mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

Is there anyone that has watched Mike Minor pitch? Was looking into Strahm and Stumbled upon him. He's a former first round pick (7th overall by Atlanta in 2009) that had his career sidelined by injuries. He seems intriguing.

Anyways, if any Royals fans could shed some light on where he stands in the bullpen hierarchy that would be great.

Here's an article I found on him: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2017/5/13/15634498/mike-minor-royals-reliever-breakout-spin-rate-statcast

Edited by Dirtywater97

white sox aren't doing much to help kahnle and swarzak make it happen in holds leagues while n8 jones is on the DL. nobody on the team has gotten a save or hold in over two weeks 

1 hour ago, wily mo said:

white sox aren't doing much to help kahnle and swarzak make it happen in holds leagues while n8 jones is on the DL. nobody on the team has gotten a save or hold in over two weeks 

also, kahnle showing some cracks here. that's homers in back-to-back appearances now. wonder if swarzak can sneak past him in the hierarchy. i wouldn't ordinarily get on kahnle's case for such a small rough patch but swarzak has just been so good

of course if the white sox never generate another hold we may never know

20 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Is there anyone that has watched Mike Minor pitch? Was looking into Strahm and Stumbled upon him. He's a former first round pick (7th overall by Atlanta in 2009) that had his career sidelined by injuries. He seems intriguing.

Anyways, if any Royals fans could shed some light on where he stands in the bullpen hierarchy that would be great.

Here's an article I found on him: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2017/5/13/15634498/mike-minor-royals-reliever-breakout-spin-rate-statcast

I will have to read this because I added him for JDLR (who got a win today) yesterday as I think he could be a good holds guy with better era and whip ratio from the sp spot.  He also has been getting more multi innings to go along with the holds which is something I enjoy...

Edited by knuckleheads

22 hours ago, remark900 said:

I respect your analysis but I watched him against my Indians and he looked good plus he's being used quite a bit lately so I'm going to take a flier on him and see what happens

Good luck, I do hope he keeps up with the good results, but I really have my doubts.  He's been up a few times over the last couple years and looked bad every time.  He's essentially just a FB (95ish) and cutter (90ish) pitcher, although he does throw a sinker variation of his FB sometimes.  Overall he just doesn't have enough to fool hitters it seems.  His FB has decent velocity but nothing earth-shattering, and his cutter isn't a large enough velocity difference to really throw hitters off.  

He has been getting a lot of usage with SPs not going deep into games, and Gibbons having a lack of decent options, especially RHP.  Osuna is 9th, Joe Smith is 8th, but after those guys it's been a nightmare.  Grilli hasn't been good at all, and seems to always be good for a few baserunners.  After him you drop down to the Tepera / Danny Barnes / Dominic Leone tier of AAA roulette.  The one fantasy plus with Tepera is it seems like Gibbons doesn't mind throwing him out there for multiple innings if he's relatively effective, likely because he isn't too concerned if his arm falls off or not. 

Also just wanted to point out that after a good start and some higher leverage use, Hansel Robles has been completely annihilated his last two outings for 9 ER over 1.2 IP, and a WHIP of 6.00 (lol).  Abandon ship!

Is Felipe Rivero still unavailable? Was on the shelf on Sunday, and with yesterdays day off, wondering if maybe he'll get on the mound tonight. There's no update on him as far as I can tell.

I expect James Hoyt to see a lot of hold opportunities...after Devenski, he's their next best non closing reliever. Elite K ratios. 1% owned in yahoo

19 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Also just wanted to point out that after a good start and some higher leverage use, Hansel Robles has been completely annihilated his last two outings for 9 ER over 1.2 IP, and a WHIP of 6.00 (lol).  Abandon ship!

That's Robles in a nutshell. He will dazzle and make you wonder if he finally has it together and then he reminds you that he doesn't.

ok i'm kinda starting to come around to actual excitement about jose alvarado in tampa

since his rough first outing, which you can totally forgive, he's allowed 2 baserunners in 6+ innings. between the majors and the minors this year he has like a 75% GB rate. his walk rates in the minors have been dicey but he hasn't walked anybody in the majors yet. and he still throws, like, really hard

he's not getting any Ks yet but his swstr% is almost 14% which is great, it's just not translating to Ks yet for whatever reason. but he got enough of them in the minors. not a staggering amount but enough

and he's gotten a couple holds already

i'm gonna go ahead and say maybe pick him up. especially in keepers where relievers matter, i think. he's probably not going to either become a K monster or get saves this year, but long term, who knows what could happen

David Phelps may be entering starting rotation now in Miami. Remember they did that at the end of last year and he was pretty darn good. Wasn't stretched out enough obviously but he could be a pretty nice pickup if he does end up in rotation! Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Grabbed Edwards as soon as he got his hold. Rondon came on in the 6th and Edwards the 8th.  It's about time he started pitching in high leverage situations.

is Taylor Rogers a thing?  a ton of holds but I know nothing about him....

3 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Nick Goody up to 13.2 IP with no ER and a .80 WHIP. Is he legit?

he's not a big stuff guy but he's been consistently effective in the high minors for a couple years now, and now this year in the majors after a little bit of a rough debut with the yankees last year. i did a post on him a few pages back, i need to really watch him or at least google him to see what he throws at some point. so far i've been going entirely off numbers with him

ok let me do that, it barely takes any time just to at least google him... ok... looks like he's... fastball/slider. groundbreaking!

problem is i'm actually having a hard time imagining a use for him since he has a really rough path to holds, let alone saves, on the indians, he's never going to be one of those massive 15 K/9 guys, and without a big fastball he's probably always going to have less margin for error. so, in almost every imaginable league and scenario there's probably a better RP you can pick up. there's just so many of them. so maybe there's no point to bringing him up. but based on the track record he does appear to be a good pitcher. if that's useful

Thanks that is helpful! I am looking to help with ratios and he is intriguing by Swarzak, Peralta, Hand, Rivero, Edwards are all out there and I picked up Bradley due to the adding closer potential. I will keep an eye on Goody, though.

5 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Thanks that is helpful! I am looking to help with ratios and he is intriguing by Swarzak, Peralta, Hand, Rivero, Edwards are all out there and I picked up Bradley due to the adding closer potential. I will keep an eye on Goody, though.

yeah, see, i'd grab literally all of those guys long before goody, easily

that's the beauty of, and also the problem with, middle relievers: there are a lot of them

in, like a deep AL-only league where every pitcher who doesn't constantly get bombed is valuable, i think goody could be a great option. but that's kind of what it takes at this point i think

EDIT: deeper AL-only bullpen heat #hanigerThread

Edited by wily mo

Anyone with any insights as to why Archie Bradley's usage has been so low lately? 

9 hours ago, FUM said:

Grabbed Edwards as soon as he got his hold. Rondon came on in the 6th and Edwards the 8th.  It's about time he started pitching in high leverage situations.

Edwards with his 2nd straight 8th inning hold. Looks like he is the man now in Chicago. Strop pitched before him. Koji and Rendon pitched before him yesterday.

In my holds league, I picked him up based on this latest usage. Had to drop an excellent Wandy Peralta, but Peralta hasn't been getting the holds, and I need holds.

15 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

There goes Swarzaks prestine ratios 

well, at least it was trout. that's respectable

5 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Anything to see with Arizona's Andrew Chafin or just SSS smoke and mirrors? 17K:1BB over last 10 IP with a .80 WHIP...

FIP and xFIP don't think it's smoke and mirrors. His BABIP is a reasonable .290. Generating ground balls at 62.5%. Contact metrics are pretty good but probably not as good as 17K in 10 IP. Hitters are actually making more contact off him than last season. IMO, if he can maintain the elite control, then he can sustain this success.