ponza88

Josh Gordon 2017 Season Outlook

Endless debate for the next four weeks... sigh.

An actual serious question... Have the Browns actually brought him into the building? Have they said whether or not he will be on the team? I seem to remember the press release leaving it very vague. Are his two possibilities he plays for the Browns or he gets released and put on waivers? The latter being unlikely because they wouldn't get anything in return for him?  Is there a possibility they don't put him on the active roster and then wait until the offseason to trade him so they get some value for him if they don't want him? 

Anything's possible.  But if the goal was to trade him, wouldn't it be smarter to get him ON the field and INCREASE his value.  I know if I were another GM, I'd like to see actual proof that he's "back".  Not to mention, you're Cleveland and like usual, you're putting a cr#p product on the field.  Playing him would be a good PR move for the fans.

Edited by Bandito

11 minutes ago, CooL said:

Endless debate for the next four weeks... sigh.

An actual serious question... Have the Browns actually brought him into the building? Have they said whether or not he will be on the team? I seem to remember the press release leaving it very vague. Are his two possibilities he plays for the Browns or he gets released and put on waivers? The latter being unlikely because they wouldn't get anything in return for him?  Is there a possibility they don't put him on the active roster and then wait until the offseason to trade him so they get some value for him if they don't want him? 

They could have traded away his rights prior to trade deadline and reinstatement. The only decision the browns have to make is will he touch the field this season. Reinstatement means his contract is live and they have to pay him the prorated portion of his salary.  So it would make no sense to release a guy you could have traded for a marginal draft pick or player from the practice squad. 

On 11/2/2017 at 2:58 PM, ponza88 said:

It's also very short-sighted and illogical to totally disregard his 2013 season and just lazily say "He hasn't played in so long, he's going to suck".

Georges St-Pierre's performance tonight agrees with that. GSP took 4 years off from the UFC, came back tonight (jumping up a weight class), and became champion in his first fight back.  I'm sure plenty people were doubting him because his last fight had been in 2013.  Elite athletes have the potential to get the magic back as long as they aren't flirting too closely with Father Time and are willing to put in the required work.

Edited by Stone Cold

6 hours ago, tts42572 said:

I have no idea why but i'm rooting for this guy.  I don't know him a single bit but for some odd reason I'd give the guy the shirt off my back if it would help him. 

I agree. The NFL is just a better league when its best players are on the field performing. We already lost the magic of Watson, the excellence of Rodgers, the domination of Johnson and the ascension of Cooks among other great players. And we are only at the halfway mark of the season. Perhaps karma allows us all the opportunity to witness the greatness of Gordon before the season ends.

Edited by Newtown

I picked him up after the news to give me time think. I will be dropping him tomorrow. There are way better players on wire than Gordon. Too many things have to go right for him to be worth it. I think the real winner is the rest of the offense if he plays. If he doesn't do well in the last few games it will be blamed on rust and the hype will be crazy again next year. Also when does Corey Coleman comeback? I'd take a chance on him before Gordon. 

I know people are going to argue about his upside, but starting a player who hasn't played in years doesn't sound smart. WR's I'd stash over Gordon, West brook, Ty Williams, John Brown,  Corey Coleman, Corey Davis. This thread gets locked constantly due to the hype, yet we think Gordon is somehow still a value? Josh Gordon is the poster child for over hyped player. FYI over hyped does not mean he not talented. 

1 hour ago, cyberwatty said:

I picked him up after the news to give me time think. I will be dropping him tomorrow. There are way better players on wire than Gordon. Too many things have to go right for him to be worth it. I think the real winner is the rest of the offense if he plays. If he doesn't do well in the last few games it will be blamed on rust and the hype will be crazy again next year. Also when does Corey Coleman comeback? I'd take a chance on him before Gordon. 

I know people are going to argue about his upside, but starting a player who hasn't played in years doesn't sound smart. WR's I'd stash over Gordon, West brook, Ty Williams, John Brown,  Corey Coleman, Corey Davis. This thread gets locked constantly due to the hype, yet we think Gordon is somehow still a value? Josh Gordon is the poster child for over hyped player. FYI over hyped does not mean he not talented. 

Do you carry a bucket of ice cold water wherever you go? Must be fun at parties.

Edited by Newtown

4 hours ago, cyberwatty said:

1. You don't know if the players you named are way better than Josh Gordon but you could argue those players are in a better situation to succeed and provide you with point production.

2.  Every player you named including Josh is a dart throw which is why they  were available on your waiver at week 9

3. Every player with a thread on the forum including the ones you name are hyped to some degree and debated by guys who love them and those who hate them.

4. Corey Coleman is eligible to return week 11

Unfortunately I was doing yard work when news broke of his conditional reinstatement so I missed out.  

Therefore this will be the league winning pick up for those who got him, because fantasy football

Why would anyone pick him up? Wasted roster space on a guy who can't play until week 13 who is on a bad team with no qb. He has a brutal playoff schedule with the exception of GB . His only value is in keeper or dynasty leagues.

36 minutes ago, Baldy8 said:

Why would anyone pick him up? Wasted roster space on a guy who can't play until week 13 who is on a bad team with no qb. He has a brutal playoff schedule with the exception of GB . His only value is in keeper or dynasty leagues.

I mean...he was the best WR in the game with Brandon Weeden at QB. I get that he'll be rusty and the schedule is bad and "what does he have left this long out of football" arguments. But the guy's production isn't QB or team dependent. 

He's a hail Mary if you're overmatched in the playoffs, lost Elliott, etc. His floor is rock bottom but if you need ceiling he's a very good play IMO. 

He’s 26 and a beast. He’s not 34. He’s been playing football his whole life. I would not be shocked if he came back and feasted right away. I lost Beckham so am rooting for him to be a difference maker. On 12 team leagues where the end of the bench is filled with players like Crowder, Cooper Cupp, Paul Richardson, Robbie Andersen - all serviceable options but to me it’s a no-brained gamble picking up FLASH GORDON!!!!

The leonard fournette news is exactly why I can't hold him that long. The points I can get from now to week 13 will at least be equivalent to whatever Gordon puts up ROS. I mean Gordon is only as good as the next best alternative, so if I find a WR who matches Gordon points from week 13 on then Gordon is not worth the hold. Maybe I'm way off base, but good luck to whoever holds just my thoughts.

8 minutes ago, cyberwatty said:

The leonard fournette news is exactly why I can't hold him that long. The points I can get from now to week 13 will at least be equivalent to whatever Gordon puts up ROS. I mean Gordon is only as good as the next best alternative, so if I find a WR who matches Gordon points from week 13 on then Gordon is not worth the hold. Maybe I'm way off base, but good luck to whoever holds just my thoughts.

You don’t have to come here and seek justification for dropping a league winner. They Josh Gordon will unleash havioc on fantasy football teams and lead us loyal followers to the promise land. Just pray to Lord Gordon that he has mercy on you and doesn’t play you in the playoffs. Best of luck and God speed.

2 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Unfortunately I was doing yard work when news broke of his conditional reinstatement so I missed out.  

Therefore this will be the league winning pick up for those who got him, because fantasy football

Not so fast my friend. He can't come back until week 13. If you find yourself a playoff team, then chances are that your WRs aren't hurting you. Good stash if you have the room so your buddies don't grab him but no way he becomes immediately start worthy. He hasn't played in what? Three years? 

2 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Lesson learned: don't do yard work. 

1 minute ago, dlionsfan901 said:

You don’t have to come here and seek justification for dropping a league winner. They Josh Gordon will unleash havioc on fantasy football teams and lead us loyal followers to the promise land. Just pray to Lord Gordon that he has mercy on you and doesn’t play you in the playoffs. Best of luck and God speed.

I wish you were in my league. Gordon is worthless this year...end of story. Have fun with him.

18 minutes ago, BLINDSIDERS said:

Not so fast my friend. He can't come back until week 13. If you find yourself a playoff team, then chances are that your WRs aren't hurting you. Good stash if you have the room so your buddies don't grab him but no way he becomes immediately start worthy. He hasn't played in what? Three years? 

My bet is most naysayers won't be in the playoffs so will not be in a position to make that decision. 

When u are in the playoffs you are looking at your studs, matchups and most importantly player trends. 

If josh is trending as explosive u have to re-evaluate ur flex or wr2 position because those are generally the slots u are willing to tinker with or risk a move assuming ur not stacked with studs

Edited by dashoe

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

My bet is most naysayers won't be in the playoffs so will not be in a position to make that decision. 

When u are in the playoffs you are looking at your studs, matchups and most importantly player trends. 

If josh is trending as explosive u have to re-evaluate ur flex or wr2 position

I completely agree. I just have my doubts as to Gordon becoming fantasy gold this season.

Gordon's on my roster because I'm in a deep-keeper, so of course I have him.  But if it were a re-draft, he'd still be on my roster.  Why?  Because the top three free agent WRs on my wire right now are Brandon Coleman, Bennie Fowler and Adam Humphries.  With "elite" talent like that being the best available, why the heck wouldn't I take a dart throw at Gordon.  If he misses, what am I out?  Coleman, Fowler or Humphries.  And if he does hit, he does it for me -- or more importantly, not against me.

Believers, chill the heck out.  Gordon isn't going to swoop in and give us three weeks of 8-150-2.  The best we could possibly hope for would be half that.  And that would be a miracle, really.

Nay-sayers, go find another topic to troll.  You aren't here to "help" anyone by trying to talk them out of making a bad move, so don't pretend you are.  You're just here to act like jerks.  No one needs that. 

Tomorrow is the day...

giphy.gif

Edited by joshua18

I think I may be one of 3 FF players who have never commented in a Gordon thread, so I will now. I’m in a 14 team league and scooped him up. One of the reason is so someone else doesn’t. I don’t think he will be a FF starter this year. But he could be. And I’d rather he is on my roster than blowing up during the playoffs on someone else’s team, when I could have had him instead of Jaron Brown.

In shallower leagues, I’m sure it’s a different story. I wouldn’t drop someone who has a clearer path to points.

plus, there is a fun factor of having him on my roster. And FF is supposed to be fun, right?