Sign in to follow this  
My Dinner With Andre

CTE could end the game of Football as we know it

10 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Probably because it's fun to watch. However, if we are forced to watch CFL level scrubs in the future play for professional teams we have no real affiliation with (like what we have with colleges) due to top athletes choosing to use their athletic abilities in sports other than football, it may become a lot less fun to watch.

Lol It's already happening.

Do you know how many prominent UDFA rookies have prominent roles on today's teams?

10 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Lol It's already happening.

Do you know how many prominent UDFA rookies have prominent roles on today's teams?

Could be said for the vast majority of all rookies

Edited by lolcopter

On 9/21/2017 at 6:16 PM, gimme the ball said:

I don't buy the "science" at all. Nobody has done a large objective study comparing normal brains and football brains. Nor do people talk about stuff like this: 

https://sports.yahoo.com/im-brain-scientist-let-son-play-football-135727314.html

They want to ban the sport, period. I think part of it is people who are obsessed with "toxic masculinity". There's a million ways to do it. Just think of how the assembly line is structured, beginning at Pee-Wee all the way to high school. These people are sneaky. There's a million subtle ways to destroy the sport. What do you think all this stuff is, doing away with contact practices, players doing political soliloquies, ESPN sideline guys tweaking over black coaches, etc.. Just add more rules, and more rules, and more rules, all in the name of "player safety". Meanwhile they're getting ready to run with the "Football killed Hernandez" narrative. Get a sympathetic judge and can you imagine what the whipped NFL will do? Death by a thousand cuts. And it's already having an effect as evidenced by the ratings. 

NGjJKGW_d.jpg

So much is still unknown about CTE. And now Hernandez's lawyers and the media are trying to link being a serial killer and sociopath due to being knocked around in football. Hernandez was a sociopath before football and there was evidence of that. But it is understandable that they want to clear his name to recoup money for his daughter. I can't fault them for that and I feel terrible for his daughter. But what about the victims of his violence and their families? They tend to be ignored in all this talk about Hernandez.

CTE is showing up in many sports. I think we are still 5-10 years or even further from having a better idea about CTE and how sports impact the disease though.

On 9/21/2017 at 8:12 PM, wahl35 said:

No it's not  Do you really think there is more high school female soccer being played than high school football? This was a chart plucked out of an article about concussions. I hate doing this but ......

High school girls have a significantly higher concussion rate than boys, with female soccer players suffering the most concussions, according to new research presented today at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS).

Female soccer players suffer the most concussions in high school sports

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170314081533.htm

Girls’ soccer, basketball players have higher concussion rates than male counterparts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2017/03/27/girls-soccer-has-highest-concussion-rate-of-high-school-sports-study-finds/?utm_term=.6d22fbf2994c

Go read the studies number one. The point I am trying to make is  football is taking the brunt of this when there are other sports with major concussion issues. The NFL makes a boatload of $$$ and there is money to be made in lawsuits and webclicks and other media outlets pushing this story.

I agree with your last point here, my gripe is with the graphic in the WaPo article. Using the total number of injuries as the denominator doesn't make any sense. The denominator should be some unit of time, whether it's hours player or games played if you want to talk about the rate of concussions. All this chart might mean is that there are tons more non-concussion injuries in football than in girls soccer. Without context, we don't know.

I said it's a bad use of data on its own and I stand by it. It looks like a meaningful chart, but it's an example of "lies, damned lies, and statistics."

ConcussionAAOS-1.jpg&w=480

EDIT:

One of the top comments from that WaPo article included this data, which shows football having at least twice as many concussions as girls soccer on an athletic exposure basis. Really, this makes both of our points. Lots of sports have concussion problems -- and I agree that soccer has received particularly low levels of attention for it. At the same time, that's a crappy and misleading chart by WaPo.

Greg Griffith

Here are the absolute concussion rates that this article is lacking:  
Concussion Rates per Sport 
The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played. 
• Football: 64 -76.8 
• Boys' ice hockey: 54 
• Girl's soccer: 33 
• Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6 
• Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35 
• Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2 
• Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9 
• Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21 
• Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3 
• Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2 
• Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9 
• Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14 
• Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6 
• Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5 
• Girls' gymnastics: 7 

In addition, the article refers to wearing protection, other articles and studies disagree: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/121434... 
Edited by diverz4

[Removed a long political derail.  Guys, talk about the protests is a no-go here, as is attacking other posters.  This needs to stop immediately.  Thread will be locked for now to put an end to the back-and-forth.]