mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

Recommended Posts

for my SP/RP lovers out there

 

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/milb/durham-bulls/article149564384.html

 

Keep an eye out for Chih-wei Hu's call up...I'm not sure he's completely finished as a SP prospect, but there's no denying that his stuff can play up in the pen. He was one of my favorite pitchers in last year's futures game. Absolutely think he will be legit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hansel Robles anyone? Quietly putting together a nice season - 19IP 20K's 6 Holds and pretty good peripherals. Fastball reaches mid 90's and all of his pitches have seen an uptick in velocity thus far.

 

Seems to be the man behind Reed but could be useful in holds leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Hansel Robles anyone? Quietly putting together a nice season - 19IP 20K's 6 Holds and pretty good peripherals. Fastball reaches mid 90's and all of his pitches have seen an uptick in velocity thus far.

 

Seems to be the man behind Reed but could be useful in holds leagues.

 

He is OK, wouldn't be my first choice depending on what else is available on the wire. He hasn't been as dominant as a 1.42 ERA would indicate. He is benefiting from a .217 BABIP and a 92.6% LOB. He is also walking a fine line (no pun intended) with over 4 BB/9. His FIP is 3.50 and xFIP 3.96. So he is still a decent reliever but not truly elite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How bout that CHW pen? Before the year Todd Jones was the man to watch. Now they have Swarzak and Kahnle. If DRob is traded it's probably gonna be one of those two. (I guess unless TJ comes back and dominates)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Hansel Robles anyone? Quietly putting together a nice season - 19IP 20K's 6 Holds and pretty good peripherals. Fastball reaches mid 90's and all of his pitches have seen an uptick in velocity thus far.

 

Seems to be the man behind Reed but could be useful in holds leagues.

 

Especially with Familia now out for awhile 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

How bout that CHW pen? Before the year Todd Jones was the man to watch. Now they have Swarzak and Kahnle. If DRob is traded it's probably gonna be one of those two. (I guess unless TJ comes back and dominates)

 

nate jones. you're thinking of rod beck

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wily mo said:

 

nate jones. you're thinking of rod beck

 

 

or possibly the Undertaker, Doug Jones

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thoughts on Wade LeBlanc as an SP/RP ratio booster? He has 21.2 IP this year. Not great K/9 but I'm considering taking him over Brad Peacock just because his ERA/WHIP will have a larger impact on roto stats than Peacock. Is he just getting lucky or is it skill, that's my main Q. Peacock seems to have the higher upside with his K-BB, but he isn't getting many appearances, which is a pretty larger driver in value for these ratio-booster types.

 


His low ERA and WHIP seem to be anchored by a 53% GB rate (way up from his 36% career avg), and a corresponding 18% hard hit rate (compared to 27% career average). He must be doing something differently to have changed so much.

Edited by Joesh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Felipe Rivera been pitching the eighth?  Sorry if this has been discussed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joesh said:

Thoughts on Wade LeBlanc as an SP/RP ratio booster? He has 21.2 IP this year. Not great K/9 but I'm considering taking him over Brad Peacock just because his ERA/WHIP will have a larger impact on roto stats than Peacock. Is he just getting lucky or is it skill, that's my main Q. Peacock seems to have the higher upside with his K-BB, but he isn't getting many appearances, which is a pretty larger driver in value for these ratio-booster types.

 


His low ERA and WHIP seem to be anchored by a 53% GB rate (way up from his 36% career avg), and a corresponding 18% hard hit rate (compared to 27% career average). He must be doing something differently to have changed so much.

As a rule of thumb, I refuse to roster RP with sitting fastball velo in the 80s.

 

Maybe LeBlanc can make it work but I just feel like those kind of guys are a ticking time bomb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wily mo said:

 

nate jones. you're thinking of rod beck

 

 

Yeah of course you're right. Todd Jones lol.

 

Crazy work week. Losing my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the deal with CJ Edwards? He seems to have pretty dominant ratios and just gave up his first run the other day. He has over a 12 k/9 but only 2 holds. Worth rostering in a holds league? Don't see why he doesn't pitch in higher leverage situations. If my memory is correct he bailed out chapman to win game 7 of the World Series last year. Seems to warrant enough trust from me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, Csiebert5 said:

What's the deal with CJ Edwards? He seems to have pretty dominant ratios and just gave up his first run the other day. He has over a 12 k/9 but only 2 holds. Worth rostering in a holds league? Don't see why he doesn't pitch in higher leverage situations. If my memory is correct he bailed out chapman to win game 7 of the World Series last year. Seems to warrant enough trust from me!

 

He has a lot of competition for holds in that Bullpen. Seems like Maddon prefers to use veterans like Strop, Uehara and Rendon ahead of him. I do believe Edwards is the best of that bunch, so we just have to hope the talent rises to the top over time. If you need holds now, you have to look elsewhere, but it would be a good idea to keep an eye on Edwards and how he is being used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edwards has been fantastic. His H/9 of 3.1 is insane and his HR/9 of 0.6 is also fantastic. His O-Swing% and Z-Swing% have been pretty average, but his SwStr% is very high at 14.8%. Excellent stuff.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

As a rule of thumb, I refuse to roster RP with sitting fastball velo in the 80s.

 

Maybe LeBlanc can make it work but I just feel like those kind of guys are a ticking time bomb.

 

Good point. What do you think of David Phelps then for SP/RP? I drafted him alongside Devenski and had to cut Phelps early on, but he looks like he may be turning it around. GB% is coming back up and so is SwStr% - maybe he was just slow out the gate? Marlins certainly like to use him a lot, he should get 80+ IP, I don't think Peacock gets to even 70 at this current usage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liam Hendriks is widely available in my leagues and he seems to have turned his season around after a dreadful start. I kept falling for him last year and regretting it, but I'm rolling the dice on him again and hoping it breaks right. 

 

He's benefitting from a .256 BABIP but his 9.19 K/9, 1.74 FIP, and 2.81 xFIP sound good to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Strahm is a guy that should be watched closely. He has been much better after being recalled compared to his horrendous start. High upside guy and their top ranked prospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also Cishek is very close to returning for the Mariners after being injured to begin the year. He was very good last year and seems to be widely available in most leagues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fellow MR people, I need your help understanding a scoring/stat issue that come up in my league. 

 

Last night Tyler Duffey came into the game in the 5th inning of a 7-5 game with a runner on first base. He retired the next batter to end the 5th. He then allowed a solo homer and a single to start off the 6th, and was lifted from the game with the score 7-6. 

 

Isn't this a hold? I know it wasn't a pretty performance, but he entered with the tying run at the plate and exited with the lead intact. It's just a single hold but I hate when I can't figure out the ruling. The only thing I could think is that you can't get a hold that early in the game (5th inning) but that would be news to me and I haven't found that in any of the official definitions of the stat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^

I believe the "before 5th inning" is accurate as the SP doesn't qualify for a W and the RP doesn't qualify for a H

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Also Cishek is very close to returning for the Mariners after being injured to begin the year. He was very good last year and seems to be widely available in most leagues

He was good last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jb_power said:

^

I believe the "before 5th inning" is accurate as the SP doesn't qualify for a W and the RP doesn't qualify for a H

 

 

I can buy that, but I do find it odd that there is no reference to what inning a save or hold can first be recorded in the definition of either holds or saves. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mjb03003 said:

 

I can buy that, but I do find it odd that there is no reference to what inning a save or hold can first be recorded in the definition of either holds or saves. 

 

 

It was not a save situation (which is required for a hold)  because he was the winning pitcher of record at the time. Now, he didn't end up with the win, because that is assigned by the official scorer when the starter does not go 5 innings and has a lead that lasts til the end.

 

Save Situation:

Relief Pitcher is in a Save Situation when upon entering the game with his club leading, he has the opportunity to be the finishing pitcher (and is not the winning pitcher of record at the time), and meets any one of the three following conditions:

  1. -he has a lead of no more than three runs and has the opportunity to pitch for at least one inning, or
  2. -he enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or
  3. -he pitches three or more innings regardless of the lead and the official scorer credits him with a save.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...