swaggyp

Tom Brady 2017 Outlook

He's not 2015 Manning, but we can put to bed some of the ridiculous talk of 56 passing TDs this season. He's going to have better games, but I also think it will be interspersed with more games like this where he's off. A lot of talk about the Chiefs Defense being the reason he was off, but when has the matchup ever mattered with Brady before this, other than vs the 2015 Broncos in the AFC championship? He played at an unprecedented level for his age last year, at some point the wheels have to start coming off..

He may no longer be the set it and forget it, surefire top 3 QB in season long. If I owned him I'm not panicking, but I'm making sure I have a second QB on the roster as a contingency plan or for juicy matchups. 

if u want to use last night for some clues, the pats have a sick number of options at running the ball and they ran the ball very well; literally unstoppable in the red zone. So there really is no need for Brady to toss TD passes when they can literally run the ball in at will.

Also that edelman role is critical for keeping the defense  in check

Relax guys.. It's only the first game and Edelman is out as well. Gonna take them a couple of more games before they find their identity but he should be fine. Whole team played pretty bad yesterday anw so nothing to worry. 

All I know is that there were many survivor pools busted and lots of money lost last night. That's for sure

lets assess after next week to see if Brady is done. It's not like any of you will be benching him against the saints.

I don't even think the Chiefs defense looked particularly good at all. They weren't able to get any pressure until later in the game, they had a ton of boneheaded penalties, and tackling in particular was pretty sloppy. Even when Brady had all day in the pocket, his throws were off. Still has the arm to push it deep, but that doesn't really matter if it's not in the vicinity of your intended WR. The really need to retool their offensive scheme around the speed of Cooks, because everyone else on that offense looked slow as molasses.

• Like 1

Brady will be fine, but he was badly overdrafted in most fantasy leagues as top QBs usually are. Brady was drafted before Kareem Hunt in lots of leagues. Last night was a good example of the opportunity cost of reaching for a QB when you could be stocking up on the handful of RBs who will have big workloads and the potential to be big parts of their offenses.

• Like 1

Not worried, Chiefs D executed their gameplan very well and have one of the top 5 Ds in the league(with Berry at least). It was clear the Pats offense wasn't right but Bill Belichick will go back to the drawing boards and figure out a way to get them back on track. Brady probably should have ended up with a TD instead of them having 3 rushing scores but just unfortunate luck. I still expect him to perform as a top 5 fantasy qb from here on out.

Meh.. I was confused as to why McDaniels kept dialing up long balls all game long. When the Pats were down 8 it felt like they were calling plays as if they were down at least 14.

I'm not worried, the Chiefs are a solid team and NE defense was unable to stop them which created some desperation with the offense. Gillislee punching in 3 TDs is causing the overreaction a bit too, if Brady had the same stat line with 2 TDs there wouldn't be quite as much panic fantasy wise.

Peyton Manning fell off a cliff between the 2014 and 2015 seasons. I don't see that with Brady, but guys get old fast in the NFL. No matter how good Cooks looked, Brady needs guys like Amendola and Edelman running those quick routes to allow Brady to get rid of the ball fast because he absolutely hates pressure. If you watched the game last night he just bailed on some throws because he felt the pressure up the middle.
It's just 1 game, but Brady also looked awful in the first half of the Super Bowl before having a miraculous second half.  

• Like 1

I'd be worried about their WR depth.  Going into the game they only had 4 healthy receivers and after the game Amendola got a concussion (no surprise there).

Now they have Cooks, Hogan and Dorsett left.

10 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

I'd be worried about their WR depth.  Going into the game they only had 4 healthy receivers and after the game Amendola got a concussion (no surprise there).

And Gronk.. Plus 3 RB who can catch also. He has enough weapon to throw. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

I'd be worried about wr depth too, but the pats have never been a true wr team. They basically pepper the slot guy and other than moss have never used a 2nd receiver. That's because they use Gronk and rbs so well. I'm more worried that they don't have the slot guy so it changes their offense. 

geez just delete this failed post 

Edited by lolcopter

1 hour ago, oliminator123 said:

Last night reminded me of 2013 Brady, when he had Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins as his go-to receivers next to newly acquired Edelman. The same season that Aaron Hernandez went to jail and Wes Welker went to Denver.

I own 0 shares of Brady, and actually played against him in my big league last night, and I think he will be fine.

They drafted Edelman in 2009, but I agree, he'll be fine.

I'd be a little concerned over TB WRs dropping like flies,  RB being a strength and their def sucking. Gronk looks like he lost a step, other WRs are meh, aside from Cooks whose getting all the attn. Pats are gonna win a lot of games this year but not so sure it's all gonna be on the arm of TB.. Something I didn't think would happen 2 weeks ago pre-Edelman about TB. Don't own TB, but it's something to monitor if you do. 

21 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

geez just delete this failed post 

Hide contents

If you look at last 4 years stats alone, it is true. Other than Lafell in 2014 at 953 yards, no other wr in new England has gone over 750 yards except Edelman. Pats use rbs and Gronk ahern etc and rotate wr2. The slot guys catch balls and tally up yards. Please show proof otherwise because the numbers show Brady peppers edelman, Welker,  and then the wr2 does less than 750 yards. Almost every single year since moss.

2 minutes ago, Mattice1 said:

If you look at last 4 years stats alone, it is true. Other than Lafell in 2014 at 953 yards, no other wr in new England has gone over 750 yards except Edelman. Pats use rbs and Gronk ahern etc and rotate wr2. The slot guys catch balls and tally up yards. Please show proof otherwise because the numbers show Brady peppers edelman, Welker,  and then the wr2 does less than 750 yards. Almost every single year since moss.

I was just trying to be a smart Alec and post a Josh Gordon gif lol

You should never have big takeaways from just one game.  But if there's one potential thing that is worrisome about NE's performance last night it was Brady.  Time is undefeated and Brady, although the GOAT, will eventually fall off.  Brady's accuracy seemed poor last night (and he's usually quite accurate).  There was a play in the 3rd quarter or so, a short throw to Gronk if I'm not mistaken.  The total distance of the pass couldn't have been more than 12 yards, but he missed Gronk by a mile.  Maybe the ball slipped out of his hands or something, but it seemed to sum up a night of errant throws on Brady's part.

I'd still expect him to shred NO next week (I'd expect that of almost any QB) but this is worth monitoring.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

is Jimmy G worth a speculative add?

If you're mining for coal.

• Like 1

Shades of the 2014 Chiefs game, a memory I was not expecting to dredge up this season.