Fuzzy_Slippers

Jose Altuve 2017 Outlook

This guy is pure money. I'm not expecting him to hit 24 homers again, but I think 15-20 is definitely possible. What are you guys projecting this season? How many runs? How many stolen bases? I have him as my overall #4 player.

his homers have steadily climbed. maybe he is in fact a 20+ homerun guy??

15 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

He's not projected to be, but it's possible.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:09 AM, jfazz23 said:

while his SB's have dropped

I think he is a 6th or 7th overall pick. Does that jibe with what everyone else values him?

Not a big fan of him hitting 3rd. Have always felt he and Springer should be flipped.

I think you are looking at 18-20 HR's, 25 SB's and a 385 OBP. Not too shabby, but not sure he's top 5 where I see him go

If I'm not mistaken he's finished in the top 5 of the ESPN Player Rater each of the last 3 seasons. Altuve offers the oh so important 1st round consistency and safety year in and year out all while doing it at a position that is normally pretty shallow. That goes a long way, which is why so many people are seeing him go in the top 4-5. I personally have him ranked 5th in my OBP league behind Trout, Mookie, Goldy, and Harper but have no issue with people ranking him higher. I do think last year was likely the highest we'll see his power numbers reach but I believe he's capable of hitting 18-20. With him hitting 3rd his SB numbers could stay closer to 30 as opposed to the 40+ we know he's capable of, which is a bit of a give and take given the number of extra RBI opportunities he's going to see. And he still should be able to reach close to 100 runs with the guys hitting behind him. With regards to the people doubting his top 5 status I think you may be undervaluing his average/OBP and not giving it the same weight as the other offensive categories. I see this far too often in my leagues and I'll never understand it. AVE/OBP are drivers for all the other offensive categories so I tend to look more closely at that than many others. 

Top 5 pick for sure, and probably top 4. Everything you want in your first pick...consistency without reaching....and numbers guaranteed.

I'll take Arenado over him, so he definitely bumps down to 5 for me. Then I'd also consider Machado, so that's where I get to 6 I suppose. I can see I'm in the minority though. 

Edited by Stats

Picking #9 overall I'd take him if he falls no doubt. Don't usually take 2B in the 1st but he fills the cats with the best of them. 

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

Picking #9 overall I'd take him if he falls no doubt. Don't usually take 2B in the 1st but he fills the cats with the best of them. 

No way he's lasting till pick 9 though...

17 hours ago, VitorSH said:

No way he's lasting till pick 9 though...

haha - yeah pretty sure this is true. He did fall to me there in a 12-team mock shortly before I made that post - the first time in my 49 Y! mocks so far it's happened.

5 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

haha - yeah pretty sure this is true. He did fall to me there in a 12-team mock shortly before I made that post - the first time in my 49 Y! mocks so far it's happened.

lol @ 49 mocks

Yeah, you can always have faith your draft room will let him slip, but I'd personally have a backup plan for that!

2 minutes ago, VitorSH said:

lol @ 49 mocks

Will easily be 100+ before I go

As I said - would just as soon draft a bopper (HR/RBI) rd 1

Edited by SuperJoint

I am between a rock and a hard space picking 3, being a Cub fan I want Bryant but the numbers are telling me to take Altuve

I really think Altuve will hit 340+ easy and just curious to your thoughts on the impact of a team with an average like that. Is it being underrated?

1 hour ago, RolandoRoomes said:

I am between a rock and a hard space picking 3, being a Cub fan I want Bryant but the numbers are telling me to take Altuve

I really think Altuve will hit 340+ easy and just curious to your thoughts on the impact of a team with an average like that. Is it being underrated?

.340 easy? 

2 hours ago, RolandoRoomes said:

And with one arm tied behind his back!!

If he hits .300 I'm happy.  A .300 average from over 650 AB is sweet.

Took him at 7th overall in a 16 team points league.  Was torn between him, Bryant (couldn't believe he was still there), and machado.  Played it safe and went with the high floor of altuve.  Hopefully it works out.

2 hours ago, Triple Crown25 said:

Took him at 7th overall in a 16 team points league.  Was torn between him, Bryant (couldn't believe he was still there), and machado.  Played it safe and went with the high floor of altuve.  Hopefully it works out.

Who went top 6?

I think Altuve is between '15 and '16 based on SO/BB% and other factors. I think .325 is the floor with this dude for at least 5 more years. If the OBP stays in the 370 range .320 is a given

The power is 15-20 easy but after reading that he has a goal of 30 HR someday it makes me think last year was far from a fluke

.325/20/80/100/30 is about the middle and I think the RBI are up due to the batting spot he is in and he will have more RBI

These are Trea Turner's ceiling numbers I think with about 20 more SB's

Picking 3 tonight and having a real tough time trying to decide

Just now, CraftyRighty said:

I think Altuve is between '15 and '16 based on SO/BB% and other factors. I think .325 is the floor with this dude for at least 5 more years. If the OBP stays in the 370 range .320 is a given

The power is 15-20 easy but after reading that he has a goal of 30 HR someday it makes me think last year was far from a fluke

.325/20/80/100/30 is about the middle and I think the RBI are up due to the batting spot he is in and he will have more RBI

These are Trea Turner's ceiling numbers I think with about 20 more SB's

Picking 3 tonight and having a real tough time trying to decide

Altuve is an excellent choice at #3. Altuve > Bryant (he seems to be going #3 pretty frequently).