mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

19 hours ago, midlip said:

is Taylor Rogers a thing?  a ton of holds but I know nothing about him....

this guy has 10 holds and we just dont care? 

Man, Felipe Rivero is just straight filthy. Multiple 100 mph fastballs from the left side to strike out Harper with runners on the corners. I bet the Nationals feel real dumb they let him get away.

updated occasional swstr% report

this week's utterly arbitrary IP minimum is... 8

1. kimbrel 23.7

2. leclerc 22.4

3. devenski 21.1

4. wandy 20.5

5. hoyt 20.4

6. JDLR 19.8

6. swarzak 19.8

8. putnam 19.4 RIP

9. ol' reliable kenley jansen 18.1

10. boone logan 17.8

11. betances 17.7

12. kiiiiirby yates 17.5

13. roberto osuna 17.5

14. mike feliz 17

14. clippard 17

16. cody allen 16.8

17. kahnle 16.7

notes:

wandy and hoyt still keeping it real

leclerc is currently injured and has kinda bad control, but he's still way up there

i wouldn't rage drop swarzak because of last night. the guy who got him was someone called (checks notes) "mike trout", and it's rough, not to mention kinda paradoxical, to get burned by a fish, but, the pitch wasn't even awful - it was down and broke farther down, like it was generally supposed to do. judging by the catcher's target it was supposed to be away and swarzak missed inside, but it wasn't piped down the middle or anything. trout just golfed it. swarzak made an imperfect pitch to a nearly perfect hitter. these things happen

(here's the video of it: http://m.mlb.com/video/v1400694283/trout-sacude-su-13er-vuelacercas-de-la-temporada/ )

K% update

1. hoyt 56.3

2. kimbrel 53.9

3. jansen 50.0, nice and even

4. kahnle 49.1

5. devenski 46.8

6. justin wilson 45.5

7. rosenthal 44.3

8. knebel 42.7

9. betances 42.3

10. cody allen 41.2

11. wandy 38.3

11. leclerc 38.3

13. CJ edwards 37.5

14. zorro mcallister 37.3

15. aroldis 36.8 RIP

16. greg holland 36.5

17. andrew chafin 36.4

18. archie bradley 36

19. blake parker 35.9

lotta closers here, and notice how, if you look at the 7 guys in the top 10 who didn't start the season as closers, three of them have become closers since then (wilson, knebel and betances). all because their closer got hurt or failed, of course, but still. the conversion rate isn't bad

Edited by wily mo

On 5/12/2017 at 10:28 PM, wily mo said:

getting to be about time for another state of middle relief roundup type post... maybe over the weekend

Pretty please?

EDIT: Damn...literally right below your roundup post. Shame on me for not checking..

Edited by WatchMeWHIP
dumbass

27 minutes ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

Pretty please?

EDIT: Damn...literally right below your roundup post. Shame on me for not checking..

hehe. i do have a second phase i might do tomorrow, more of a "current tiers of obscure middle relief guys" kinda thing

chad green ? think he has 11ks in 7.8 since being recalled from triple A

Who would have guessed this.... Wily Peralta... the banished starter, pitches the 7th and 8th with a 3 run lead and gets 5 Strikeouts and 1 walk. New multi inning stud SP eligible holds guy?

oh wandy. wandy. why

but yeah this is looking like a day of unexpected results from the nation's w peraltas

ryne stanek, rays. 99.3 avg velo. 11 Ks, no walks in 4.1 innings in may in AAA. so far in the majors 2 outs, 2 holds

more details later

17 minutes ago, wily mo said:

ryne stanek, rays. 99.3 avg velo. 11 Ks, no walks in 4.1 innings in may in AAA. so far in the majors 2 outs, 2 holds

more details later

hmm bad timing on this one. perhaps a wait and see approach is in order here. 

he still throws hard!

Adam Warren has been good this season and been racking up innings but was lit up for 3 ER tonight. 

Some Wednesday night thoughts:

Chris Devenski brought into a 2-2 game in the 8th and gives up 2 ER. Seemed like hitters were sitting on his changeup. Inning started with a single and a double. Man on 2nd and 3rd. A groundout scored 1 run. Intentionally walked Miggy. 2nd run scores on another groundout that may have been a double play if the 1st baseman didn't suck at fielding a groundball. Got the 3rd out on a popup. I don't think the outing was as bad as it seems. A bit unlucky. 400 BABIP.

So I thought Carl Edwards, Jr. was the new 8th inning guy as he got the last (2) 8th inning holds. Koji Uehara got the start of the 8th instead. He gave up a single, got a groundout, a popout and gave up 1 walk. Then Madden brings in Edwards with men on 1st and 2nd and 2 outs. Edwards walks Buster Posey on 4 pitches (maybe by design or maybe not) then falls behind Brandon Crawford 3-1. Gets it to 3-2 and induces a soft ground ball back to the pitcher. Edwards may have gotten the hold today but it bothers me that Uehara started the 8th inning. What if Uehara did not get into trouble? Edwards would not have gotten a hold.

Edited by lassetjus

2 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

Chris Devenski brought into a 2-2 game in the 8th and gives up 2 ER. Seemed like hitters were sitting on his changeup. Inning started with a single and a double. Man on 2nd and 3rd. A groundout scored 1 run. Intentionally walked Miggy. 2nd run scores on another groundout that may have been a double play if the 1st baseman didn't suck. Got the 3rd out on a popup. I don't think the outing was as bad as it seems. A bit unlucky. 400 BABIP.

So I thought Carl Edwards, Jr. was the new 8th inning guy as he got the last (2) 8th inning holds. Koji Uehara got the start of the 8th instead. He gave up a single, got a groundout, a popout and gave up 1 walk. Then Madden brings in Edwards with men on 1st and 2nd. Edwards walks Buster Posey on 4 pitches (maybe by design or maybe not) then falls behind Brandon Crawdford 3-1. Gets it to 3-2 and induces a soft ground ball back to the pitcher. Edwards may have gotten the hold today but it bothers me that Uehara started the 8th inning. What if Uehara did not get into trouble? Edwards would not have gotten a hold.

Thanks for the intel! This is very informative, especially as a Devo owner. 

11 hours ago, lassetjus said:

Chris Devenski brought into a 2-2 game in the 8th and gives up 2 ER. Seemed like hitters were sitting on his changeup. Inning started with a single and a double. Man on 2nd and 3rd. A groundout scored 1 run. Intentionally walked Miggy. 2nd run scores on another groundout that may have been a double play if the 1st baseman didn't suck at fielding a groundball. Got the 3rd out on a popup. I don't think the outing was as bad as it seems. A bit unlucky. 400 BABIP.

So I thought Carl Edwards, Jr. was the new 8th inning guy as he got the last (2) 8th inning holds. Koji Uehara got the start of the 8th instead. He gave up a single, got a groundout, a popout and gave up 1 walk. Then Madden brings in Edwards with men on 1st and 2nd and 2 outs. Edwards walks Buster Posey on 4 pitches (maybe by design or maybe not) then falls behind Brandon Crawford 3-1. Gets it to 3-2 and induces a soft ground ball back to the pitcher. Edwards may have gotten the hold today but it bothers me that Uehara started the 8th inning. What if Uehara did not get into trouble? Edwards would not have gotten a hold.

Perhaps Madden is still trying to show confidence in his other experienced guys I would imagine. Cubs have a lot of bullpen guys  who are used to throwing key innings. Edwards is going to eventually be the 8th inning guy but it might not be everytime for awhile. Frankly, I would love to see him in a "fireman" role used often and anywhere from the 6th to the 9th.  

Edited by knuckleheads

Shane Greene had solid ratios and  ks.  Not a ton of holds but good inning or two guy

8 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Is Ryu now a long reliever?

certainly looks that way, for the moment. but you really never know what next week is going to bring on the dodgers pitching staff

alvarado and stanek seem to have gone from the minor leagues to being the rays main L/R setup crew in the span of about a week. and they both throw like 98 legit measured average, some of the hardest throwers out there. so, get in on that if you haven't already. i actually got beaten to stanek in my main league and i'm kinda mad about it

what's going on with joe smith this year? a career 20% k-rate guy who's suddenly striking out a ton of guys..almost doubling his norm to the tune of 38% as of today. a quick glance shows that he hasn't picked up any velocity and it appears he's roughly using the same pitch selection he's always had.. i don't see anything new. why are the results so much different this season? most of the advanced stats seem to support the results and he's definitely on my radar in a couple of leagues. mr devenski has been officially put on notice. <_<

Edited by osb_tensor

14 hours ago, wily mo said:

certainly looks that way, for the moment. but you really never know what next week is going to bring on the dodgers pitching staff

alvarado and stanek seem to have gone from the minor leagues to being the rays main L/R setup crew in the span of about a week. and they both throw like 98 legit measured average, some of the hardest throwers out there. so, get in on that if you haven't already. i actually got beaten to stanek in my main league and i'm kinda mad about it

I watched Stanek few days ago and he was majestic, struck out Pennington, Trout and Pujols swinging. Everything he throwed was 97-99 mph with great command and nice slider sprinkled sporadically (91-92 mph) 

Mighty impressive.

Edited by Pap

Ugh, what the hell, Barraclough?! A cool-sounding name will only get you so far, and he's been absolute trash lately - 6.35 ERA, 2.29 WHIP, 0.60 K/BB over the past month with only 2 holds. 

Any insight on this guy? He was great last year, but the walks are piling up again. Don't really want to drop, but he's killing me.

36 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Ugh, what the hell, Barraclough?! A cool-sounding name will only get you so far, and he's been absolute trash lately - 6.35 ERA, 2.29 WHIP, 0.60 K/BB over the past month with only 2 holds. 

Any insight on this guy? He was great last year, but the walks are piling up again. Don't really want to drop, but he's killing me.

He was dropped a month ago in our 12 team league with saves/holds.  He was picked up once for about a week and then dropped again and has not been touched since.  I don't think he's going to be on anyone's radar for awhile.  At least in my league...

Edited by knuckleheads

Where is Shawn Kelley?

He's not hurt (I don't think). He's literally faced 1 batter since May 19th and Dusty yesterday went to Albers in the 8th inning for the hold.

OK, so he's in the doghouse. Yet he's not pitching today in mop-up duty either...