ponza88

Josh Gordon 2017 Season Outlook

anyone know how his contract works? i see this year it says a million next year free agent is that still the case or if because he only plays 5 games this year does he have to stay with the browns for another year? 

You guys are going to get burned bad if you start him. No matter how you slice it, Hoyer, Weeden and Campbell were and are much better quarterbacks than anyone the Browns have now. I know your argument is "just throw it up" but if it's not at least a little bit accurate, it's going to be intercepted or fall incomplete.

This dude hasn't played in 3 years.  There is no way he's in game shape.  I'd be surprised if he's even in "in season NFL shape".  Even if he worked out all the time, there's a difference.  I'd be very afraid of relying on him this season.

2 minutes ago, raltherr said:

This dude hasn't played in 3 years.  There is no way he's in game shape.  I'd be surprised if he's even in "in season NFL shape".  Even if he worked out all the time, there's a difference.  I'd be very afraid of relying on him this season.

Translation:

"I dont have him on my team"

5 minutes ago, raltherr said:

3 years? he played in the preseason last year 

11 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

You guys are going to get burned bad if you start him. No matter how you slice it, Hoyer, Weeden and Campbell were and are much better quarterbacks than anyone the Browns have now. I know your argument is "just throw it up" but if it's not at least a little bit accurate, it's going to be intercepted or fall incomplete.

i wouldnt start him week 13 but imo he is worth the risk 

8 minutes ago, raltherr said:

His value is much greater in keeper leagues. But those that remember how great he was can also envision him being impactful this year. You know the browns have every reason to feed him the ball so they can trade him (I've heard that they will still hold his rights next year).

This is Josh Gordon we're talking about here...

...Staple in my starting lineup since week one, this weeks bye included...

50 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

anyone know how his contract works? i see this year it says a million next year free agent is that still the case or if because he only plays 5 games this year does he have to stay with the browns for another year? 

they control his contract through 2019

8 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

3 years? he played in the preseason last year 

yeah why do people keep saying he hasnt played football in 3yrs as if he has been sitting on his couch eating donuts. Dude crushed it in 2 preseason game last year after 1WEEK OF PRACTICE!

Thats a FACT!!

Josh Gordon is not an average NFL wr, he is a freak athlete and exceptionally gifted football player.

You don't get as many chances to fail as he has had if you were an average talent.

Edited by dashoe

18 minutes ago, raltherr said:

Nobody is relying on him. Either you already have a good lineup and stash him for playoffs, or you are absolute trash anyway and take the flyer. There is no WR with more upside on your wire, I can guarantee that!

26 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

Why are you so sure when even experts can't predict starts of the week a few days in advance. How the hell do you know what Gordon can and will do at the end of the season? You don't. 

13 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Why are you so sure when even experts can't predict starts of the week a few days in advance. How the hell do you know what Gordon can and will do at the end of the season? You don't. 

Nobody does.  Not even Josh Gordon.  You'd be crazy to start him in his first game back.

But if he puts up numbers in his two weeks back, I wouldn't have a problem playing him in the playoffs week 15-16 if I get there.

The byes are almost over.  Not many potential impactful players left.  Why not hold and see?

Edited by RustyMiller

1 minute ago, RustyMiller said:

Nobody does.  Not even Josh Gordon.  You'd be crazy to start him in his first game back.

But if he puts up numbers in his two weeks back, I wouldn't have a problem playing him in the playoffs week 15-16 if I get there.

The byes are almost over.  Not many potential impactful players left.  Why not hold and see?

Exactly.  Nobody knows. But I sure want him on my bench to see what he's got and can do this season. But for people just to write him off is stupidity. 

27 minutes ago, dashoe said:

yeah why do people keep saying he hasnt played football in 3yrs as if he has been sitting on his couch eating donuts. Dude crushed it in 2 preseason game last year after 1WEEK OF PRACTICE!

Thats a FACT!!

Josh Gordon is not an average NFL wr, he is a freak athlete and exceptionally gifted football player.

You don't get as many chances to fail as he has had if you were an average talent.

Don't forget he did that with RGIII throwing to him. Flash made RGIII look like he was about to make a comeback as RGIII was worse than Kessler without JG.

So to sum up the previous 20 posts, get him on your bench or don't. Keep expectations low, but be happy if he blows up. Got it. 

Edited by pikerbkb

2 hours ago, raltherr said:

He'll be at the facility from now until the 20th. Training with the team trainers. He has already been working out like a beast to stay in shape. They should get him close to NFL ready in the next couple weeks, along with getting comfortable with playbook during team meetings. He'll have a week with team practice to get as close as he can to game read and speed up. 

You have a good point to be worried about, but I would think nearly 3 weeks for a gifted athlete that is in shape is enough time to adjust accordingly. 

For all you Josh Gordon owners out there I’m gonna have to burst your bubble.  Remember all the way back in 2014 where he was suspended for the first 10 games?  Well I stashed him week 1 of that season.  Could not wait till he came back for the end of Reg. Season and fantasy playoffs.  What did he do when he came back from that looong layoff?  He averaged 4 rec. for 60 yds. and 0 TDs.  So that whole time I held on to him in hopes for blow up games, it just never happened.  So fast forward 3 long years later.  What do you think he will do?  I know what he won’t be doing. Taking up space on my team.  He burned me once and it won’t happen again.  Honestly if you can still get Coleman, he probably be the safer bet.  Josh Gordon could have went down as one of the best WR of all time but just didn’t have his head on straight.  Million dollar talent, 2 cent brain.

4 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

For all you Josh Gordon owners out there I’m gonna have to burst your bubble.  Remember all the way back in 2014 where he was suspended for the first 10 games?  Well I stashed him week 1 of that season.  Could not wait till he came back for the end of Reg. Season and fantasy playoffs.  What did he do when he came back from that looong layoff?  He averaged 4 rec. for 60 yds. and 0 TDs.  So that whole time I held on to him in hopes for blow up games, it just never happened.  So fast forward 3 long years later.  What do you think he will do?  I know what he won’t be doing. Taking up space on my team.  He burned me once and it won’t happen again.  Honestly if you can still get Coleman, he probably be the safer bet.  Josh Gordon could have went down as one of the best WR of all time but just didn’t have his head on straight.  Million dollar talent, 2 cent brain.

welp that does it.  guess ill drop him now

that small sample size and reichl555's opinion really sold me there.  lets exclude is absurd 2013 season and unmatched raw talent, his 26 year old age with low miles, and strong preseason showing last year too

dropping for brice butler asap

20 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

HAHA! you know it takes a QB to deliver a ball to a wr and an OC that calls the plays? The stats don't say he is a bad wr, more like  Hoyer as the QB 13 games     242 for 438, 3,326 yards, 12 td, 13 int couldnt get on the same page with Josh.

Stuff happens. 

Also major point EVERYONE keeps missing between 2013 and 2014. . . and needs to add to their data point

2013 OC Norv Turner

2104 OC Kyle Shannahan

How did the Hoyer/Shanahan combo work out this season?  :o

Edited by dashoe

6 minutes ago, championship or bust said:

bust of the year?

How would someone that was either drafted in the last few rounds or picked up off the waiver wire be considered a bust?

46 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

For all you Josh Gordon owners out there I’m gonna have to burst your bubble.  

Oh No.  Please, I spent so much capital on him!

Remember all the way back in 2014 where he was suspended for the first 10 games?  

Sure.

Well I stashed him week 1 of that season.

CSB.

Could not wait till he came back for the end of Reg. Season and fantasy playoffs.  

Grats on playoffs.

What did he do when he came back from that looong layoff?  He averaged 4 rec. for 60 yds. and 0 TDs

Ok.

.  So that whole time I held on to him in hopes for blow up games, it just never happened.

Heartbreaking.  Maybe they can make a lifetime movie about how you've been victimized by Josh Gordon's fantasy performance.

So fast forward 3 long years later.  

Ok.

What do you think he will do?

Get targets if he's on the field.

I know what he won’t be doing.

Drugs?

Taking up space on my team.

I'm sure he's heartbroken.

He burned me once and it won’t happen again.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Honestly if you can still get Coleman, he probably be the safer bet.

Ok.

Josh Gordon could have went down as one of the best WR of all time but just didn’t have his head on straight.  Million dollar talent, 2 cent brain.

That's one way to look at it.  The other way to look at it is he schooled NFL cornerbacks while he was high and drunk on the field.  Imagine what he'll do sober?