Sign in to follow this  
My Dinner With Andre

CTE could end the game of Football as we know it

That Concussion movie was garbage and I couldn't even make it through the entire thing. We get it; the NFL was trying to cover up concussion issues. Don't need a dramatized movie version of documented reports to try to further demonize the NFL.

Obviously there are some people who don't think there was a cover up.

I get it. There are those of us who are obviously very passionate about this sport, and talking about these kinds of consequences for our entertainment is difficult. It says something about us. But we can't ignore it. It exists.

Plenty of guys in the trades can't either but you know that going in right? Even you cube jockies know your wrists will be junk eventually. Lifetime of money over a short period of time doesn't come without its consequences.

Being a cube jockey is probably awful for you, especially if you're a 9-9'er rather than a 9-5er.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/21/health/sitting-will-kill-you/

http://www.diygenius.com/your-desk-job-is-killing-you-the-truth-about-sitting-down-infographic/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-active-times/sitting-is-the-new-smokin_b_5890006.html

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/sitting/faq-20058005

Also, an interesting hypothesis regarding brain injuries that I don't see mentioned in the media often enough...there is likely a genetic component:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/finding-a-link-between-genes-and-brain-injury-are-some-people-predisposed-to-trauma/2014/05/05/c2d9dd06-c49e-11e3-bcec-b71ee10e9bc3_story.html

That Concussion movie was garbage and I couldn't even make it through the entire thing. We get it; the NFL was trying to cover up concussion issues. Don't need a dramatized movie version of documented reports to try to further demonize the NFL.

Obviously there are some people who don't think there was a cover up.

I get it. There are those of us who are obviously very passionate about this sport, and talking about these kinds of consequences for our entertainment is difficult. It says something about us. But we can't ignore it. It exists.

I agree that there are those that will believe the NFL didn't try to cover it up. But there was a lawsuit and the NFL is paying out the behind for concussion related issues. They didn't have to release all of the information though as part of the lawsuit settlement, so there is still some ambiguity.

Parts of the movie weren't even factual either, which bothers me a bit. But that is a personal opinion. Concussion issues of players have zero impact on my life, so I don't care one bit.

I have no issue with awareness, it's the transference of blame & litigation that I have issue with. Media running with it like it was some great cover-up by the NFL.

It's also odd that Randle just know has had this lightbulb moment that baseball careers are potentially longer & easier on the body.

Well, the NFL doctors did send Omalu a letter accusing him of fraud and suggesting he should retract his report, which generally results in a Doctor being discredited and losing their license, despite a near consensus agreement now on his findings.

What would you call that?

It's the very definition of a cover up.

If you play football for 30 yrs, there's a good chance that your body will be completely shot & your brain will be part marshmallow = news flash?

Also, an interesting hypothesis regarding brain injuries that I don't see mentioned in the media often enough...there is likely a genetic component:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/finding-a-link-between-genes-and-brain-injury-are-some-people-predisposed-to-trauma/2014/05/05/c2d9dd06-c49e-11e3-bcec-b71ee10e9bc3_story.html

There will always be a genetic component...but more attention needs to be placed on the ill-fitted equipment the kids play with before they hit the big time.

Ex- I bought my son a new helmet because the one provided by his school (Chicago Public) wouldn't hold air, and if I had not played I would've have been a parent that knew any better.

I have no issue with awareness, it's the transference of blame & litigation that I have issue with. Media running with it like it was some great cover-up by the NFL.

It's also odd that Randle just know has had this lightbulb moment that baseball careers are potentially longer & easier on the body.

Well, the NFL doctors did send Omalu a letter accusing him of fraud and suggesting he should retract his report, which generally results in a Doctor being discredited and losing their license, despite a near consensus agreement now on his findings.

If you play football for 30 yrs, there's a good chance that your body will be completely shot & your brain will be part marshmallow = news flash?

If Omalu's research into CTE was redundant because it was public knowledge, then why did the NFL doctors send a letter threatening that they would call his paper fraudulent and ask him to retract it? Why did the league feel it necessary to discredit these findings if they were already universally accepted?

If Omalu's research into CTE was redundant because it was public knowledge, then why did the NFL doctors send a letter threatening that they would call his paper fraudulent and ask him to retract it? Why did the league feel it necessary to discredit these findings if they were already universally accepted?

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/12/the_truth_about_will_smith_s_concussion_and_bennet_omalu.html

I did not read the Doctor's findings & conclusion...did it lay causal blame on the NFL's lap? What did you read?

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/12/the_truth_about_will_smith_s_concussion_and_bennet_omalu.html

From the article, "the NFL's corrupt administration really did attempt to discredit his research and then for half a decade ignored this important line of inquiry."

I did not read the Doctor's findings & conclusion...did it lay causal blame on the NFL's lap? What did you read?

I mean, he's not a lawyer, he's a doctor. He's not in a position to place legal blame, his findings only speak to medical research into what type of trauma results in CTE.

But obviously the NFL felt that his findings might have some sort of negative reprecussions on their league if they sought to discredit his research.

Findings like his weren't "universally accepted" though. He had discovered something and had it published. The links to the cause of it weren't completely clear and still aren't. A lot of research is currently being done on CTE. But there is definitely support out there now that sports like the NFL can lead to CTE. Heck, there was evidence of CTE due to boxing 40 years ago.

Future parents: the Surgeon General has issued a warning that all sports, organized or recreational, have various levels of health risks, most of which are obvious to the participants, regardless of age. Please consider them and take all available protective measures should you CHOOSE to engage in such activities.

Findings like his weren't "universally accepted" though. He had discovered something and had it published. The links to the cause of it weren't completely clear and still aren't. A lot of research is currently being done on CTE. But there is definitely support out there now that sports like the NFL can lead to CTE. Heck, there was evidence of CTE due to boxing 40 years ago.

Definitely.

I was responding to psy's comment about "not knowing that playing football can turn your brain into marshmallow." It seemed to me he was suggesting sarcastically that traumatic head injury while playing football resulted in CTE was common knowledge, and that Omalu's research was thus redundant.

I'd say that this specific line of medical inquiry was not common knowledge. And that's important, because though we may have known that "getting your bell rung" might "mess your head up" we didn't really know the degree to which it might happen, the percentage of football players who are effected, what the long term consequences of "getting your head messed up" might look like, etc.

And I think that's important. Particularly as someone who, "got their bell rung" from time to time and "rubbed some dirt on it and walked it off."

I would never, NEVER, allow a kid of mine to participate in pole vault at the high school level.

I would never, NEVER, allow a kid of mine to participate in pole vault at the high school level.

Cool?

Cool?

I think the short shorts bother him :D

Brain trauma is a big mystery, because it doesn't impact everyone the same way. Illnesses due to brain trauma manifest themselves in many different ways. Some of the rhetoric out there thanks to the overdramatization of Hollywood in the movie Concussion have many people, especially parents, believing concussions in football directly result in dementia, Alzheimer's, and/or suicide. Unfortunately there is no equation out there for concussions and brain trauma where y=x.

The best thing to do is be aware of the risks and take precautions.

I'll bite.

I'll bite.

Most dangerous H.S. sport I have ever witnessed...outlawed in certain parts of the country.

I'll bite.

Most dangerous H.S. sport I have ever witnessed...outlawed in certain parts of the country.

Took a look. Have to agree with you. And thinking about it now it makes sense. Falling 20 feet at full speed is probably more dangerous than any hit you might sustain in the NFL. And they do it repetitively.

I'll bite.

Took a look. Have to agree with you. And thinking about it now it makes sense. Falling 20 feet at full speed is probably more dangerous than any hit you might sustain in the NFL. And they do it repetitively.

...ok? Seems like a non-sequitur, fellas.

...ok? Seems like a non-sequitur, fellas.

Sports are dangerous, even ones you might not consider all that unsafe at first.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2085930

I wonder if there are more serious injuries sustained among people driving to the games than among the players in the games.

Maybe "the fans" should initiate a class action suit against the NFL...

I wonder if there are more serious injuries sustained among people driving to the games than among the players in the games.

Maybe "the fans" should initiate a class action suit against the NFL...

You joke, but somewhere there's a sleezeball lawyer reading this thread thinking there could be a case.