mysonx3

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

jacob barnes milwaukee relief, 14.8 swstr% last year, 2.7 era, 4+ k/bb, clean inning the other day, mid 90s cheddar and a sharp slider.

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

filthy dirty. tell me he compliments that pitch with a wicked slider?

Ok just went back and rewatched it on mlb.tv.

He threw some 88 mph cutters that looked decent, but definitely not anything impressive. He had one 82 mph slider that did look really nasty, it broke in towards joc heavily. I don't even think slider is the right word for it, it was probably slurvy. Joc laid off though.

He also got a swinging strike on a changeup.

Control/command may be an issue here cause his fastball was over the place at times, but the raw stuff is promising.

BTW -- announcer compared his 2 seam FB to kevin brown (who should be in the HOF). That is quite an impressive comp.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

Grant Dayton is a nice piece to add even in leagues that don't count holds because of his ratios and his k rate. 

A little dissapointed that Chris Devenski was not used in back to back wins to begin the season for the Stros.  

4 hours ago, chud12 said:

A little dissapointed that Chris Devenski was not used in back to back wins to begin the season for the Stros.  

Struck out the side tonight in a tie game.. 

Edited by chud12

7 hours ago, chud12 said:

4 IP in relief.

no hits, no runs, 7K, 1 BB

I would say that right now he has the largest gap in how great a pitcher he is vs how valuable he is for fantasy.

I wish the Astros would figure out a way to use him that would give him more fantasy value.  I have him in two leagues

and i did the second half of last season too.

5 hours ago, remark900 said:

Is Mike Dunn worth an add in Holds leagues?

Yes.

The Rockies are a seriously interesting club this season. I think they surprise us quite a bit more times than not. Dunn looks solid and lots of trust going his way. I think he gets a solid amount of holds and could work his way into some save opps if Holland has issues.

Also, he may already be mentioned in this thread ( have not read all the posts ) but be sure to own Felipe Riverio. Solid arm 7th/8th inning guy in Pittsburgh. Good amount of holds coming his way.

Grant Dayton didn't pitch the 8th.  God damnit all my holds guys are not getting holds. 

1 hour ago, Dugout Legend said:

Yes.

The Rockies are a seriously interesting club this season. I think they surprise us quite a bit more times than not. Dunn looks solid and lots of trust going his way. I think he gets a solid amount of holds and could work his way into some save opps if Holland has issues.

I'm wary of Mike Dunn in Coors. High FB% (42.6% in 2016; 43.0% career) and decreased K rate last year (21.6% in 2016 vs 25.8% career). Next series is Dodgers at home.

*Full disclosure: Dropped Dunn and McGee yesterday for Bailey and a bat in a SV and HLD league.

Anything to see with Adam Warren on the Yankees?  Seems to be getting mop up duties, but isn't he like the firemans role on the Yankees? Could be decent for your ratios and Ks with 80 + innings.

Signed up to post about Warren as well, glad someone else noticed.

It looks like a he was a decent reliever from 13-14, a decent reliever/starter in 15, and a bad 2nd half reliever with the cubs last year after a good 1st half with the Yankees. He's back to the Yankees now. His career numbers are ok...3.58 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 7.6 K/9, 3.1 BB/9.

Both Yankees starters were pulled early this year, and he came in a pitched 2.1 innings in both games. I'll keep a close eye to see if they use him like the Astros use Devenski, but not ready to pounce yet.

Carl Edwards appears to be behind both Strop and Rondon in the pecking order for setup man.

EDIT: Strop allows 2 baserunners and Edwards came in to relieve him.

Edited by Dahk

17 hours ago, Dugout Legend said:

Also, he may already be mentioned in this thread ( have not read all the posts ) but be sure to own Felipe Riverio. Solid arm 7th/8th inning guy in Pittsburgh. Good amount of holds coming his way.

if you go back to the 2016 middle relief thread, you'll see I raved about him.

Still think he's exceptionally talented and has a ceiling as one of the best RP in all of baseball. He raw stuff is amazing, three pitches, and a lefty.

2 hours ago, Dahk said:

Carl Edwards appears to be behind both Strop and Rondon in the pecking order for setup man.

EDIT: Strop allows 2 baserunners and Edwards came in to relieve him.

Yesterday Uerhara pitched the 7th and and Strop the 8th. Today Rondon pitched the 7th and Strop started the 8th. Edwards only came in because Strop didn't have it today. Who knows if that opens the door a bit for Edwards to move up the pecking order. It was disheartening to see Strop start the 8th when he just pitched yesterday and Edwards hasnt pitched since Sunday. Edwards is the most talented arm in that pen in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

Cubs seem to be a total mystery.

Problem is they are really deep. Strop, Uehara, Rondon, Edwards all setup men. 2 of those guys are former closers who are still effective. Edwards closed the world series.

Edited by lassetjus

kinda offtopic but this is one of my favorite RW threads every year

I play a ton of svhd. Went $1 rp this year in a 14x30 league and kinda like my staff for the price that was paid. Felipe Rivero, matt bush, michael lorenzen, arodys vizcaino, kevin siegrist, jacob barnes, joe kelly (cy kelly), and juan nicasio. the last two with clutch dual elig.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

35 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

Cubs seem to be a total mystery.

The best I can figure is that Edwards is the fireman, while Strop and Uehara are the primary setup men (if that makes any sense)...

Montgomery might get some situational usage (e.g., lefty-lefty), but I think he's most likely going to be run out there as an innings-eater in close games, somewhat like what we saw from Houston last night with Devenski. 

As for Rondon, I don't think Maddon wants to go anywhere near him with a short lead unless one of Strop or Uehara need the night off; as he's never really trusted him, even when he was at his best.

in a SV/HD league, with K/9 as a cat as well, I had to pick up someone mentioned here previously, Dan Altavilla from the Mariners.

CSB,ha.

Matt Strahm, you are killing me, stop sucking!

Edited by Pernil