mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

On 5/5/2017 at 5:05 AM, wily mo said:

yeah this is one of the better threads. middle relievers 4 eva

meanwhile, 

gregerson seems to be kind of a hot mess right now, and gave up 3 runs in a game the astros were already trailing today. peacock, sipp and feliz also appearing

you know what this means... hashtag hoyt holds

(i'm kidding, but i also kind of mean it)

I owe you just for being the first to mention this guy.  He looks legit and I'll be watching his usage very closely going forward. Astros' bullpen depth (plus my own stacked reliever core) has me hesitant to make a move at this point but I think talent always wins out in the long run so I can see some appeal here.  I've never been a Gregerson supporter and see a possible weak link there.     

He's already 30 though and seems kind of out of no where.  What's his story and why did it take so long for him to make it?  His minor league numbers look impressive although the walks are higher than what you would normally feel safe with.  However, he's shown an ability to save games in the minors already and has a very good k/9 inning rate.   His combined WHIP the last two years in the minors and majors is well below 1.00 too.  

28 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I owe you just for being the first to mention this guy.  He looks legit and I'll be watching his usage very closely going forward. Astros' bullpen depth (plus my own stacked reliever core) has me hesitant to make a move at this point but I think talent always wins out in the long run so I can see some appeal here.  I've never been a Gregerson supporter and see a possible weak link there.     

He's already 30 though and seems kind of out of no where.  What's his story and why did it take so long for him to make it?  His minor league numbers look impressive although the walks are higher than what you would normally feel safe with.  However, he's shown an ability to save games in the minors already and has a very good k/9 inning rate.   His combined WHIP the last two years in the minors and majors is well below 1.00 too.  

btw I've done some research on him so not seeking a response to this...

Is Jacob Barnes out of the dog house? He's had 2 good appearances in a row now after that tough stretch...

Edited by remark900

i like how both the sullivan wandy post and the reddit hoyt post are framed in terms of "here's a guy you've never heard of"

i'm sitting here like, hah, internet post headline you clearly don't know who you're talking to

what happend to ottavino? Seems to be giving up a lot of walks in the last 2 outings , and blowing the hold

I've always been a Shane Greene sympathizer. His raw stuff is dynamic. He's off to a pretty good start this year. I'm in again...maybe.

18 hours ago, remark900 said:

Is Jacob Barnes out of the dog house? He's had 2 good appearances in a row now after that tough stretch...

Probably, but Knebel is clearly ahead of him at the moment, so he would need Knebel to falter.

8 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I've always been a Shane Greene sympathizer. His raw stuff is dynamic. He's off to a pretty good start this year. I'm in again...maybe.

He really mucked it up for me last year.  Picked him up over the last 2 months for holds from the SP slot but was consistently getting roughed up.  His whip this year is very high still and that's what I am looking at right now.  Having said that if he gets the first save opportunity I will have to be on him.   

What are people doing that are about to "lose" Justin Wilson (aka Mr. MR Dominance) to becoming an inevitable closer? 

Flipping coins between Hoyt and someone who dropped Anthony Swarzak.

Has Anthony Swarzak been bat lately?

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Flipping coins between Hoyt and someone who dropped Anthony Swarzak.

Has Anthony Swarzak been bat lately?

Both good or ratios, neither for holds though......

Yeah, I do not see them getting many holds and the Astros pen is too deep to see consistent use. I may be wrong.

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Yeah, I do not see them getting many holds and the Astros pen is too deep to see consistent use. I may be wrong.

Agreed. Hoyt will get holds, but he will have to contend with Will Harris, Gregerson, Devenski, Michael Feliz, Peacock...

imo both swarzak and hoyt are in situations where they might be right on the brink of starting to get holds, at least temporarily

hoyt : gregerson has been dicey and seems like he's been temporarily demoted, so hoyt may be acting 7th inning guy. i think he's ahead of guys like peacock (has anyone even seen peacock? is he ok?) and feliz at this point. devenski just shows up whenever devenski shows up; he operates kind of separately from the rest of their bullpen system, whenever it's getting to be his time to pitch

swarzak : with jones on the DL, feels like kahnle takes the 8th and swarzak the 7th. has this theory been tested yet? not sure

Why isn't wandy getting used in holds situations? I just read through the last 4 pages to catch up and you would think he was the second coming, gets a lot of love here, and his numbers back it up, but seems they only use him when there down 6 or 7 runs...

also props for the Hoyt love, and to whoever mentioned Jarlin Garcia, I'm always looking for a solid reliever who has that SP tag.

8 minutes ago, Jrod124 said:

Why isn't wandy getting used in holds situations? I just read through the last 4 pages to catch up and you would think he was the second coming, gets a lot of love here, and his numbers back it up, but seems they only use him when there down 6 or 7 runs...

well, the reds are down 6 or 7 runs a lot lately. by my back of the envelope calculations, the entire team has 1 hold over the past 2 weeks. lorenzen was the lucky guy

i think wandy will get in there soon if they start generating the opps

8 minutes ago, wily mo said:

well, the reds are down 6 or 7 runs a lot lately. by my back of the envelope calculations, the entire team has 1 hold over the past 2 weeks. lorenzen was the lucky guy

i think wandy will get in there soon if they start generating the opps

Touché 

Just now, Jrod124 said:

Touché 

oh i don't mean it as like a comeback to what you're saying, it's normal to look at a guy's numbers and say "where are the holds"... i have to remind myself half the time, you get a better idea what's going on if you check the whole team and see if anybody's getting them. it's hard to keep up with all 30 teams at once

15 minutes ago, wily mo said:

oh i don't mean it as like a comeback to what you're saying, it's normal to look at a guy's numbers and say "where are the holds"... i have to remind myself half the time, you get a better idea what's going on if you check the whole team and see if anybody's getting them. it's hard to keep up with all 30 teams at once

I should have said "well said" I liked your response to mine, was exactly what I was looking for!

new watch list name - nick goody, CLE

he's not in the kahnle / wandy / swarzak / hoyt tier, his stuff isn't very hardcore (91.5 fastball velo) and he's buried in a deep pen behind allen / miller / a bunch of other guys

but his results are really good. no runs yet, 0.64 whip, 30+ K%, good swstr (13+). tiny AAA sample this year was even better, high minors numbers all awesome going back 2 years. i haven't looked up how he does it yet but generating those numbers with that velo i assume he's got a nice secondary pitch of some kind, possibly two