mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

8 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

It was not a save situation (which is required for a hold)  because he was the winning pitcher of record at the time. Now, he didn't end up with the win, because that is assigned by the official scorer when the starter does not go 5 innings and has a lead that lasts til the end.

Save Situation:

Relief Pitcher is in a Save Situation when upon entering the game with his club leading, he has the opportunity to be the finishing pitcher (and is not the winning pitcher of record at the time), and meets any one of the three following conditions:

1. -he has a lead of no more than three runs and has the opportunity to pitch for at least one inning, or
  2. -he enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or
  3. -he pitches three or more innings regardless of the lead and the official scorer credits him with a save.

Thank you sir!

I guess even though he didn't remain the pitcher of record, he doesn't become eligible for a hold after the fact?

(I couldn't care less, but guy in my league is whining)

Edited by mjb03003

36 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

It was not a save situation (which is required for a hold)  because he was the winning pitcher of record at the time. Now, he didn't end up with the win, because that is assigned by the official scorer when the starter does not go 5 innings and has a lead that lasts til the end.

Save Situation:

Relief Pitcher is in a Save Situation when upon entering the game with his club leading, he has the opportunity to be the finishing pitcher (and is not the winning pitcher of record at the time), and meets any one of the three following conditions:

1. -he has a lead of no more than three runs and has the opportunity to pitch for at least one inning, or
  2. -he enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or
  3. -he pitches three or more innings regardless of the lead and the official scorer credits him with a save.

you are obviously correct, but..

what an odd way to determine who gets a "stat" and who doesn't. the winning pitcher is determined [somewhat arbitrarily] after the game has ended (or when it ends) by the official scorer, but this particular stat is determined during the middle of the game based off of the possibility that the winning pitcher is assigned to the current pitcher.

I'm all for the GOOSE EGG!

Make it official!!

Edited by Csiebert5

5 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

you are obviously correct, but..

what an odd way to determine who gets a "stat" and who doesn't. the winning pitcher is determined [somewhat arbitrarily] after the game has ended (or when it ends) by the official scorer, but this particular stat is determined during the middle of the game based off of the possibility that the winning pitcher is assigned to the current pitcher.

You hit the nail on the head. I would think this exact situation doesn't happen often, thankfully. It's only us in holds leagues that care about the fact that he didn't get a hold.

Any love for Ryan Tepera? Seems to be getting used a lot by TOR and putting up some good numbers lately...

getting to be about time for another state of middle relief roundup type post... maybe over the weekend

hoyt gave up a run tonight. i'm outraged. but it was just 3 dumb ground ball singles and he also struck out the side

that alvarado guy in tampa, the hard thrower with the blurb hype, has settled in after the rough first outing where he gave up 3 runs - since then, 4 innings with only 1 hit and no walks. only one strikeout also. i assume he's getting a bunch of grounders. but there might actually be something there. not a sexy 15 K/9 something, which is usually what we want on this thread. but, something.

14 hours ago, cad300 said:

He was good last year?

2.82 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 10.69 K/9. Overall he was pretty darn good.

With the state of that Mariner pen, he should see pretty much every 8th inning hold opportunity.

8 minutes ago, GratefulPhan said:

What happened to Kyle Barraclough? -_-

Seriously.... I actually drafted him due to his monster strikeout numbers. The problem is his walk rate which was already high last season is out of control this season. Also his swinging strike is down from last season. Plus it looks like he is behind Zeigler in the depth chart.

11 hours ago, remark900 said:

Any love for Ryan Tepera? Seems to be getting used a lot by TOR and putting up some good numbers lately...

As a Jays fan, I cringe every time he comes in. His heavy usage is more an indictment of how bad the Jays' bullpen is currently (especially with Biagini starting now) than him being good. 

He hasn't been getting blown up lately at the same rate he had been, but he's far from the elite RP that most of the others mentioned in this thread have been. 

He started the year in mop up duty during blowouts, and through attrition has become somewhat of a 7th inning type guy when the rest of the bullpen needs rest. In any event I'd stay away - his stuff is nothing special, and it's just a matter of time until he gets blown up.

This coming from someone that watches almost all of his appearances and really hopes for his growth and success out of necessity. 

3 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

As a Jays fan, I cringe every time he comes in. His heavy usage is more an indictment of how bad the Jays' bullpen is currently (especially with Biagini starting now) than him being good. 

He hasn't been getting blown up lately at the same rate he had been, but he's far from the elite RP that most of the others mentioned in this thread have been. 

He started the year in mop up duty during blowouts, and through attrition has become somewhat of a 7th inning type guy when the rest of the bullpen needs rest. In any event I'd stay away - his stuff is nothing special, and it's just a matter of time until he gets blown up.

This coming from someone that watches almost all of his appearances and really hopes for his growth and success out of necessity. 

I love RW forums because of posts like this!  Great to hear from posters who share their knowledge of players first-hand as opposed to chasing box scores.  Good stuff.

Hoyt has been used every 5 days without fail. He doesn't seem to get enough games to be relevant...but it's almost like they want him to start one day 

With DH Sunday he should break that pattern.

Edited by Pap

Kahnle pitches clean 7th inning with 1-run lead hold situation with 2 K's. Comes back out for the 8th inning, gets 1st out on flyout, then gives up solo HR to Wil Myers for blown save. Pitch was low and inside in the strikezone at 98.2 MPH. Then he gets taken out.

Edited by lassetjus

Robles had a rough Sat outing. 4 ER.

Hand had a couple of rough outings in a row but appears to have righted the ship in his last few appearances.

Edit: evidently I jinxed him...

Edited by Ace_King

14 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Hoyt has been used every 5 days without fail. He doesn't seem to get enough games to be relevant...but it's almost like they want him to start one day 

Hoyt has been amazing and I think he's might get a few save opportunities here and there this year.  I think they'll use him a lot to close out games that are not save situations as he has experience finishing out games.  

I would love to add him but the holds just aren't there yet.  He's in kind of in an odd situation in which could leap to the closer's role if something happened to Giles without ever being the regular 7th or 8th inning guy.    In a save/holds league that's probably not a bad thing as he would be scooped up immediately if he were holding down those key 7th and 8th innings.  Keeps him under the radar for now...    

Edited by knuckleheads

Haven't been able to watch any Royals games... what's the deal with Matt Strahm since coming back up? Is he 7th/8th inning guy again? Numbers look good but only 1 HLD in two weeks. Thinking he could be a sneaky add with potential to close (or set up) if/when Herrera is traded.

9 hours ago, Snowblind said:

Haven't been able to watch any Royals games... what's the deal with Matt Strahm since coming back up? Is he 7th/8th inning guy again? Numbers look good but only 1 HLD in two weeks. Thinking he could be a sneaky add with potential to close (or set up) if/when Herrera is traded.

Add him... cream rises to the top.  His stuff looks electric and he seems to be getting more high leverage situations over the past week.

18 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Hoyt has been amazing and I think he's might get a few save opportunities here and there this year.  I think they'll use him a lot to close out games that are not save situations as he has experience finishing out games.  

I would love to add him but the holds just aren't there yet.  He's in kind of in an odd situation in which could leap to the closer's role if something happened to Giles without ever being the regular 7th or 8th inning guy.    In a save/holds league that's probably not a bad thing as he would be scooped up immediately if he were holding down those key 7th and 8th innings.  Keeps him under the radar for now...    

After today this guys presence really affects Devenskis future value in a non holds league.

On 5/13/2017 at 9:33 AM, handyandy86 said:

I respect your analysis but I watched him against my Indians and he looked good plus he's being used quite a bit lately so I'm going to take a flier on him and see what happens

21 minutes ago, remark900 said:

I respect your analysis but I watched him against my Indians and he looked good plus he's being used quite a bit lately so I'm going to take a flier on him and see what happens

Good luck, you will need it, from another Blue Jays fan