "SAGNOF" approach to saves, but the assault on ratios is almost unforgivable sometimes. Brad Lidge also comes to mind.

Yes. A lot more proactive analytical thinking in this thread. The closer thread is like a train wreck, except the train is full of dumpsters actively burning. 

You want to avoid looking at it but you click anyway just so you aren't missing out. Then you are pissed when it's something about the Nationals closer of the week. 

yeah this is one of the better threads. middle relievers 4 eva

meanwhile, 

gregerson seems to be kind of a hot mess right now, and gave up 3 runs in a game the astros were already trailing today. peacock, sipp and feliz also appearing

you know what this means... hashtag hoyt holds

(i'm kidding, but i also kind of mean it)

this is why the hold is such a bull**** stat.  ottavino loads the bases after recording one out, gets yanked, mcgee lets up one of the inherited runners, but gets out of the jam.

so stupid.  and im an ottavino owner.

8 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

this is why the hold is such a bull**** stat.  ottavino loads the bases after recording one out, gets yanked, mcgee lets up one of the inherited runners, but gets out of the jam.

Lol I guess it's difficult to "abolish" statistics. Once they're in the public consciousness, they're there.

2 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/6/6/2208665/the-absurdirty-of-the-hold-statistic

Dropped Leclerc or however you spell it, Texas is not using him, you're right wily mo, he is probably hurt.

Bradley hasn't been used in a while--they used Delgado in long relief today. Is Bradley no longer the long man? He was (is?) shaping up as Devenski-lite.

8 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Bradley hasn't been used in a while--they used Delgado in long relief today. Is Bradley no longer the long man? He was (is?) shaping up as Devenski-lite.

Sounds like the Diamondbacks don't even know what they are going to do with Bradley. Might be preserving him to start?

20 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Sounds like the Diamondbacks don't even know what they are going to do with Bradley. Might be preserving him to start?

It's only been 3 games since he's been used.  They have been using him when they are up so the only other opportunity to use him was during their 6-3 win in which he wasn't required.   Of course my feeling was that he was being held back in case Rodney couldn't close out that game.  This sort of freaks out some people...

Edited by knuckleheads

3 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

It's only been 3 games since he's been used.  They have been using him when they are up so the only other opportunity to use him was during their 6-3 win in which he wasn't required.     

I understand that, but I'm just saying I've been hearing and reading conflicting reports on where they will ultimately use him this season. However, saying they are preserving him for a start is just speculation on my part.

14 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I understand that, but I'm just saying I've been hearing and reading conflicting reports on where they will ultimately use him this season. However, saying they are preserving him for a start is just speculation on my part.

well they haven't been stretching him out lately in his appearances.   Just the opposite in fact.  If a rotation spot was in order any time soon they would have done something by now imo.  I think you'll see him in an outing where he goes a couple of innings or more this weekend.  Too bad it'll be in Colorado though...

Peacock worth holding? He's hit a rough patch lately. Wishing I grabbed Derek Law when I had the chance.

Any eye reports on Whitley, he could be very usefull.

On 5/5/2017 at 8:19 PM, remark900 said:

Anything to see with Enny Romero?

he throws hard, and the nats bullpen is approaching a pure and perfect state of bullpen chaos, but enny's performance history is pretty uniformly bad. just doesn't appear to have any command. the raw talent is there, and any relief pitcher can suddenly become good at any time, but there's no particular reason to think he will

alert

HOYT HOLD

hoyt got a hold

also struck out the side

that's 13 Ks vs 4 baserunners in 5.2 innings since his callup

already had a higher K% than kahnle, higher than anybody with more than 2.2 innings. and that was coming into today

and getting a hold has to be a hint that he's starting to creep up the pecking order

i'd probably drop wandy for him, that's how much i like him. good to have both, though, if possible

Edited by wily mo

40 minutes ago, wily mo said:

alert

HOYT HOLD

hoyt got a hold

also struck out the side

that's 13 Ks vs 4 baserunners in 5.2 innings since his callup

already had a higher K% than kahnle, higher than anybody with more than 2.2 innings. and that was coming into today

and getting a hold has to be a hint that he's starting to creep up the pecking order

i'd probably drop wandy for him, that's how much i like him. good to have both, though, if possible

I guess this doesn't help Gregersens exile to Siberia.

I see there has been some talk about Knebel. I haven't seen him pitch, so I'm looking for more. The results are tough to argue, especially in holds leagues. He struck out the side to become the second reliever to reach 10 holds this season and his other numbers are excellent. Just wondering if he's the real deal. 

Hoyt looks amazing. I can't see him being used more than his current usage though unfortunately. Hard to see him throw as regularly as Harris or Gregerson

On 5/3/2017 at 11:51 AM, placeholder said:

Might be a sneaky add before his name blows up.

Rays recalled LHP Jose Alvarado from Double-A Montgomery.

Alvarado is only 21 years old and began the 2016 season in Low-A ball, but he's managed to shoot through the Rays' farm system since converting full time to relief and could prove to a big bullpen weapon for Tampa Bay this year. Alvarado was sporting a 2.38 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, and 14/5 K/BB ratio through 11 1/3 innings this season at the Double-A level.

On 5/3/2017 at 11:58 AM, wily mo said:

yeah i'm not really sure why the frontpage blurb crew has decided to hype this one particular reliever callup. his numbers aren't even that outlandishly good for a minor league reliever. a little over a K per inning... literally every RP prospect worth even talking about does that. he walks a lot of guys. and he's lefthanded, which is fine but not the ideal arm configuration for saves

last year in a larger sample in high-A he had an ERA pushing 4 and a meh 24% K rate. still with the walks. a 1.65 WHIP

we'll see what he does in the majors but i am unexcite

ok we're getting some data on this dude now and, i think i see where the hype was coming from... he throws crazy hard. like, top 10 in the majors hard, purely on raw fastball velo, by the fangraphs numbers

2017 FBv no IP minimum

1. aroldis 99.4

2. rosenthal 99

3. ariel hernandez 98.8

4. joe kelly 98.6 ... good old joe "body temperature" kelly

5. thor 98.2 gone but not forgotten

6. kahnle 98 

7. kimbrel 98

8. betances 97.9

9. this alvarado dude 97.8

10. enny romero 97.7

they could have mentioned this in the blurb. maybe it wasn't clear yet

him winding up right next to enny is pretty apt, since enny is another dude i've been kinda crapping on over on the closer thread and it's a fairly similar deal - lefthanded, throws wicked hard, ... ... ... ... not a lot else 

(notice those are the two hardest lefty fastballs in the majors after aroldis) 

guys with these big fastballs are always tempting just because you can't help thinking, man, if it suddenly clicks for him... yeah. and sometimes it even does happen. but then there's joe kelly on the list, to remind you

and yeah, as far as alvarado - for all that velo, so far - in only 2 innings, granted - he's only got a 7.4% whiff rate, with no Ks, and gave up three runs somehow. at least there weren't any homers or walks, and he's got a 75% GB rate, which, i now notice, isn't that far off from where he kept it in the minors. so that's actually kinda interesting

he's definitely a name to know and keep an eye on, but i can't see adding him yet unless you're in a league that's so deep you can't even really describe it to people

Trying to get away with some bats streaming, hoping he'll be there for a Tuesday grab, since he is not making much noise yet, If wily mo could just keep quiet! just kidding! Thanks to wily mo my middle relief has been nice with Wandy and Kahnle!

Dunno if he's been mentioned, but Wade LeBlanc is doin things for the Pirates

If you combine him with Felipe Rivero, you could get some nice ratios and k's