mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

2 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

eh maybe he'll regress, but maybe not.. k-rate stabilizes around 70 batters faced and smith has faced over 100 on the season. and while that's certainly not the end-all be-all, it provides enough data to show that he's not just riding a hot streak, at this point there's been a measurable change somewhere or somehow.

one thing i have found that seems slightly different this season is his changup is about 3mph faster than his career average, going from 78.6 career to 81.4 this season, according to pitch fx. this seems to have turned a pitch that typically resulted in negative value throughout his career into a positive value for this season, or at least a non-negative value (0 can be positive in the right context).

edit: hell.. ignore the whole changeup thing, it appears he's only thrown it a handful of times. not enough data to actually claim anything regarding it.

It also wouldn't really make sense to me a faster changeup would be better . . . isn't the whole point that you're trying to get a maximum velocity difference between it and your fastball?

I've watched a lot of Joe Smith this year because I watch lots of Jays games, but I don't watch much west coast ball so I don't have much to compare him to from previous years.  I'll put it out there as something not really "measurable" in terms of advanced stats, but I wonder if the catching in Toronto is helping him a bit?  Russell Martin calls an excellent game and knows the strengths and weaknesses of the whole staff, which I think is very underrated.  Even when he was injured Luke Maile was starting in his place, who is a horrendous hitter but a very good catcher and game caller.  Smith lives on deception with his delivery and almost rising FB, and I think a lot of the K's have been coming just because he's setting batters up well.  He'll throw a low breaking ball on the outside corner to change the batter's eye level, then come back with a rising-almost-submarine FB letter high that keeps going up and get the batter to chase.  Things like that I think the catchers are calling well to maximize the smoke and mirrors effect.

Disclaimer though that I have no idea if this is an improvement from any of the Angels' catchers and how they called pitches for Joe.

Wow, that escalated quickly for Hoyt. K/9 and K/BB still rock the party, but he's been "Hoyt Garbage" otherwise lately. Funny thing is he's still collecting holds, so it's hard to just drop him in a 20-team league with few other options on the wire.

anybody worried about hoyt going forward?

over his last six games (random, arbitrary number) he's got 9.95/6.56/2.61 line. he's also got a 37.5% hr/fb, which should be unsustainable, and is reflected in his xfip. i'm wondering, though, if he's prone to the long ball. in his 22 inning stint in 2016 he ended up with an xfip that was almost two full runs lower than his fip (3.10 vs 4.92) and a hr/fb at 33.3%. this season and last are both SSS, and i don't see evidence of this in the minors, but it could be an unflattering trend that fantasy owners need to be aware of.

at a minimum it's worth monitoring..

several of the runs hoyt gave up were inherited runners when he'd leave a guy on first and the guy after him would give up a homer or something. it's still been a rough patch, but as you say he's still getting the holds so doesn't seem to have lost the manager's faith yet

wandy on the other hand seems to have just lost the magic. like, he hasn't even really been getting shelled except for that one game, but he's stopped really striking guys out the last few weeks. i'm pretty upset

Chafin has kept rolling. Blake Parker has been good too. Both have low 2 ERAs, low WHIPs and K/9s in the 13s.

As usual hoyt with another high era game today... Advanced stats still liked him and the strikeouts were there, but my roto ratios aren't real fond of this guy right now. 

1 hour ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

Eny Romero.....Kid has been a stud the last few weeks for WASH. No chance he gets a crack at saves?

Lefty power pitcher under team control until 2021.  I don't think the guy closing for the Nats in July is currently on their roster.

Does Jose Leclerc pitch in high leverage situations for Texas? I'm loving the K% but I need holds in order to pick him up instead of trading for Tommy Kahnle.

32 minutes ago, elrey said:

Does Jose Leclerc pitch in high leverage situations for Texas? I'm loving the K% but I need holds in order to pick him up instead of trading for Tommy Kahnle.

2 hold his past two appearances. He has been very solid all year and the only reason his rankings / stats are lower than most options is because he missed time with injury. I think I may be adding him today myself. 

32 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Tommy Kanhle anyone ?

Uhh... I would think in any competitive hold leagues, he would be long gone. If you are talking for non-holds leagues, he is one of the best non-closers you can get with his K% and the high possibility that Robertson will be traded and he will become the closer.

Leclerc gonna b big - grab him fast bush stock getting hairy , Kela sauce not so hot either .... Leclerc top 15 in baseball prospectus rankings for rates, k/9, k/bb

1 hour ago, Silverdome_Loyal said:

Leclerc gonna b big - grab him fast bush stock getting hairy , Kela sauce not so hot either .... Leclerc top 15 in baseball prospectus rankings for rates, k/9, k/bb

:lol:

Thoughts on Adam Warren? He has a low 2s ERA, a WHIP around 0.80 and his FIP is good but xFIP has him at 4. His K/9 is about average but he could be valuable for ratios as a multinning reliever--if he is legit.

Has  Barraclough stepped it up lately ? 

Will Harris has been nasty and should be owned if anyone needs a high K MR.  

Kahnle was mentioned above - he is a great hold especially if you are speculating as the next closer in waiting.  Robertson seems very likely to be traded.

Devenski has really fallen off a cliff, probably from over use.  Sad.  But his k/9 has dropped a ton this past 3-4 weeks.  Not sure what to make of him going forward.  

sorry guys, i killed rosie.

picked him up on monday, june 5th.. since then a 7.5 ERA and a 2.0 WHIP.

for the greater good of the community i removed him from my team this morning, everyone should be prepared for a sudden return to elite numbers

2 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

sorry guys, i killed rosie.

picked him up on monday, june 5th.. since then a 7.5 ERA and a 2.0 WHIP.

for the greater good of the community i removed him from my team this morning, everyone should be prepared for a sudden return to elite numbers

TY osb!

Are you guys still holding Archie Bradley? Guys like Street, Kela, Leclerc are still available...

Edited by remark900